Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 CS, 22Kmi, manual shift, HR springs, stock 19" wheels. I purchased the car used and don’t have a ton of experience driving it so I don’t know if it is just me but if i am going 45mph in fourth gear and stab the gas, the front end will lunge to the left then come back to strait. Same thing if I let off the gas, it will lunge to the right. I just used 45mph and 4th as an example. It will happen in any gear and really "upsets" the car...any ideas? it is sort of like the *** wiggles, but a lot. I would guess 3 degrees of heading change when you initially hit the gas from holding a steady speed. The tires defiantly do not break loose, and it does this Every time.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would put the car up on a lift and check the suspension. Check for worn bushings and stuff like that, something that will allow the suspension to shift under load. It sounds like under acceleration, something may be shifting to push the car to the side, and under deceleration, the opposite reaction.
That's what I would do, anyway.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
take a look at motor/trans mounts too

·
Registered
46 Posts
The car should not do that if the suspension is setup correctly.

The first thing you need to do is get the car aligned. And do not go a ordinary tire shop. Go to either a Porsche dealer or a shop that is familiar with Porsche alignment. I suspect that the alignment is off (rear toe? front toe?) It's also possible that your car with aftermarket springs has some suspension issues or has been in an accident and its chssis is tweaked.

·
Registered
621 Posts
All good advice. I'd follow bigwong's recommendation first, and then the others. While checking bushings, grab the tires and try the rotate the wheels around a vertical axis (steer them), then push them fore-aft, etc - you'd be surprised how much you can find out with simple tests like these. Also, put a wrench on all suspension bolts (eccentrics, etc) and confirm their tightness (what we call a "nut and bolt"). Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
At just 22k miles I'd be surprised if your issues are the result of normal suspension component wear. My guesses are a gross misalignment caused by a severe impact or a really inept spring installation, or physical damage from a collision. In any case, something is very wrong. Did you have a good PPI (pre-purchase inspection)? Any collision history disclosed to you?

·
Registered
358 Posts
It shouldn't wiggle. In fact I really love the lack of torque steer and/or other goofiness when accelerating. Hope you can find the problem and it is an inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all of the ideas. after we put the springs in i took it to a local shop to align it and that was the problem. the kid that did it did not pull the pins on the back of the rack to let the car "settle". took it back today and the owner asked me if i had hit something because it was so far out of alignment. he said that he was able to get it close but the right rear toe and camber was maxed out and still not in tollerence. now it tracks strait under power, but i still worry that the tires wont wear even so i guess i have to take it to the dealer. lesson learned

he said that the machine measures off the rear tires to allign the fronts. i am sure that the whole thing is a mess.

cheers

·
Registered
992 Posts
thanks for all of the ideas. after we put the springs in i took it to a local shop to align it and that was the problem. the kid that did it did not pull the pins on the back of the rack to let the car "settle". took it back today and the owner asked me if i had hit something because it was so far out of alignment. he said that he was able to get it close but the right rear toe and camber was maxed out and still not in tollerence. now it tracks strait under power, but i still worry that the tires wont wear even so i guess i have to take it to the dealer. lesson learned

he said that the machine measures off the rear tires to allign the fronts. i am sure that the whole thing is a mess.

cheers
I doubt a dealer would help you since the problem was caused by the springs. You don't need one anyway - just find a well known indy and swap in the stock springs.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Glad you're making progress. I agree a good independent shop can align these cars just as well as the dealer, for less. (Key word being 'good'). However, I doubt the springs are an issue, as many of us have them. With a good alignment you should be fine. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
*** End Wiggle?

End wiggle? Are you CRAZY??!!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Don't assume their analysis is correct. Check the local forums or PCA website to see if there's a reputable independent shop close by that specializes in Porsches. If there aren't any, check the NASA road racing site for high performance alignment shops that locals use for their rack cars. If all else fails, take it to the dealer for an alignment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.