Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give a head's up to the 981 crowd about the failure modes for coils.

I was driving along on my daily commute and about 20-min in, all hell broke loose. It started with a PSM fail message, followed a few seconds afterward by an ECU fault and Auto Start/Stop fail message. Car started running like crap - felt like I was driving over serrated pavement. I limped on to work and set on to figure out what to do next.

The first thing that popped into my mind was maybe a faulty battery - it is 4 years old and it's consistently in the high 90's to 100's in Texas this time of year - perfect recipe for a failed battery. I've heard these symptoms are typical for that. I pulled into the lot at work and turned off the car and tried a restart - still running like crap and the fail messages reappeared.

I decided to wait until lunch, let the car cool, and maybe the problem would go away temporarily for me to get home and pull the codes. At lunch, the car started right up. Check engine light was still on, but the car was running fine. I decided to give it a try to make it home to pull the codes. About the same thing happened. It was great on the freeway, but after about 20 mins as I slowed down at my exit, the warning messages re-appeared and engine started running like crap again.

Limped home the remaining 2 miles and pulled out the code reader. A lot of codes - several PSM comm fail messages, cyl 5 misfire, cyl 5 soft shutdown - now I knew why it was running lousy - it was only using 5 cylinders. I don't have the code readout in front of me - I'll add the full set of codes I pulled later.

I had changed the plugs about 8K miles ago, so I was fairly sure that wasn't the problem. My next guess was the coil. I had hoped that Porsche had perfected the coil-on-plug design since the crappy coils on my 2004 Mazda 6, but alas, I guess not. I'd put quite a few high-temp track days on the car this spring, so I'm guessing that contributed to the (pre-mature?) failure.

Long story short - cylinder 5 coil.

Looks like they have redesigned the coil since the late-2013 production run for my car. Latest coil is a rev-07. I'll probably plan to replace the full set later this fall when it cools off. I was talking to another 981BS owner and he indicated PCNA replaced his entire set under warranty after a second coil failure. So, it sounds like this may be a common problem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I replaced all my coils on my 987.2 this past winter after 1 went bad. The old coils were revision 4 and replaced with revision 7. I don't know if the 981 and 987.2 use the same coils. I doubt it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two weeks ago I had exactly the same problem on my 2014 Cayman GTS. The coil for cylinder 5 was replaced under warranty. This was the next day after a full service from my Porsche centre, which included replacing all the spark plugs.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had that sort of thing in January. My description was it sounded like an American V8, horrible vibrations, and lots of different lights on. I limped the mile into work, then got the car flat-bedded to the dealer. They replaced the coil under warranty. Everything's been fine since.

Ours was build July of 2015, and the warranty is up at the end of August, I should get him looked at.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why is your warranty up if the car was built in July 2015?
You should still have another full year to go.

4 years/50k miles.

I received mine June of 2015, and the time doesn't run out until June 2019, but I will hit the 50k mark later this year, easily (just under 41k miles right now).

BC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, newbie here - just picked up a 2014 Cayman w/ 40k miles. Put 300 miles on it when the PSM and Auto Start/Stop came on. However there was no CEL and car runs fine. Once it just disappeared when running, other times only reset when restarted. Any ideas on the fix?

·
Registered
34,172 Posts
This is still likely to be a bad coil. Do a search as the bad coils can be intermittent (as in my case). Also check for codes. Porsche does not normally replace coils as part of the 4 year service however my SA suggested replacing the coils after 40k miles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looked up coils and yes, sounds like it, but didn’t have any rough running (knock in wood). Dealer gives a 60 day full guarantee for mechanical operation. Let’s see how this works out. The sparkplugs are recommended for replacement @ 40k Miles, I didn’t see anything about coils.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Could also be the wheel speed sensor. They can be intermittent. I just had this happen and am replacing all four. The most common cause of those faults are ignition coils, brake light switch, and wheel speed sensors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brought the car back and they said there were no codes recorded for the PSM and Auto Start / Stop. I did photo the messages but they need a code to diagnose. They’ll have it for a few days to see if they can replicate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2014 Boxster and got this exact same situation on Sunday. Taking it to the dealer on Thursday. Hopefully they replace all these faulty coils as it appears to be a reoccurring problem for some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Just ordered a new set of -07 coil packs for my Cayman. Next time in shop I will have plugs and the packs changed and 991 heat shields added.

I had a set of new -07s in hand until I had my Boxster serviced in April and the shop changed them all as preventive medicine.

V6

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After losing a second coil, I bought the heat shields. I put the upper heat shields on, but have to remove the headers to get the other two lower shields installed. It's too hot in my Texas garage to go through that right now, so that's a job for the fall. I just keep a spare coil on hand just in case.

I really wonder why these heat shields weren't standard equipment on 981's. It would seem the 981's have as bad or worse heat issues than the 991's due to the engine placement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts