Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the dyno results were done on the same car, the same shop, the same operator and settings. Timing has spanned 6 months, and fuel was Shell 92 (obviously not the same fill). SAE corrected for weather. Minimum of three runs were taken each time. Yes dyno results will vary based on many factors out of my control. I am sharing these so this community has more data points to make their modification decisions.

OK, here we go - Stock vs FabSpeed exhaust:

Then few months later I added FabSpeed catless headers and SRP (*I also swapped for a quieter Cargraphic Sport exhaust.)

Finally, I replaced the exhaust with OEM as I wanted NO drone versus little drone

This is how the car is today, OEM exhaust, RS60 tips, FabSpeed catless headers and SRP 4.1. I have ~25 more WHP than stock and still the dip at 3,500 RPM. Considering that I have zero drone, I am happy with my result. The only alternative I considered was Capristo, and considering I only want to keep my car for two more years it was just too expensive for me. I do have now a Cargraphic Sport and Tech Art Sound Box exhausts for sale. I traded the FabSpeed for some track 18s! I would consider EPL headers if they eliminated the dip at 3,500 RPM. But I have not had a chance to confirm it would happen with the OEM exhaust. All of this on 92 Octane!

·
Registered
74 Posts
So just FabSpeed catless headers and a good ECU tune will give that boost in performance on every 3.4S ? :eek:

That is amazing, would you expect the same gains even on the new 3.4 DFI engine?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luigi:

On every car I tuned I saw significant increase by removing the first cat or set of cats, like on the Cayman. I would venture to say that stock headers with pre-cats cut out would deliver similar gains.

You need a flash to remove the check engine light caused by the the pre-cat.

Did I mention that there is absolutely NO DRONE, just a Porsche Sport Exhaust like sound?

When I get my DFI, I intend to perform the same modification. I would love to see someone prove it out on a dyno first though.

Tomasz

·
Registered
74 Posts
The engines are completely different, so do you agree we have to wait for new performance parts designed for the DFI engine... ;)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engines are completely different, so do you agree we have to wait for new performance parts designed for the DFI engine... ;)
Yes, the parts have to be new - machined for the new DFI motor. But the approach - OEM exhaust with cat-less headers and software to match would be the modification I would do first.

I am actually SLOWLY shopping for a perfect Gen 2 CS - PASM, LSD, PSE, power seats, xenons, auto mirrors and climate. If I come across one, it will be hard for me not to buy it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
But the approach - OEM exhaust with cat-less headers and software to match would be the modification I would do first.
Tomaz:

I have enjoyed reading about the trials and tribulations of modifying your Cayman S. :) Your exercise has help me decide what to do to my 2006 Boxster S, to wit, swap out the OEM headers and replace them with a catless pair from Maxspeed Motorsports, and then get a FVD flash that can be tuned for said headers.

I appreciate your efforts to find a performance upgrade that does not lead to drone and also keeps the classic Porsche exhaust sound intact.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Professor! Please let us know what your thoughts are after you implement the changes. I also have a bit different question for you. Scan Gauge 2 - have you been able to determine how to use it to read data that is not normally available through OBD2? Durametric will give me the data I want. I would like Scan Gauge to do the same - Oil Temp, Timing Retard, etc.

·
CVR Rally Chair
71 Posts
Thanks for the results. That's the thing about exhausts. You did get some performance gain but the noise really gets to you after a while and I think you start to loose that Porsche sound. Looks like the SRP did most of the trick and it showed the muffler made no difference.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the results. That's the thing about exhausts. You did get some performance gain but the noise really gets to you after a while and I think you start to loose that Porsche sound. Looks like the SRP did most of the trick and it showed the muffler made no difference.
Hmm, you are making error made by many - focusing on the top end. While the difference the exhaust makes at 3,500 RPM is night and day difference that you feel all the time. The peak power is somethign that you get to once in a while. Still not worth the drone trade off to me.

I also would struggle to allocate all the gains to SRP. There are many (3 that I trust) dynos that show SRP making no difference when combined with stock exhaust/headers. Although I would have loved to dyno them separately, but since you can not run headers without a flash, and many proponents for SRP claim that in order to get more power you need to help breathing... I consider SRP requiring either an exhaust or headers or both to really shine.

Tomasz

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks Professor! Please let us know what your thoughts are after you implement the changes. I also have a bit different question for you. Scan Gauge 2 - have you been able to determine how to use it to read data that is not normally available through OBD2? Durametric will give me the data I want. I would like Scan Gauge to do the same - Oil Temp, Timing Retard, etc.
I will let you know my impressions of the headers and flash once installed. Right now I am setting up my Mac to run Windows XP so that I can carry out the flash. I hope to have this done by the end of the week and the flash installed next week, but maybe I am optimistic.

I have not tried to get my Scan Gauge II to read the "extra" data, as I am happy having it display the mode (open- or closed-loop), intake air temperature, water temperature, and timing advance. I have attached a pdf file with the x-gauge information that permits additional information to be read. My Scan Gauge II is older, so I would have to send it back to them for an upgrade before I could implement the x-gauge commands.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yup, at his shop. We have been there twice now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So it looks like the 2K+ exhausts out there do nothing for power, just sound. If you want to add power just get a set of catless headers and a ECU reflash? What's the most "cost effective" set of headers for this car while still having decent quality?

·
Registered
317 Posts
So it looks like the 2K+ exhausts out there do nothing for power, just sound. If you want to add power just get a set of catless headers and a ECU reflash? What's the most "cost effective" set of headers for this car while still having decent quality?
I installed a set of the NHP catless race headers from Maxspeed Motorsports, which you can find here: Porsche Boxster 987 / Cayman NHP Racing Headers. They are $850 and a 10% off special is being run at this time. They are of the same design as the Fabspeed headers Tomaz installed. I also purchased the FVD flash for the DME. At the time I purchased the flash, it was on special for $500. I could not be more happy with the combination—no drone, more grunt, and more of the classic Porsche flat-six exhaust note!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I installed a set of the NHP catless race headers from Maxspeed Motorsports, which you can find here: Porsche Boxster 987 / Cayman NHP Racing Headers. They are $850 and a 10% off special is being run at this time. They are of the same design as the Fabspeed headers Tomaz installed. I also purchased the FVD flash for the DME. At the time I purchased the flash, it was on special for $500. I could not be more happy with the combination—no drone, more grunt, and more of the classic Porsche flat-six exhaust note!

Did you dyno the NHP headers and see if it made the same power?

·
Registered
317 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts