Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Just picked up a 2008 987.1 Cayman S and it came with a tune on it to run 100 octane fuel. I'd very much like to keep that tune in tack and then purchase a separate ECU to run 93 octane. The car is set up as a GTB1 car so I'd love to keep the 100 octane for GTB1 races but then run 93 octane for HPDE events.

Any idea what's involved with doing that? I can certainly have the ECU re-flashed back to a 93 octane tune but then I can't bump it back up to 100 octane for GTB1 races.

Thanks!

Chris

P.S. - This is a track only car if that matters.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Do you know where the tune came from?

·
Registered
832 Posts
You could call ITC to see what fuel additive you can use to boost the octane level close enough 100 to run HPDE's. They are not as stressing to your engine, developing heat in the pistons, rings, heads as a full on race. I spoke to Scott at Softronics about a 100 octane race file for my 07 Cayman S. He suggested that if it were only used as a race car at sea level, he would do it, but that's not what I am doing. He suggested a lower octane fuel map (93) and suggested a fuel additive to make up the difference. I am not sure you can go from 91 to 100 octane with a fuel additive, but a sea level you might be close enough to prevent pinging.

The alternative is to call Scott at Softronics, explain your situation and have him remap (flash) an old junkyard 08 Cayman ECU that you installed in your car for HPDE's. You could then decide which to use as your GTB1 race ECU. I would suggest that Scott's version may surprise you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts