Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting close to purchasing a set of track wheels and will be doing monthly tire/wheel changes for autocross events. I have a 1/2" torque wrench, but I would like to use an impact wrench to remove and partially re-tighten the lug bolts. Which would be better for my use, an electric wrench or an air wrench? I currently own a compressor that is capable of operating an air wrench. I realize that the air wrench is much more powerful, but in this case, that might be a detriment. I certainly do not want to accidentally over-tighten the lug bolts.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
It doesn't make a difference how they are powered. You should always come back and use a manual 2nd check and set it correctly.

Your air compressor can be set to output a specific pressure; read the manual on how-to.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,767 Posts
I bought a NiCad impact wrench from Sears for around $100 and am very pleased with it. The electric version comes in handy if you do any DEs away from home.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought an electric one from harbor freight for $37. Works great

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I saw that one in one of their catalogs. Is there anyway to control (set) the max torque?

What type of sockets do you use with that one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a Ridgid 1/2" electric impact from Home Depot that works fine. But I only use it to remove the bolts. If you want to use it to install them I think you need to get the correct torque sticks.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got a small impact wrench at Home Depot to use with my torque wrench. The smaller impact wrench isn't strong enough to pull off tightened bolts so I loosen them by hand and us the impact wrench to remove and reinstall the bolts and finish them by hand again. On the plus side the wrench is very portable. No real complaints, but the next wrench will be stronger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have the same one from Harbor Freight, using their coupon as well, and it works great. Fast wheel removal and install.I always double check using a Torque wrench when done, but no issues. For a battery operated version, the DeWalt model is a good choice and handy at the track.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Impact wrenches if used often will dammage the bolt head. It's best to break louse and torque by hand.
use the impact to spin off and on. Carl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts