Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there have been other threads on this subject and I've read them but there are a couple of aspects to vandalism that weren't really discussed.

1. It seems that keying may be the most common form of vandalism. My understanding is that when a car is keyed the remedy is usually to repaint the affected area. When this is done, will it be listed on a Carfax report? Would this detract from the car's resale value?

2. I believe that this sort of damage could be covered under a typical insurance policy that includes "comprehensive coverage". The owner's loss would then be limited to the policy deductible and a rental car. Does anyone know if vandalism claims were made somewhat frequently, if the insurance company would cancel the insurance or increase rates?

The reason that I'm asking these questions is that I plan to purchase a cayman and use it as a daily driver and drive it to all the places that I would drive an "ordinary car". Most driving would be done in a surburban New Jersey setting during daylight hours. I'm hoping that this is feasible as long as I'm willing to accept periodic acts of vandalism and paying for insurance with a low deductible as the price of enjoying the car every day and not having to bear the expense of another car or park one outside. Any comments, suggestions or thoughts, particularly from others who may be using their caymans in this way are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I checked on this once as I had a small incident from vandalism and was curious on the insurance side. I found that I could get it covered without an increase but my agent told me that the next time my rates would go up. After a brief discussion we decided to let the claim go and use the insurance should I have a large claim. We used a 3 year rate increase scenario vs. my paying a $500 deductible and my insurance paying out about $1000. Results for this scenario are probably all over the map. As a final thought my 09 CS is relatively cheap to insure due to age, location etc.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I drive my Cayman everywhere, including places like Walmart, Home Depot, etc. and I'm actually surprised that it has never been dinged or keyed in the 2 1/2 years I've had it (*knocking on wood*).

When I had a WRX, it was keyed twice and suffered a big door ding once in parking lots, so who knows? Because I carry a large deductible, I had those fixed on my dime, rather than file a claim. Whether a vandalism claim would affect your premiums or coverage probably depends a lot on your insurance company, history of claims, etc. I doubt that a single vandalism claim would affect your rates in most cases, unless it was pretty extreme.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If it is an isolated case of vandalism then insurance will cover but keep in mind most policies have exceptions for riots so if your car gets turned over and set on fire after the superbowl or world series you may not be covered.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not really vandalism issue but a re paint issue. I had a 911 C4 and was hit in the rear. Caused a repaint of the right rear fender and a new deck lid and repaint. I had a hard time when it came to sell the car. Everyone asked about the repaint and they could tell by feeling in the wheel well arch. This devalued the car about $5000. Not sure this is a issue with a Cayman but would think it would be. When this happened like in 1995 I did know there was a provision in your insurance on de-value. I know it exists now if it is caused by a third party. My wife car had water in the car but not enought to total the car. This for sure is reported and is a major devalue issue. But not get anything other than the cost to repair it as there was not a third party insurance involved.

·
Northeast Caymans
478 Posts
If you plan on using the car every day to go everywhere you'll make yourself crazy worrying about it.

The reason that I'm asking these questions is that I plan to purchase a cayman and use it as a daily driver and drive it to all the places that I would drive an "ordinary car"

·
Registered
674 Posts
The reason that I'm asking these questions is that I plan to purchase a cayman...
Futurecayman, so when are you actually getting your car? :cheers:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Futurecayman, so when are you actually getting your car?

That's a good question. Right now I'm driving a 1995 saturn sc-2 sportcoupe with 221,000 miles on it. It still runs and looks good but with that many miles on it I'm not sure how much longer it will continue to do so and therefore I want to be prepared. I really don't like any of the contemporary cars out there with the exception of the cayman. Since 1995 cars seem to have gotten larger, heavier, less attractive and definitely less fun to drive. The saturn has practically the same dimensions as the cayman and weighs only 2,340 lbs. My current plan is to look for a nice CPO base cayman this year if I can find one in the right color combination. If I don't come across one, I plan to order a new base cayman around January of next year. This of course assumes that the wheels don't fall off the saturn before then in which case the cayman purchase will be accelerated.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you plan on using the car every day to go everywhere you'll make yourself crazy worrying about it.

AMen to that. Porsches are made to be driven. I find even a trip to the store can be fun. Sometime I drive to the same store in another nearby town just to enjoy the ride. Don't worry about the car, enjoy it, drive it. Ed

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

AMen to that. Porsches are made to be driven. I find even a trip to the store can be fun. Sometime I drive to the same store in another nearby town just to enjoy the ride. Don't worry about the car, enjoy it, drive it. Ed

It really would be nice to be able to drive the cayman anywhere that you would be willing to drive another nice car and not worry about it. It seems that many people are extremely careful when they get a new car (non cayman) but once it gets a ding or a scratch they stop worrying so muich about it. Are there any cayman owners out there with this attitude? It might be worth it to accept the fact that the car could be driven alot more frequently with the same degree of mechanical gratification if one could only be willing to accept the occasional ding, scratch, etc and not feel the immediate need to get it repaired. Is a cayman really that much less fun to drive if it has a couple of dings on it? Has anyone made it over the psychological / emotional hurdle of being willing to accept some cosmetic damage in exchange for more frequent cayman driving experiences? Just curious how people view this choice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my Cayman to drive, knowing that hazards do exist out on the roads, amd willing to live with MINOR dings. I do try to take safer spaces in big parking lots, and would be ROYALLY PO'd if the car was vandalized. And with 32K mi. in 18 mo. of ownership, the Forest Green is right now pretty salty, with snow again tonight, and I'm driving to AK on Friday. Any trip in the Croc is a fun time!:dance:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know what you mean. its the first dent that you try to avoid. Funny, chunks of race rubber marking up my hood on the track doesn't bother me a bit... Its the careless idiot letting their grocery cart roll into your car that I can't tolerate.

I'll accept my share of track abuse, but I still spend a good bit of energy to find a strategic parking space.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Normal little road and track marks I can live with. I got a 15 inch deep scratch in the center of the left fender, and onto the driver's door, through to the metal.
It was simply too obvious and painful to live with, so its being fixed now - $750.
It happened in the Porsche corral at the Rolex 24 hour in Daytona a couple of weekends ago. Vandalism or someone's mistake??? Who knows...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Damn, you would think the Porsche Corral would be a safe place to park!

Normal little road and track marks I can live with. I got a 15 inch deep scratch in the center of the left fender, and onto the driver's door, through to the metal.
It was simply too obvious and painful to live with, so its being fixed now - $750.
It happened in the Porsche corral at the Rolex 24 hour in Daytona a couple of weekends ago. Vandalism or someone's mistake??? Who knows...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I checked on this once as I had a small incident from vandalism and was curious on the insurance side. I found that I could get it covered without an increase but my agent told me that the next time my rates would go up. After a brief discussion we decided to let the claim go and use the insurance should I have a large claim. We used a 3 year rate increase scenario vs. my paying a $500 deductible and my insurance paying out about $1000. Results for this scenario are probably all over the map. As a final thought my 09 CS is relatively cheap to insure due to age, location etc.

Thanks for the information. I was wondering what insurance company you were dealing with. I have NJ Manufacturers Insurance Company. Possibly different companies have different policies regarding whether they boost premiums for vandalism claims. Unlike tickets and accidents, the policyholder did not really do much to contribute to the claimed loss other than legally parking the car. Maybe that makes a difference in the way some companies view the claim(s). Does anyone know? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts