Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will likely be in the market for a Cayman only in the spring of 2018. So I?m thinking about placing a custom order around mid-May or early June under the assumption that that is when ordering for the 2019 MY opens up (and the 2018 MY closes).

So I?m assuming that we?re looking at late August/ early September 2018 for the delivery at the dealer. Is this realistic?

Thanks in advance.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I've done this twice now so I can provide some info for you. Generally, Porsche changes the production of their model year on June 1st of the prior year. This timeline changes if it is a new model (like the 2017 911 was available way earlier than that - you could order that in the fall of 2015). The earliest you can get the car is via European Delivery. So for Example, I got my 2014 Boxster S on July 11th, 2013 in Stuttgart and my 2018 911 on July 6th 2017 in Leipzig. Both were June builds. The guy who bought the car a week before me got the previous year's model and a years worth of depreciation so timing is everything.

If you are not doing European delivery then you have to wait for shipment back. It takes about 4 weeks on the east coast and 6 weeks on the west coast. In Florida, you will be about 4 weeks and three days. (this is an average and matches with my experience on shipment back from Europe). Of course there are a lot of variations too. Some cars will sit in Emden for 2 weeks waiting for a ship. Some cars get held up at ports. Porsche advertises much longer shipping times to manage expectations and then usually beats their estimate.

The other key point to know to get your car the earliest is to get your dealership to secure a June allocation for build. If you did this, you could get the car as early as August. This is hard to do since many dealerships are getting those allocations for their own show rooms. It was easier for me since I was doing European delivery but the dealership still had to barter with other dealership for my last June allocation.

If you pushed your dealership, you might be able to get it in August 2018. September should be no problem.

The June allocations come to dealership on or about April 1st so start talking to your dealership in March.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can chime in as well since I took delivery of one of the first 2018 718s -- in mid-August. If it wasn't for the EPA/CARB emissions holdup, I'd have gotten my car as early as Aug. 3.

I nailed down a June allocation at my dealer in early May, but other customers I know of did the same more than a month before that. So subshooter's advice is sound.

That said, the original delivery date for my car was in the last week of September. It was bumped up through forces totally beyond any dealer's control: Porsche AG's decision to make a significant run of 2018 718s at both Stuttgart and Zuffenhausen before the European summer plant shutdown, which generally lasts from mid-July through August. Thing is, that decision was not done for the 2017 models -- and it will be a crapshoot for you to assume that you'll get a 2019 model in August because market forces may make building that large of an advance run impractical for Porsche.

So, in a nutshell: You want a June allocation, and let your dealer know that by late March or early April. That won't guarantee you'll get the car in August, but it will guarantee that you'll get one of the first 2019s.

·
Registered
832 Posts
This is a bit confusing. Are you all saying that if I order a car from the dealer I can not specify the model year? That does not make sense. I would think I could go to my dealer specify what I wanted and the model year and they would make sure that is what I got. Not so?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
This is a bit confusing. Are you all saying that if I order a car from the dealer I can not specify the model year? That does not make sense. I would think I could go to my dealer specify what I wanted and the model year and they would make sure that is what I got. Not so?
Yes, that is what I am saying but you can only do this during the transition between MYs. When I bought my Boxster, I initially got a 2013 allocation since I ordered in March of 2013. I got smart on these forums and called my SA back 2 weeks later and asked (begged) him to switch my order to a 2014 allocation. He did. Four years later, I bought a 911 from the same guy. Same deal. European delivery, 5% off, next model year build/allocation.

In the Spring during the transition period between model years, many dealers will have both the current and future MY allocations. For example, if you went to your dealer in April of 2018, he may have a MY 2018 May build allocation still available. He may also have a June allocation for MY 2019 available as well. Of course they want to sell you the current year allocation because they want to get rid of that one.

P.S. Switching my Boxster from a 2013 to a 2014 Boxster got me rev matching with my manual. It is awesome.

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I will check with dealers in March/April.

On a related note, I spoke to a sales rep about two weeks ago who told me that 2019 allocations would arrive only in November 2018. I assume this is BS intended to force me to go with a 2018 allocation.

I have a related question regarding European Delivery, but I'll post that in a separate thread.

·
Registered
148 Posts
On a related note, I spoke to a sales rep about two weeks ago who told me that 2019 allocations would arrive only in November 2018. I assume this is BS intended to force me to go with a 2018 allocation.
That is 100 percent BS. Porsche dealers are selling next-year-model cars on their own lots by September, fer cryin' out loud.

Honestly, if a specific dealer's trying to pull that kind of misinformation shenanigan on you, I'd strongly consider doing business with another dealer -- or, at the very least, ask to deal with another salesperson. I would do a bit of research to find out which specific salespeople buyers seem to be happiest with, particularly with selling Porsche's sports cars (911, 718). Buyers of those models tend to be far more well informed about things and, thus, far less likely to be hoodwinked with misinformation. Good salespeople know this, and adjust accordingly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I will check with dealers in March/April.

I have a related question regarding European Delivery, but I'll post that in a separate thread.
Did you receive your 2019 Cayman yet? I want to order one and I don't even see them on parking lots yet. One dealer told me they don't have their 2019 allocation yet. Another dealer tells me that once they enter the order in the system they will have a build date for me in 24 hours. What was your experience?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.