Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to blind anyone...just curious if it is possible to have the daytime running lights on with highbeams? This is on 2nd gen 09.

I do alot of driving on dark 2 lane backroads....deer are everywhere.

:crazy:My eyes are not as good as they used to be.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Not trying to blind anyone...just curious if it is possible to have the daytime running lights on with highbeams? This is on 2nd gen 09.

I do alot of driving on dark 2 lane backroads....deer are everywhere.

:crazy:My eyes are not as good as they used to be.
Not sure of what advantage that might be. What's your reasoning?:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2nd gen has no fog lights. The lights that are there only come on as daytime running lights. They look like fog lights.

When the regular lights are turned on....the Daytime lights turn off.

I would like the option of running all the lights at once.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Though DRLs may provide quite a bit of luminescence while the car is inside your garage, try going out at night with just the DRLs, it is much dimmer than fog lights, that you might not even notice its on, especially the LED ones. It’s designed so “you can be seen” as oppose to so “you can see”. Having DRLs on for night driving isn’t going to help, especially with high beams on. Even fog lights are turned off when high beams are on because they don’t help improve your depth of field and just consumes electricity.

You’re much better off changing the bulbs on your high beam, and perhaps even your regular beam, to brighter more powerful bulbs, as oppose to having DRLs always on.

I have similar situation with deers and animals on the twisty roads where I live, and that’s why the xenons with dynamic cornering is a blessing. Not sure if you already have xenons on your gen.2, but even if you do, there are plenty of aftermarket xenon bulbs that are brighter than stock.

If you still desire the DRLs to always be on, for aesthetical reasons, there’s a way to alter the software setting on the ECU. It may even be possible to do it via Durametric interface. I would ask your Dealer’s service department first if they can turn it always on for you, before asking Durametric.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Vrecaro. I understand the DRLs are to be seen but figured if I could get power to them with the regular lights then half of the problem would be solved;). I have owned a few Touaregs through the years and with vag-com you could make those changes.

I may have a guy with the proper tools to change things up on the 09.
The biXennon with dyn cornr works great as is, but there is always room to improve.

The smartest thing would be to leave the lights alone....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts