Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a new set of wheels, but I'd like to keep my current tires because they're pretty new. I know the OEM 20" wheels are 8" wide in the front and 9.5" wide in the back. I'd prefer to just keep the same width, but I'm noticing that a lot of wheel designs don't seem to be offered in 20"x8". If I go up in size to 20"x8.5" in front and 20"x10" in back it looks like I can still mount the same tires, but will that have a noticeable effect on handling? What about tire wear or mileage?

Alternatively, anyone know any great wheels that are made in the same size as the OEM ones?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm looking at getting a new set of wheels, but I'd like to keep my current tires because they're pretty new. I know the OEM 20" wheels are 8" wide in the front and 9.5" wide in the back. I'd prefer to just keep the same width, but I'm noticing that a lot of wheel designs don't seem to be offered in 20"x8". If I go up in size to 20"x8.5" in front and 20"x10" in back it looks like I can still mount the same tires, but will that have a noticeable effect on handling? What about tire wear or mileage?

Alternatively, anyone know any great wheels that are made in the same size as the OEM ones?
Short answer: Probably not much effect on handling or wear, if any at all.

Obviously, if you have wider tries, there's a bigger contact patch but with the same size tire on wider wheels, the contact patch will be very close to the same if not the same.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Have you ever seen a Low Rider? We have a lot of them here in LA. They put skinny tires on wide rims. That's what your car will look like! lol And you will have no change in cornering traction. Have Fun.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The wheels size is within specs of your OEM size 235/265-35R20. It actually fits better if you ask me.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Conventional wisdom is wider wheels = better performance for the same size tire (at least to a point) due to the geometry. If you look at racing classes where tire size is limited but wheels aren't, they'll often stretch tires onto wheels so wide you'd think they're trying to stance it. (Meanwhile, the car beside it with the class that limits wheels size but not tire will have massive tires stuffed onto way too small of a rim.)

I recently went from 8x18 & 9x18" wheels to 8.5x18 & 10x18" for performance reasons and it's not much much of a seat-of-the-pants difference. I don't think you'll even notice.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Should be fine. It will just stretch the tires a little bit. Porsche Sport Techno wheels are .5 inches wider than stock and use the same tire size from the factory. With the wider wheels you can easily go up one size to 245/275 if you like. Wider tires mean better grip while being slightly taller as well equates to a better ride and smaller wheel well gap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.