Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, the storage facility we use does not allow access to electrical outlets. Anyone have any clever ideas on how to use a battery maintainer in this situation? I thought about buying another battery, connecting it to an inverter, and plugging the maintainer into the inverter.

How about it electrical wizards, how long will this maintain the car battery? Is it worth the hassle and the expense? How often will I have to take the new battery home and charge it?

The car (987.1) sits in storage for 2 to 6 weeks at a time between uses.

·
Registered
339 Posts
How concerned are you about the accumulated data being spot on for say a muffler test in the spring? If the answer is no concern, just pull the negative cable and leave the frunk on one click. There's no way that goes dead in six weeks in a scenario like that. My HS car sat in a barn for the entire winter 4-6 months, cable back on and bang away we go.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I agonized over this exact situation a few years ago and went down the same thought path as you. Temps would be regularly down much below freezing (-10 to -20°c).

I ended up just going to check on the car about once per month, picking the mildest day to do so and then starting the car and letting it warm up and charge the battery for 15m or so.

People here will freak out about the horrors of letting your car idle etc but it’s overblown. I have my oil tested at every change by a lab and there is no difference. My car still does not consume any oil and there was never any indication of wear items or fuel in the oil.

For reference my battery was 3 years old when I did this. If I had to do this again and my battery was 5-6 years old or older I would replace it with a new battery first. I never had a problem starting the car.

Edit: This was with a 981. YMMV.

Edit2: Alternatively remove the battery from the car and take it with you. Leave the frunk popped. The car will be fine. It’s a car, not a life support system.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is there an option to rig up a solar trickle charger from the outside? I've done that in the past when no outlet was available.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just disconnect the battery. I leave a cutoff hockey stick in the frunk latch so that nobody can shut it accidentally. My car routinely sits like this from 11/1 to 4/15 and I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
339 Posts
OOfa, Don't like that stick idea. Think about it if someone does try to shut it you're going to get a permanent reminder. I'd rather face the infamous frunk break-in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Screw a male light socket with a pull chain and an AC outlet as part of the socket into the bulb socket. Plug your C-Tech in there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Boristhespyder. The car is on a lift in my own garage under a car cover. I'll take my chances (with myself). I understand the concern if it were someplace else.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Stuff happens. While I'm totally capable of taking off a wheel and a wheel liner and pulling the rip cord, I would prefer to not have to deal with it. I feel very comfortable with my solution and it has worked for years. My "stick" is only 6 inches long and simply prevents the frunk latch from being pushed down all the way into the locked position. In Porsche fashion, I only use carbon fiber hockey sticks :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
As the title says, the storage facility we use does not allow access to electrical outlets. Anyone have any clever ideas on how to use a battery maintainer in this situation? I thought about buying another battery, connecting it to an inverter, and plugging the maintainer into the inverter.

How about it electrical wizards, how long will this maintain the car battery? Is it worth the hassle and the expense? How often will I have to take the new battery home and charge it?

If there is an incandescent bulb in the storage facility, you can get a socket adapter with two outlets on the side that screws into the existing light socket but allows cords to be plugged into it as well. See Home Depot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my storage unit, no outlet but it did have a light overhead. Just unscrew the bulb and screw in an electrical plug that they sell for a few bucks at any Home Depot. Plug your maintainer into it and you are good to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem with my storage unit, no outlet but it did have a light overhead. Just unscrew the bulb and screw in an electrical plug that they sell for a few bucks at any Home Depot. Plug your maintainer into it and you are good to go.
just pray this doesn’t cause a fire and burn down the whole storage complex. because you will be on the hook for EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The idea of a light-adaptor sounds just fine - but being profit-driven ventures almost every storage facility I've ever seen has the overhead lights on a timer. And when the timer shuts the light off - the charger will go off with it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why don't you just get a decent jump box and put a trickle charger on it. It may last a month or more on charge and keep the trickle charger powered.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

SOORY FOR THE LACK OF REPLY, AND THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR INPUT. THE STORAGE FACILITY HAS MADE SURE YOU CANNOT PLUG IN, THERE IS WIRE FENCING MATERIAL IN THE OVERHEAD BETWEEN THE UNIT AND THE LIGHTING. I suppose it is for fire reasons. For example, a year or so ago a nearby house fire at a car collector's house was blamed on a battery maintainer. It took out 4 or 5 cars and did major damage to the house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts