Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
No, they're changing the rules to allow 15% ethanol during the summer. Previously it was only allowed in the winter.

It's not a requirement either way, and E15 is pretty rare. Personally I've never seen anyplace selling E15 in California.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Seems like lots of things would need addressed. Signage on pumps. Do storage tanks have to empty and then refill? Especially if you don’t want to use ethanol? If damage occurs. Who is responsible if it’s just “put” into the tanks at Filling stations. Motor boats especially do not need ethanol.

·
253 Posts
I know, the EPA said "most cars" after 2001 are compliant, but that's not true. Certainly, my 987.2 is not (according to the manual)... but neither is my wife's Jetta SE 2.5. That's not even a high performance vehicle or anything, which makes me wonder whether this statement is even true.

In any case, it seems that E15 will only be offered where it was previously... and it's an extra option, not the "standard" offering (ie, E10 shouldn't be going away). But it is concerning for sure. In my area (CT) we don't normally see E15 ever, but I will have to keep an eye out.

This reminds me of the old 85-octane I had seen back in the day in NY. I didn't know who would use that, but I certainly avoided it as I didn't know of any car that supported that officially, but hey, whatever. As long as the existing standard doesn't go away, they can do what they want...

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I wonder what Porsche says about using E15? Does E15 affect direct injection motors more that port injected ones?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been using 90 octane Ethanol-free gas for a few tanks now as my grocery store changed their pumps to add it and I get the reward points. Saved 60cents a gallon the other day. :)

I have not noticed any perceptible difference from the normal 93 octane 10% ethanol premium I used to use.

·
253 Posts
Good info. I'd expect the 90-octane may be forcing the engine to detune for knock.. which would cost some performance.

Given that, the only difference I'd expect you to see is an improvement in mpg. I would be interested to hear if that is affected.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wonder what Porsche says about using E15? Does E15 affect direct injection motors more that port injected ones?
I believe that 2019 and newer Porsches are designed to accept E15.

It shows up here in the midwest regularly as a "mid-grade". The pumps are always clearly labelled so that it's easy to avoid.

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
359 Posts
From LN Engineering:
"Porsche only approves the use of E10 for watercooled engines starting with the Boxster in 1997 and the 911 (996) in 1999 and all subsequent models. Older Porsche models are approved to use only up to 5% ethanol. Under no circumstances should you ever use E15 fuel in any of your Porsche vehicles (or any car not designed to run E15), otherwise you may damage fuel system components or cause engine damage."

FWIW I'm in Memphis and have never seen E15.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
That is why we are discussing the possibility of the gov changing the rule about E10 to E15 starting in the summer. Maybe my distributors locally will have a E-15 92 octane available. My engine then can add spark advance as the ethanol runs cooler and has less spark detonation issues from my research. The downside is water retention in ethanol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From LN Engineering:
"Porsche only approves the use of E10 for watercooled engines starting with the Boxster in 1997 and the 911 (996) in 1999 and all subsequent models. Older Porsche models are approved to use only up to 5% ethanol. Under no circumstances should you ever use E15 fuel in any of your Porsche vehicles (or any car not designed to run E15), otherwise you may damage fuel system components or cause engine damage."

FWIW I'm in Memphis and have never seen E15.
Thanks for that info, Bill. That was my assumption so I'll be using non-ethanol gasoline this summer!

·
Vendor
1,025 Posts
Thanks for that info, Bill. That was my assumption so I'll be using non-ethanol gasoline this summer!
An interesting yet truthful thread on ethanol. I would always suggest using non ethanol when possible yet many states you have no choice unfortunately. The Cayenne's have a higher ethanol tolerance from their build as ethanol is corrosive to certain types of materials and one being AL. I think with the issues in the Ukraine and possible shortages it would be more advantageous for our farmers grow grain such as wheat and barley etc. . Just my thinking. Then again they get paid more as a subsidy to grow something that goes in a gas tank and as a rule a corn that isn't as edible .....

Just my 2 cents yet with the inflation maybe 10?

Best,
Scott

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Ethanol itself is a joke —an answer to a question no one asked. It takes more energy to produce than it returns as a fuel.

I tolerate E10 because our cars were engineered to tolerate it. If they roll out E15 in my area I’ll be looking for the highest octane PureGas offered in my area.

·
Vendor
1,025 Posts
Ethanol itself is a joke —an answer to a question no one asked. It takes more energy to produce than it returns as a fuel.

I tolerate E10 because our cars were engineered to tolerate it. If they roll out E15 in my area I’ll be looking for the highest octane PureGas offered in my area.
About 1.2 gal of E85 to 1 gal of Petrol....

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Scott, I have your race kit on my M97 engine and an updated Softronic Flash. Now, could you supply us with new fuel maps that take advantage of E-15 Ethanol properties. Give us some ideas on what the benefits of your new flash would do.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts