Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am researching what I should offer on a new 2009 Porsche Cayman base model and I notice huge discrepancies between what I find on these two websites which profess to help consumers find out what others in my area have paid.

For a typically optioned Cayman with PDK, the average paid for my area is listed on Edmunds as $55,000 but the average paid claimed by True Car for my area is only $50,219.

I find it amazing that two websites that profess to help consumers by providing real prices paid, can be so far off from each other on actual prices paid.

Any insights as to how this can happen?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently noticed this also when attempting to negotiate off
of a TrueCar report.

The dealer claimed that the TrueCar invoice price was incorrect.
TrueCar claims invoice on a base Cayman, no options, is $43,550 while actual
dealer cost is $42,695. While Edmunds shows only an invoice
price of $45,090.

Edmunds claim of what people are paying is $48,528, while TrueCar
claims a more consumer friendly number of $44,500.

I noted that the difference between dealer cost for TrueCar and
invoice for Edmunds is about the same as the difference between the
final price paid claims.

Does anybody have any insight here? I've seen reports of 13% off MSRP
which approaches the TrueCar price, but wasn't able to negotiate that
at my local dealer.

If I can find the color combo I want sand beige interior, anything exterior
except black and the two lighter grays, and not over-optioned at or
below the average price TrueCar reports being paid, I'd write a check
and drive off with the car.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow! I had given up on this thread, but thanks for responding.

True Car seems a bit low. The Edmunds TMV price seems a bit high. I imagine Porsche dealers will gladly show you Edmunds TMV as soon as you attempt to negotiate price. True Car average seems to be almost 14%% off MSRP on 2009 Caymans. At least 10% off should be realistic. That's why when you bring up price and the dealer shows you the high Edmunds TMV price and refuses to budge, you can simply get up and say "I'm sorry. I will shop around. Call me with your best price, if you wish."

True Car indicates that the spread between MSRP and average price paid is close to 14% on a 2009 Base Cayman. Edmunds has it at only 6%. The average between them is 10%, which is the minimum discount I would expect from MSRP on an outgoing 2009 Cayman sitting and gathering dust on a dealer's lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts