Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, just wondering if I can run the car just for one day with the stock engine cover out. Because every last sunday of the month we make a Porsche meet and run through our island and have a great time with our cars and I'm cleaning mine up very nice. So is it safe to se without the cover?

Thanks,
Ricky

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
If you don't mind noise, heat and fumes from the engine bay getting into the passenger compartment. Personally I wouldn't do it, I'd spring for a clear engine cover and use that instead. If you want to "show off" your engine then you need to do it the right way, otherwise there is no reason to take the cover off, the car isn't going to run any differently if you do...

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
If you do decide to go against the above recommendations, I would definitely drive with the windows open. Otherwise, I vote clear engine cover. Do a search, there are two or three out there to choose from.

-Moto

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, It was just for tomorrow to see if I can but with all that recommendations I prefer not to do it. But the HIP engine cover will be my next mod I definitely love how it looks !!! Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
That is the cover I went with and am very happy with it. Before purchasing, I would highly recommend driving around without the OEM foam engine cover and see how you like it. The HIP isn't for everyone as, for some, the noise can become a nuisance especially over long hauls.

Good luck!
-Moto

Ok, It was just for tomorrow to see if I can but with all that recommendations I prefer not to do it. But the HIP engine cover will be my next mod I definitely love how it looks !!! Thanks guys

·
On Probation
582 Posts
if it was a short trip maybe....but a long trip i would wonder if it could pull exhaust fumes back in like an old station wagon rear window

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
HIP now also offers an insulated cover for the clear engine cover for long drives and whining wives/girlfriends.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
That is the cover I went with and am very happy with it. Before purchasing, I would highly recommend driving around without the OEM foam engine cover and see how you like it. The HIP isn't for everyone as, for some, the noise can become a nuisance especially over long hauls.

Good luck!
-Moto
I have seen where people have that HIP cover (one Cayman for sale in Texas with it) with painted red and white Porsche lettering on the engine. Did you do that? Is that something somebody sells or does one just use spray paint for that?

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I have seen where people have that HIP cover (one Cayman for sale in Texas with it) with painted red and white Porsche lettering on the engine. Did you do that? Is that something somebody sells or does one just use spray paint for that?
The search tool and the Articles section are your friends, don't fear them! :hilarious:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went in the run today. We took a 7 hour run across part of the island. There was a new GT2 and a Superlegera very nice cars ! Only left the metal cover on top of the engine and love how it sounded ! I will take the HIP cover into consideration. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
I personally do not have the painted the red with white lettering but I do have the plenum which helps break up the otherwise all black engine compartment a little.

For those that do have them, most paint it themselves but as K-man S pointed out, do a search and you'll find plenty of info on how to do it (check the articles). It seems pretty easy.

-Moto

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I once drove my car about 45 miles from the dealership to home, without the aluminum cover. I turned on the fan/AC, and had the windows open half way. The sound was VERY loud, actually very interesting to drive it this way. I never had problems with exhaust fumes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.