Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears after searching that Porsche and members here suggest that E85 ethanol blend should be off limits. I filled up with 93 octane the other day and afterward noticed a small E85 sticker on the pump. The engine felt a little friskier but my mpg seems to have suffered.

The highest octane we have in Omaha is 91 w/o ethanol and I will be switching back to that unless I hear otherwise.

Dave

·
Registered
992 Posts
It appears after searching that Porsche and members here suggest that E85 ethanol blend should be off limits. I filled up with 93 octane the other day and afterward noticed a small E85 sticker on the pump. The engine felt a little friskier but my mpg seems to have suffered.

The highest octane we have in Omaha is 91 w/o ethanol and I will be switching back to that unless I hear otherwise.

Dave
Your engine should not have felt friskier. The reason that your mileage suffered is because Ethanol has considerably less energy per volume as gasoline. So, you should've had less power and efficiency. Ethanol is a lousy fuel and exists simply for political reasons (Farm lobbyists get big subsidies for producing it).

·
Registered
363 Posts
E85 can corrode seals, fuel lines, and o-rings on vehicles not specifically designed to run the fuel. The energy output per gallon is less than gasoline so you would burn more gallons to go XX miles than you would with gasoline.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Under no circumstances should you be using E85 ethanol in your car. This is a blend that contains 85% ethanol and the only vehicles that can use this fuel are those specifically designed for it.

What is widely used is E10, a 10% ethanol blend, which is acceptable for use in our cars. In fact, that is the only type of fuel that is currently available in most of the New England states.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
E10 is the only stuff here in southeast Texas, and it was still corrosive enough to wipe out the fuel pump and various gaskets in my Volvo (2001 S60 T5). True, that took some 90K mi but imagine what E85 would have done?

Ever look at 90% EtOH when you pour it into a bathroom sink? It does not mix well with others.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies - I felt compelled to contact the station to inquire further about the fuel and the Manager stated that the 93 octane is 10% ethanol. The lower octane fuel at one of the pumps is E85.

Thanks for the feedback but I am sure my car will be okay!

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.