28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing the web i found Michelin Pilot Super Sports:

245/40 19 for $237
275/40 19 for $298

Why such a big price difference from the factory specified:

235/40 19
265/40 19

on a 981 with factory wheels, front 8x19 57 offset, rear 9.5x19 45 mm offset.

Would there be a significant change in fit, performance and safety if fitting this size ?
Any issues with rubbing ?
And yes i have read all 8 pages of the previous post. Just did not find a definitive answer.

Any feedback ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
499 Posts
hey! Well first off its just more material for the tire, it may also be a less popular tire size, this would make for lower production numbers and less of an effect of economy of scale. Basically it means, the smaller, more popular tires will cost less because they require less material and they sell higher volumes of those sizes.

Different tire tread patterns may be to blame, maybe that new tire patter is a 'new generation', 'higher tech' tire.

May also be the brand, if you're switching brands of tires it could be a million different reasons why the price is different.

·
Revhead
366 Posts
Pricing is affected by supply and demand. If a tire size is popular and sells a lot, the price will tend to be lower than for odd sizes that tend to sit on the shelves. As for whether an extra 10mm in section width is going to make any difference... there would be no noticeable change in handling characteristics, your speedo would read a little slower than with the OEM sizes (which would result in it being closer to your actual speed instead of around 5% optimistic as it comes from the factory), and you should have no trouble with fitment or rubbing unless you're running spacers.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Pretty much the idea is if you don't run more than 1% of overall circumference difference, then nothing to sweat about. The sizes you presented work out to roughly 1.1% in difference: http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/ So it's totally fine. Margin of error from difference in tread left and maybe even tire brands would have small diff there as well.

As for the small difference in width (about 10mm), it shouldn't be a problem provided you keep the stagger the same (i.e. 30mm, and I wouldn't mess with that). You get wider tires just by changing to another brand like Yokohama anyway. PSS tires have fairly round shoulders and the tires are actually a little narrower in comparison to something like AD08R. So running 245 + 275 PSS wouldn't be end of the world.

As for pricing, it's all supply and demand.

Disclaimer: drive safely, and I'm not responsible for any accidents that may be involved due to tire changes etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Insightful input Zinger and thanks for the link, i have an extra set of wheels and might try this set up with the wider PSS. Hopefully there are others that have tried this set up and would chime in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts