Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
55 Posts
Looks good. The Cayman S script was already gone when I acquired my car, but the PO had red vinyl P O R S C H E lettering applied to the rear bumper/valance as well as across the top of the windshield.

P1060299.JPG

P1060300.JPG

Also has black side stripes. Too much clutter for my liking.

Contemplating if I should remove the red lettering (?) If folks don't know it's a Porsche, that's fine with me. I don't have any Porsche lettering on my 914, so if someone asks what kind of car it is, I just say "Volkswagen" - lol

Howie_10_07.JPG

My Westfaila ('Eileen') is a whole different story ;)

Westy w Porsche 356 Emblem-2.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks great! I too was nervous at first but once you apply that last letter and take a step back you wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe I'm the only one but I like that Cayman both ways. What I know from experience is waxing around either iteration is a chore.:geek: I keep some Q tips in the detailing cabinet for such applications.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Maybe I'm the only one but I like that Cayman both ways. What I know from experience is waxing around either iteration is a chore.:geek: I keep some Q tips in the detailing cabinet for such applications.
Never mind waxing.. washing as well. Same issue with the new emblem.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just an update on the ghosting. True enough.. the sun and the elements have done their part. No more ghost effect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having decided to keep my CS for a long while more, I embarked on a "botox" campaign since late last year. Started with changing to the 718 style tail lights which really gave a more modern look, added some stripes, CF ducktail and then now, with the lock down, I decided to change the "Cayman S" emblem to the modern looking "PORSCHE" emblem... again, not to have more Porsche on the car although I'd never get sick of that, but to give a more modern look.

Googled the removal process and also sought the experience of fellow "PORSCHE emblem on a Cayman" member Oachs83 and started yesterday evening to remove the older and older looking Cayman S emblem. I live in a 30 plus celsius country and the car was deliberately left under the sun the entire afternoon. This worked as I did not have to use a heat gun and proceeded with come dental floss. I'd recommend wrapping your fingers etc with a cloth or something as the floss tends to cut in after a while as you can imagine.

This is is what it looked like immediately after the Cayman emblem came off.

View attachment 268794

View attachment 268806

I then used Goo Gone to start to remove the gunk and to work on the ghosting. This is the first pass where the ghosting is still very apparent.

View attachment 268796

Second pass... better but still there.

View attachment 268797

Last pass and I was like... it is what it is... Each time after Goo Gone, just use water with car shampoo to clean and then rinse off. After the last pass, I used Chemical Wax matte detailer for the stripes and Maguiars Ultimate Quick wax for the paint in between the stripes. There's still minor ghosting left so I hope with the PORSCHE emblem, it will draw the eye there and my hot tropical sun will do its thing with the sun tan effect on the rest of the ghosting over time to give the "tan" and even it out.

View attachment 268798

For the PORSCHE emblem application, I used an old sewing measuring tape which is great for marking, painting masking tape as its less adhesive and lots of patience.

View attachment 268799

Did a dry run first...

View attachment 268800

And then went full tilt

View attachment 268803

I really like how its come out and definitely worth the time and effort. Its added very nicely to the "modern" face lift IMO. If ever a directional 718 style headlight came out for the 987.2, I'll do that as well but only if directional as that is a great function.

So, the before :

View attachment 268804

and after :

View attachment 268805

Thanks again to Oachs83 for the nudge.
Looks great! The ghosting effect is not too noticeable.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
So what do you guys reckon based on the mock fit?

Will need to plasti dip the cayman S in Matt black to match the Matt Porsche emblem if I go ahead with this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would like to inquire, where did you get the emblem ? Was their a particular year/make/model that you got the "PORSCHE" emblem ?

Thank-you,
Tom

21 - 39 of 39 Posts