Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Cayman has approx 4K miles. Discovered early on that it has electric brakes (didn't come up during pre-purchase drives). Starting with purchase currently have a problem with the electric/ebrakes in two areas:

1). On a hill when stopped, in neutral, then 1st gear is selected & "Hill Hold" light comes on: when engaging clutch, Hill Hold electric brake will not release, under any circumstances!! Page 161 (Users Manual - attached) says it should. Sunset Porsche (Portland, OR) technician did his test(s), and found no deficiency, and I was sent away. Problem not resolved.

2) On flat surface, when engaging clutch (no hill hold light on here), emergency brake does not let you proceed. According to Page 130 (Users Manual - attached), it says the system "senses" you want to proceed, but it won't. Just holds you there.

In the meantime, after Sunset Porsche visit, I have done the following:

- posted tech question on PCA website; question has never been posted, even after several phone calls to main office & emails to Scott Slauson (tech expert here) never a response (!!), and eventually email and phone conversation with Mr. Nugyen, Exec Director - gave me recommendation to return to dealer
- Cascade club tech section - 1st not enough experience with the brake as most new Porsche owners of PDK (go figure). So answer is pending today from one of their tech sessions at local repair shops.

Suggestions, experiences, & comments are more than welcome.

Thanks, d. baker

Attachments

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Who was your salesman? If it was Nick Rosetto, call him. He's a good guy and may well try to help. If it was anyone else I'm afraid I've heard bad stories.

To my knowledge, no one has reported such problems with PDK cars, not that that does you any good.

If all else fails and PGA also won't help you and you literally need to spend money on a car under warranty, consider Heckmann Thiemann on SE Powell Blvd. I've had limited but good experiences with them and encouragingly their P-car mechanic, Herr Andy, even speaks with a heavy German accent:). Good luck, and sorry to hear about your misfortune.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Was your seat belt on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I do. On my 1st visit to Sunset, Nick was 1st to appear, but on because he was usually busy with other folks, he sent me in Christian's direction. So I know Nick and he knows me pretty well. Thanks. I believe that Sunset will eventually fix this, but the tech is not proficient in this area, and Rachel does not return voice mail calls left on Service general mail box.

One of the Planet 9 comments I read elsewhere, today, having the pretty much the same problem as me, indicated that a the Brake Module needed replacing. So what would any test tell a technician? - as we are sitting, in the waiting room pretty much oblivious to the tech work going on. I have not talked with Nick on this,, yet. No offense, but my dealings with Christian, leave everything lacking. He is not very proactive - my observation. Also, having been in the waiting on a couple of occasions, both Nick and Christian have said hello in passing, but never have they asked why I am sitting there nor "how are things going with car.." Interesting!

The plan is go back to Portland (5 hour drive) in August for the Cascade Cycling Club event, leave the car & have them fix this, and do the bumper damage body work caused by deer impact on my last trip there. Poetic justice.

Thanks very much. D. Baker

·
Registered
51 Posts
Gregg is a good guy too, but I don't know if he can help much on a service issue.

I know that Gregg understands how the e-brake is supposed to work, because he explained it to me. Mine works exactly the way you (and the manual) say it should work, so it sounds like something is definitely wrong with your car.

I'm sorry to hear that the service department is lacking, since I'm stuck with them for a few years...

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
1). On a hill when stopped, in neutral, then 1st gear is selected & "Hill Hold" light comes on: when engaging clutch, Hill Hold electric brake will not release, under any circumstances!! Page 161 (Users Manual - attached) says it should. Sunset Porsche (Portland, OR) technician did his test(s), and found no deficiency, and I was sent away. Problem not resolved.
If you were on a hill, put in the clutch, foot on brake, in 1st gear, e brake takes hold.

If the brake will never release, then are you still on the hill? How did you move away since it never releases?

I suggest going on a test drive with the mechanic and show him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the response:

- as my 1st/original message indicated, I have been to Sunset Porsche (Portland) to have this very question answered. The technician & I went for a test drive on a medium steep hill & with the problem exhibiting itself, he agreed & we went back to the shop to get things done!!. After several hours, we went back out for another test, and with the tech driving, on a substantially less steep part of a road, he was able to get going to work (but I do not know if he did something extra: if he did, he did not tell me); He did tell that he conducted some sort of test which revealed no abnormalities (what test?) Without knowing the Users Manual procedures on both Page 131 & 160 last year during the visit, I did not counter the tech, and left, thinking he solved the problem. Which he didn't

- How do I move away: contrary to what the Users Manual says on Page 160, to get it out of hill hold, you can 1) turn off the engine (appears to reset the the Hill Hold function); 2) putting it in reverse seemed to have worked on either 1 or 2 occasions, but now doesn't; 3) another is to "pop" the clutch, and literally pull the rotor away from the brake pad's "grip" (sort of a violent way to take it out of Hill Hold); and 4th), letting the car roll back a bit will release the "grip". Obviously, of someone is behind you in close proximity, this is not a good maneuver, and there is nothing in Users Manual that says this a necessary procedure!!

- A revisit: Of course, but the reason I am going through this question, answer & research project, is that it is possible that Sunset Service has never been presented with this problem before (& they would not necessarily tell me), and do not know how to solve it. They do have the option of reaching out to a regional rep to assist them; but I do not want to drive 5 1/2 hours to Portland, only to be told - either I am nuts, or we can't fix it. I certainly plan to prepare with the User Manual narrative procedures, as well as assistance with my sales rep and, if necessary, the manager of the dealership.

Again thank you.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I have seen reports of drivers using hill hold with manuals not understanding what was going on and having trouble getting used to the concept that the car holds itself and then stalling it (which is difficult to do because of the auto restart). Sorry, don't know what is going on here.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You will have to adapt to the suckyness of all electronic E-brakes. Someone should make a conversion kit to manual.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but my CGTS MT has about 5K miles and has recently developed this annoying problem, i.e. hill hold will not release and stalls the engine. A restart resets it. It's not only frustrating, but I'm concerned that this could lead to being rear-ended in traffic.

And no, I'm not a novice. Been driving stick for over 40 years and some of those years were in my 987 that had this stupid unnecessary feature and it was never this obtrusive. IMO, there's something wrong with the e-brake control.

Has anyone resolved this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Artrem:

No, the issue is not solved. "Hopefully" when I take the Cayman to Portland, OR Porsche in several months for oil change (should do myself), any other 10K maint, and a repair to the front bumper as a result of a deer hit, I will indicate to Sunset Porsche, who did not fix it last year, that the ebrake must either be fixed, disconnected, or I am not taking the car back until it is. Could result in hiring an attorney - extreme case, and highly unlikely. My understanding is that service dept's do not have the requisite experience and/or guidance concerning this issue. Each Svc dept, however, can reach out to what is known as a regional Porsche service adviser. Porsche USA and PCA of America have been pretty much ineffective, however, the PCA executive director, has reached out to talk about it.

Wish you luck on your case. I have noticed that after washing the car, rotors will ordinarily develop a light coating of rust. When driving off to dry the car, a high pitched whine came from the left rear brake. That tells me, perhaps, that the rotor and the pad are too close, and requires an adjustment. After a while, the whine disappeared. The pad adjustment could solve the issue, but who knows.

Thank you for the reply to the thread. No need to express apology in "resurrecting an old thread".... it is very much alive & well!!! And will continue to be so until Porsche attends to the issue.

D. Baker

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but my CGTS MT has about 5K miles and has recently developed this annoying problem, i.e. hill hold will not release and stalls the engine. A restart resets it. It's not only frustrating, but I'm concerned that this could lead to being rear-ended in traffic.

And no, I'm not a novice. Been driving stick for over 40 years and some of those years were in my 987 that had this stupid unnecessary feature and it was never this obtrusive. IMO, there's something wrong with the e-brake control.

Has anyone resolved this?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
FYI, FWIW, on my 2014 Cayman S without SC, if I use the electric parking brake on the level, all I have to do is close the door, put on my seat belt and let out the clutch in 1st or Rev. There is no noticeable drag by the emergency brake as it gets started. If i don't have my seatbelt fastened, it will suggest on the display that I can release the emergency brake by stepping on the brakes as I use the hand switch to release the e-brake.

In hill hold mode where I'm on enough of a grade for it to sense, I do have to give more throttle and confidently let the clutch up quickly to get it to "break loose". Totally different feel from getting going with hill hold on my 09 Cayenne GTS with Tip, where i just give it extra throttle. On both cars, u can actually hear the brakes break loose from hill hold when starting up. The manual transmission requires more thought and effort to get it going. Hill Hold requires a fair amount of grunt to get going, on my Cayman S. Less throttle and feathering the clutch will not get it going. It'll just heat up the clutch and leave u sitting there. Think of it as a hard fast start with ur manual transmission and u'll be on you way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PCA1983:

Essentially what you are saying is that despite what the Users Manual points out that when the dashboard green light says "Hill Hold,", the system is supposed to "sense" you want to go forward and releases. What I have experienced and what you have indicated in your last sentence, is that the system does not sense you want to go, and holds you in place. To get out of this situation, you have "jerk it" or "punch it" the clutch out of its hold mode. To do this is to get RPM's beyond 2K let the clutch out immediately. When you do this, you smell a burning clutch. This is a design flaw and Porsche does not appear to have a solution for its US service departments, other than for the owner to wear out the clutch and pay for a new one.

Based on the fact that all Porsche models, as I am told by Portland Porsche, have electric emergency brakes. I am now out of the market on this one...........

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In my case, when sitting level, the e-brake disengages as expected, and up until recently, the hold feature worked, well, okay on hills as well. What got me thinking that this may be a malfunction is that it is only recently that it seems to have lost the ability to sense when the car is put in motion on a steep incline. My guess is that it's either a control unit malfunction or just the fact that the new brakes/rotors have worn-in and are gripping more efficiently. I may contact the dealer on this, but I suspect that it's going to be one of those "it is what it is" situations.

I've tried feathering the clutch, high RPM starts, etc. and i have yet to successfully master whatever nuances are necessary to get the car moving normally.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I've had my car 3 years now. The ebrake works as it's supposed to and I drive my car like a "normal" car. The hill hold should be transparent and it is (on my car). If you have to do anything to "brake loose" your car has a problem.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would not say it is perfectly transparent. For smooth starts on a hill I find that two things matter. Did hill hold engage? And am I in sport mode?

Even for the auto brake release pulling out of the driveway, it takes a half second for the brakes to release and if you are taking off quickly it can be a little jarring. Sometimes I put the car in gear, come up with the clutch slightly and re-depress as the brakes release, then come back up with the clutch.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
PCA1983:

Based on the fact that all Porsche models, as I am told by Portland Porsche, have electric emergency brakes. I am now out of the market on this one...........

Thanks for the reply.
Then you are going to put yourself "out of the market" for almost any new car. Almost all new cars are moving away from the old hand/foot brake and going to E-brakes. If they aren't there now they will be soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts