Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm watching the race at Watkins Glen and in the Continental Tire series ST class a Honda Civic just passed a Cayman. What the heck??? The 04 car driven by R Ruscitti, anyone know anything about this car/driver/team?

Sent from my Galaxy Prime Windows Mobile 8.5 Phone via TapaTalk

·
Registered
619 Posts
I also watched this race and share your pain.

The#4 Cayman was driven by the Autometrics Team and was close to 1st in the ST class when they ran out of gas near the end giving the win to the Civic - which also almost ran out of gas. Stopping for gas would have put the Cayman down half a lap or more with no chance to win, so the only hope was to keep going and hope for the best.

The Team Sahlen #42 Cayman finished 2nd in the ST class. The unofficial results showed them in 3rd, but the official results moved them to 2nd.

This series has the Grand Sport (GS) class and Street Tuner (ST) class and these cars should be close to the street versions. The Cayman's power rating is too low for the GS class but the Cayman should also be faster than most of the cars in ST class. However, IMSA applies Balance of Power (BAP) rules that are used to equalize performance in the class. They do this by either restricting air intake or adding weight ballast or both. Therefore, the Cayman may actually be a bit crippled to run with the Civics and MX-5s, etc.

On the one hand, IMSA may be one of the most important venues to race sports cars in which Cayman's can compete. OTOH, seeing Honda Civics beat Porsches in sanctioned races can't be the best PR for Porsche.

As I type this, the next race in the series at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park is running. Since I will wait until it's broadcast or shows up on the IMSA site for video replay, I don't want any spoilers so I will not be back to this thread until I can watch the races.

Thanks,

·
Registered
63 Posts
The guy in the Compass 360 Civic that passed him and eventually won is a really good driver, Ryan Eversley.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
The guy in the Compass 360 Civic that passed him and eventually won is a really good driver, Ryan Eversley.
Ryan is a very good driver and a great guy who has also had a lot of experience with the Cayman as well. Should be a good race for the Cayman at Indy today though. Kansas seemed to do the Porsche well, so Indy should be similar. We are usually at the track assisting the Team Sahlen team with their Cayman's but the GT3 Cup Challenge does not race at Indy. Hoping they can pull through with the Cayman.

·
Registered
619 Posts
FYI - the street tuner class is limited to 240HP max. Weight and engine are flow restrictions are used to level the field within each class.
Thanks. So these are basically detuned base Caymans (not Ss) - so maybe not so embarrassing after all.

Do you know the HP limit for GS? I guess a Cayman S would be too much for the ST class but not sufficient for the GS class unless outfitted with a 3.8L engine or something.

I also got the impression that particular makes / models must be approved for each class as the Fox announcers mentioned (earlier in the season during a race), that the Cayman had just been approved for ST.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts