Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was cleaning the leather, had the car turned off and unlocked (obviously), but had forgot to set the parking brake. After a couple of minutes I heard the motor whirring and the brake had applied itself.

The reason I'm posting this here rather than in the complaints section is that I don't have a problem or complaint with it doing so, but it isn't something you want to happen after several hot laps of a track!

Has anyone else experienced this at a DE and what did you do to avoid melting your brake pads onto your rear discs!

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Is it normal operation for the parking brake to auto-engage like that?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Last night I was cleaning the leather, had the car turned off and unlocked (obviously), but had forgot to set the parking brake. After a couple of minutes I heard the motor whirring and the brake had applied itself.

The reason I'm posting this here rather than in the complaints section is that I don't have a problem or complaint with it doing so, but it isn't something you want to happen after several hot laps of a track!

Has anyone else experienced this at a DE and what did you do to avoid melting your brake pads onto your rear discs!
Are you sure there is no chance that you bumped it or leaned on it while cleaning? Mine has never auto-engaged under any circumstance.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Are you sure there is no chance that you bumped it or leaned on it while cleaning? Mine has never auto-engaged under any circumstance.
That's what I thought. This shouldn't be normal operation under any circumstance. As such I'm moving this thread over the Problems & Complaints.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Was the car flat and level, or on an incline when the brake self-engaged?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was cleaning the door, so didn't bump it and it was in my garage, so fairly level.

It seemed to be related to the time that it was left sitting there turned off. I'll have a go at recreating it later.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I couldn't make it happen again, so maybe I'm imagining it!

I sort of suspected this functionality may exist so that if you walk off and forget to put the parking brake on then it will auto-apply after awhile, but I couldn't get it to do it just now.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts

I sort of suspected this functionality may exist so that if you walk off and forget to put the parking brake on then it will auto-apply after awhile, but I couldn't get it to do it just now.
I never use the parking brake in my garage or anywhere were it is flat and it has not auto-engaged.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

I assume its a manual? with no PDK in park maybe its a safety feature on a manual.

Maybe if you bump or push the car in the same circumstances again it will come on?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I found one instance in the online manual describing how the electronic parking brake can be automatically activated:

"If the driver’s safety-belt is unfastened and the driver’s door is opened while the HOLD function is active, the electric parking brake is activated automatically."

Is there any chance this is what happened to you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts