Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure which series of VIN digits help with estimate.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Brad: I'm so glad you liked it. I had a great straight man. Hope zedd didn't mind.

zedd: I wasn't sure what you were getting at. I think the earliest Caymans were PAG test cars; then came the silver launch cars. Most or all of those cars probably had last four VIN numbers less than 1000. The completion date for my car was 11/17/05 and the last four numbers of the VIN are 1101. I closed the deal on 1/11/06, but some people across the pond were driving their Caymans before that.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: earliest MY 2006 car?

My last for numbers .....0621.

Maybe a selling attribute 20 years from now if I can prove a don't have a left over "small bolt" in my IMS setup.

I like the barn foram reference. :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Re: earliest MY 2006 car?

So you're the one with old "780621"? And it's black too? If it's one of the few black launch cars, that alone would make it relatively rare, but for added market value, get Hurley Haywood to drive it around Daytona.

·
Registered
168 Posts
How about "77" numbering: 770657 but only got it as used a year ago.

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
How about "77" numbering: 770657 but only got it as used a year ago.
78 is in the US, 77 is not in the US and since cars roll down the assembly line at the same time, hard to say really which was built first between say 780657 and 770657, etc. actually I thought 77's were base Caymans which would mean they didn't come out until 07, but maybe I have that mixed up at the moment, I know that numbers repeat each year as well so earlier numbers in the vin determine the year.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I may learn something here that I don't want to (ignorance is bliss) but I have an 08 CS with a build date of 7/9/2007 and my VIN is 780091.

Huh?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Gil: As Ken said above, the last numbers start over every year. Your car was built in 2007, so the number just before the "U" (indicating assembly plant) will be "7".

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks Jim, I obviously didn't read Ken's post carefully enough. Additionally, I remembered that the last 5 numbers of the VIN on my old Ferrari 308 was sequential regardless of model (they are now up to 6 numbers).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts