Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received an email from Durametric, and I am told that their cable/software can not tell you if your car has run through enough driving cycles to pass state inspection testing. I had codes cleared and the battery replaced, so I can't get the car inspected until it is driven enough to reach ready state.

There are a lot of things that can't be done on the 981 with Durametric compared to other models, and it seems they don't intend to fix that.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive tool that will do this for a 981?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Almost any OBDII reader can determine that. If I remember correctly, you only need 2 out of 3, but even those can take like 100 miles to set in. You can probably go to any Autozone, and they'd do it for free, for what I've read. Or if you already used the car more than 100 miles, then it should pass, if nothing else is wrong. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The OBDII feeds the ‘Check Engine” light.
It’s my understanding as long as the light is not lit, you will PASS.
Wisconsin used to spend $$$$$ having you drive into an Emission Testing Station and actually run your car while testing tail pipe emissions.
When I ponted out to the State that all they had to do is monitor the OBD, the Emission Testing Cemters were closed.
Now any place can check your OBD but it shoud be sufficient for your to just to sign your renewal verifying you do not have a ‘Check Engine’ Light lit.-Richard

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The OBDII feeds the ‘Check Engine” light.
It’s my understanding as long as the light is not lit, you will PASS.
Wisconsin used to spend $$$$$ having you drive into an Emission Testing Station and actually run your car while testing tail pipe emissions.
When I ponted out to the State that all they had to do is monitor the OBD, the Emission Testing Cemters were closed.
Now any place can check your OBD but it shoud be sufficient for your to just to sign your renewal verifying you do not have a ‘Check Engine’ Light lit.-Richard
Codes or not, the car will not pass inspection until it reaches the ready state. This requires considerable distance driving under various conditions, with the specifics unknown, after a code reset. Our inspection entails OBD plug in, where they check for tripped codes and ready state. If no codes and ready state is achieved, you pass.

I went to the inspection station last week. It was confirmed to me that if the car was not in the ready state, I would receive a failed sticker, leaving me 30 days to get it right. Good news was that I was also informed that the dealer had applied the wrong inspection due date sticker, so now I am extended until May. I am confident the car will reach ready state by then, so no further worries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.