Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to swap out my original Moll battery with an Interstate in the morning. There's not enough juice to start the motor but just enough to keep the aux power going. Is there a way I can swap batteries without losing codes, etc? I don't want to have to pull the head unit to get the codes. I have a battery maintainer on the way but it will not arrive for another week. Can I use a battery charger, jumper cables or ??? to keep a power source?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used jumper cables (although not sure I needed to with a 2005). Jumper the new battery to the connectors before removing the old battery. Then carefully swap the batteries without disturbing the jumper cables. Once the cables are secured to the posts on the new battery, disconnect the jumper cables.

As long as my front truck light remained lit, I knew I was successful.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Would a 9vt battery plugged into a power socket maintain the codes?

It works on older cars to maintain the radio presets.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
I need to swap out my original Moll battery with an Interstate in the morning. There's not enough juice to start the motor but just enough to keep the aux power going. Is there a way I can swap batteries without losing codes, etc? I don't want to have to pull the head unit to get the codes. I have a battery maintainer on the way but it will not arrive for another week. Can I use a battery charger, jumper cables or ??? to keep a power source?
What year car do you have? If you have a 987, you don't need to worry about losing codes or station presets. I swap my battery out routinely going to the track, and never have to reset anything except the clock.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
As KS-CS says you can swap the battery without issue. I've even had mine diconnected for 10 minutes and still not had to reprogram anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up swapping out the batteries and the codes remained (unlike my previous 986). However, the battery I have is longer than the Moll and I'll have to take the battery out and rearrange the bolts to the last hole. I'm sure the process will take me 10-20 minutes max. Should i just pick up a CTEK maintainer to play it safe? I don't have the codes and my nearest dealer is 2 hours away.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I think you would need to leave the battery disconnected for a lot longer, probably hours, for the memory to be lost on any of the controllers.

Mine was out for over 10 minues easily and may well have been a lot longer, and no issues.

The bolt down holes are there already so it should be a straight forward swap anyway.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
FYI - My recent experience (two weeks ago) was that Interstate had the wrong battery code listed on the net and in their reference books; it was almost two inches too long. I went back and got a size that fit the tray without modification.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI - My recent experience (two weeks ago) was that Interstate had the wrong battery code listed on the net and in their reference books; it was almost two inches too long. I went back and got a size that fit the tray without modification.

I picked up the series 49 from Walmart. It was the only battery available in my area with an actual vent. It was also only $79 so I didn't think twice. It's longer but still fits in the tray.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just replaced a completely dead battery this morning and didnt have to reset anything but the clock either. I had to drive it for a couple minutes and manually put the windows all the way down then back up and after that, everything was good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.