Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Vivid Racing ECU flash I have ordered for my '14 BS will purportedly add 30 HP. What will this do to engine longevity and reliability, if anything, and why?

I will be pleased with 30 extra horses. I will likely push the car harder. More revs equal more ring and bearing wear, with the increase in the wear curve rising faster with greater RPMs.

Will there be more stress and wear than that caused by higher RPMs?

Consider my vintage MGB race car. If I race at wide open throttle (WOT),which is what you want as much as possible in road racing, I can predict an engine life between refreshing of 20-25 hours.

If I change the compression from 13:1 to 15:1 and still race WOT as much as possible, time between refreshing might be 5-10 hours. I have added stress to the motor beyond high RPM stress.

Does an ECU flash affect reliability/ longevity only because one tends to rev the motor higher and longer? Or is this like raising compression or adding a blower, which further reduces engine longevity because of increased internal stresses?

And what, exactly, is that stressor? More HP? An ECU does not result in higher compression, does it? You can't rev higher than before the flash, can you? Is the fact that it can do more "work"---30 more HP---going to lessen reliability? 30 HP? Is that a material number relative to diminished reliability?

Someone who understands how an ECU flash adds HP and how that relates to reliability please explain.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The Vivid Racing ECU flash I have ordered for my '14 BS will purportedly add 30 HP. What will this do to engine longevity and reliability, if anything, and why?

I will be pleased with 30 extra horses. I will likely push the car harder. More revs equal more ring and bearing wear, with the increase in the wear curve rising faster with greater RPMs.

Will there be more stress and wear than that caused by higher RPMs?

Consider my vintage MGB race car. If I race at wide open throttle (WOT),which is what you want as much as possible in road racing, I can predict an engine life between refreshing of 20-25 hours.

If I change the compression from 13:1 to 15:1 and still race WOT as much as possible, time between refreshing might be 5-10 hours. I have added stress to the motor beyond high RPM stress.

Does an ECU flash affect reliability/ longevity only because one tends to rev the motor higher and longer? Or is this like raising compression or adding a blower, which further reduces engine longevity because of increased internal stresses?

And what, exactly, is that stressor? More HP? An ECU does not result in higher compression, does it? You can't rev higher than before the flash, can you? Is the fact that it can do more "work"---30 more HP---going to lessen reliability? 30 HP? Is that a material number relative to diminished reliability?

Someone who understands how an ECU flash adds HP and how that relates to reliability please explain.
Does the 911 have less reliability than your Boxster using the same engine?

Remember this same engine is already produced in multiple HP versions already from Porsche. The 315 HP Boxster, 325 HP Cayman S, 340 HP Spyder and 350 HP in the base 911. All using the same base engine components.

The ultimate output depending on which model you buy is being computer controlled by the ECU, so you aren't doing anything with an ECU tune other than unlocking the power that is already there for the other models direct from the factory

No one is going to be able to provide you with any empirical data showing that adding 30HP to your motor decreases reliability by X amount. And no, tunes do not change compression ratio. That is purely mechanical based on bore/stroke and piston geometry. The rev limits will also not be changed, at least they are unchanged on the most popular tunes such as the Cobb and FVD tunes.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Given the over design of the engine I doubt that 30 hp will have any measurable effect of reliability. Now, please follow up after you get the ECU flash and let us know what a difference you notice both good and bad. My experience is, for non-turbo engines, that ECU flash make little noticeable difference in performance, worsen gas milage, and sometimes effect cold starting. Please let us know. Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I will update after I install the Softronic ECU flash.

I will also comment on the following which should arrive soon from Schnell: adjustable rear AR bar, front tower brace, and rear chassis stiffener.

I deferred purchase of X73 because the stock suspension and ride height is so well calebrated. My sense is that adjustable AR bars at both ends along with more compliant springs, plus lateral stiffening, is the optimal package for my intended 85 % road / 15 % track use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts