Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thumb button on my e-brake has been getting harder and harder to push. Well, now I can't release the e-brake at all. The lever is all the way up and all the force I (and a strong kid in my office) could muster couldn't depress the button.

The dealer didn't have any suggestions, nor did Porsche roadside assistance. They'll be here in an hour with a tow dolly. Anyone else ever have a sticky e-brake button?

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Did you try pulling the lever up to relieve pressure on it and pushing the button in at the same time?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you try pulling the lever up to relieve pressure on it and pushing the button in at the same time?
Well, yes. That's the normal way to release it. Unfortunately, since the release button is jammed and I kept pulling up trying to free it, the lever is pretty much at the top of its range.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
i think he is saying to put a little pressure on the handle to relieve the tension on the pawl/ratchet.....i would say to give the button a good wack while this is happening....good luck

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Sounds silly, but is it cold and icy? Maybe the e brake line froze. When I was learning to drive, many moons ago, I was never allowed to use the ebrake in the winter for that reason. I grew up in an area that got bitterly cold and wouldn't you know it the one time I used the damn thing it froze up.....

Best of luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, it's sunny and 50 degrees. The dealer is replacing the release mechanism since something is deformed or broken. I get it back on Thursday and will get more details on how/why it failed. The service rep asked if it would be inconvenient to wait until Thursday. I said no before I realized that I coulda maybe gotten a nice loaner. Shucks. I'll ask what kinda cars they have for loaners.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In future, if you remove the bottom of the glove box (one torx) then you will see the tensioning wheel for the hand brake. You could effect a field repair by taking the tension off of the handbrake lever by moving the wheel towards the handbrake. This or disconnect the wheel to release the brake. It could be enough to get you home for a more in depth diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In future, if you remove the bottom of the glove box (one torx) then you will see the tensioning wheel for the hand brake. You could effect a field repair by taking the tension off of the handbrake lever by moving the wheel towards the handbrake. This or disconnect the wheel to release the brake. It could be enough to get you home for a more in depth diagnosis and repair.
Thanks. Fortunately, the dealer is nearby and the tow truck used a dolly without touching any body parts.

The dealer replaced the handbrake mechanism, as the parts weren't meshing properly. Just one of those rare manufacturing defects, I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts