Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having decided to keep my CS for a long while more, I embarked on a "botox" campaign since late last year. Started with changing to the 718 style tail lights which really gave a more modern look, added some stripes, CF ducktail and then now, with the lock down, I decided to change the "Cayman S" emblem to the modern looking "PORSCHE" emblem... again, not to have more Porsche on the car although I'd never get sick of that, but to give a more modern look.

Googled the removal process and also sought the experience of fellow "PORSCHE emblem on a Cayman" member Oachs83 and started yesterday evening to remove the older and older looking Cayman S emblem. I live in a 30 plus celsius country and the car was deliberately left under the sun the entire afternoon. This worked as I did not have to use a heat gun and proceeded with come dental floss. I'd recommend wrapping your fingers etc with a cloth or something as the floss tends to cut in after a while as you can imagine.

This is is what it looked like immediately after the Cayman emblem came off.

I then used Goo Gone to start to remove the gunk and to work on the ghosting. This is the first pass where the ghosting is still very apparent.

Second pass... better but still there.

Last pass and I was like... it is what it is... Each time after Goo Gone, just use water with car shampoo to clean and then rinse off. After the last pass, I used Chemical Wax matte detailer for the stripes and Maguiars Ultimate Quick wax for the paint in between the stripes. There's still minor ghosting left so I hope with the PORSCHE emblem, it will draw the eye there and my hot tropical sun will do its thing with the sun tan effect on the rest of the ghosting over time to give the "tan" and even it out.

For the PORSCHE emblem application, I used an old sewing measuring tape which is great for marking, painting masking tape as its less adhesive and lots of patience.

Did a dry run first...

And then went full tilt

I really like how its come out and definitely worth the time and effort. Its added very nicely to the "modern" face lift IMO. If ever a directional 718 style headlight came out for the 987.2, I'll do that as well but only if directional as that is a great function.

So, the before :

and after :

Thanks again to Oachs83 for the nudge.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Nice job, it came out great! I would have been worried about the Goo Gone on the stripes but it looks like no problem.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job, it came out great! I would have been worried about the Goo Gone on the stripes but it looks like no problem.
Thanks.

Yeah I was too. I tried the goo gone on the stripes in the fender well first to check for negative fading effects etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for sharing this, I was wondering how to deal with my "Cayman S" emblem, that I want to preserve. I will follow your steps, with heat and dental floss, I just need to figure out how to restore it (paint bubbling in one spot) and how to glue it back. Or maybe buy a new one? Hm....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for sharing this, I was wondering how to deal with my "Cayman S" emblem, that I want to preserve. I will follow your steps, with heat and dental floss, I just need to figure out how to restore it (paint bubbling in one spot) and how to glue it back. Or maybe buy a new one? Hm....
Just get high heat 3M double sided tape for the old emblem. Its just a bit of a pain to trim the tape down to the size required.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the best and have fun.

BTW, my S is positioned exactly 2 15/16 inch from the end of the trunk. My Cayman S emblem was closer to 2 inches.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It might be the way the camera was angled but I wouldn’t be able to sleep with the o being right on the red and the h being just a bit off of it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts