Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine fan (passenger side, next to rear wheel well) has been functioning inappropriately for a year or so. It does work to cool the engine when necessary, but it also comes on when not necessary. For instance, if I park the car overnight when temperatures are in the 60s, the fan will come on the minute I start the car in the morning--not every morning, but now and then. I may be out for a drive at low speeds--again when temps are in the 60s--and the fan will kick on when I'm stopped at a red light. This happens sporadically; there's no commonality in terms of where I am (parking garagejust startign up, stopped at red light during short drive, etc.) or how long I've been driving and each time, it revs for only a minute or two, then shuts off.

I've had this looked at by two dealers and one indepenent shop. Each time, they said that they were unable to duplicate the problem and therefore couldn't offer a remedy. (Ironically, just as I started the car after picking it up from a dealership one afternoon, the fan came on, but no mechanic was in sight. Of course.)

Yesterday, I brought it in again and the mechanic told me that he couldn't duplicate it, HOWEVER he told me that Porsche had issued a service bulletin for Boxster and Caymans in 2006 and 2007 to replace the fan switches. He said that no such notice had come up when they checked the VIN on my 2007, but I have long suspected the switch.

Has anyone heard about this alleged service bulletin (actually, the mechanic called it a recall)? Is there a way that I can check for it?

Many thanks and sorry for the lengthy write-up, but this has really been bugging me and I'm trying to get it fixed before the warranty expires and the entire switch blows.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THX, I thought that I would have heard something about it had it been issued. Maybe the mechanic was confusing it with something else...

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
THX, I thought that I would have heard something about it had it been issued. Maybe the mechanic was confusing it with something else...
Was the mechanic who mentioned this a tech at a dealer or independent shop? If it was a dealer's shop tech, you should follow up with them on it - maybe it hasn't been listed yet, or some other anomaly.

brad

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I recently added to a thread and started one on my compartment blower failing last week or so ago. Same deal the tech/mechanic couldn't duplicate it and found no faults listed but managed to figure out that it wouldn't run, very long story. Anyhoo, they overnighted a new compartment blower then somehow managed to blow out the gasket on the thermostat and drop all the coolant, sweet. They maintained the blower itself was NFG not the switch.

MJP27

Did you get a warning message saying your engine compartment blower failed? I did and it cleared after 20 minutes or so, I have a MY08. you can hear it run from inside? I tried but can't.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beez and Shaky,

The tech was indeed with a dealership and seemed to know his stuff, but I'm not sure how to further pursue this, since the notice failed to display when the service manager pulled up info on my vehicle.

Shaky, bummer about the coolant mess. Did your fan fail to come on entirely? Sounds like the opposite of my problem, but it may well be the fan itself. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Beez and Shaky,

The tech was indeed with a dealership and seemed to know his stuff, but I'm not sure how to further pursue this, since the notice failed to display when the service manager pulled up info on my vehicle.

Shaky, bummer about the coolant mess. Did your fan fail to come on entirely? Sounds like the opposite of my problem, but it may well be the fan itself. Thanks for the info.
Yup, blower failed and never came back on, can't figure out why the failure cleared after 20 mins or so, it should have stayed on, seems as all's good tho, coolant hasn't moved and no messages so far. You may want them to pull/test your blower that's how they realised my was fried, after they pulled it and tried to run it....:cheers:

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Beez and Shaky,

Since this was a dealer tech, I think you should follow up with them to get some clarification. Perhaps they've expanded the VIN range for the service bulletin and your car is now included. Have they ever hooked it up to the computer and checked the sensors and switches for faults?

brad

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Need Advice

Sitting still for ten minutes yesterday with car running, talking to a buddy, get beeped by a message, engine compartment failure...WTF, same thing as couple weeks ago. Far right side of temp guage was flashing, temp never moved and then it went out in 30 seconds or so??? message cleared as well.

So, do I drive it or not is the big question, last trip to the dealer was a bit of a fiasco and was assured it wasn't the sensor! that's why they replaced the blower. If a message clears like that does it mean that the issue/failure cleared itself, otherwise it would still be in alarm, correct?, thanks......

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Need Advice

Sitting still for ten minutes yesterday with car running, talking to a buddy, get beeped by a message, engine compartment failure...WTF, same thing as couple weeks ago. Far right side of temp guage was flashing, temp never moved and then it went out in 30 seconds or so??? message cleared as well.

So, do I drive it or not is the big question, last trip to the dealer was a bit of a fiasco and was assured it wasn't the sensor! that's why they replaced the blower. If a message clears like that does it mean that the issue/failure cleared itself, otherwise it would still be in alarm, correct?, thanks......
Check in the on-board computer to see if it stored the fault - it's under "messages," I think. If so, when you take it into the dealer again they'll have a fault to check out. If not, then I'd probably still take it in sometime and tell them your problem with this continues. I don't think it will hurt the car to continue driving it.

brad

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Thanks Beez, just checked, "no messages present" I believe that was what it said in the info page. Started the car in my garage and let it run till it got up to temp and gave it another 5-7 mins, waited with a flashlight to see if the blower would start. It didn't, but there were no failure/faults either. Once the engine is up to temp should the blower be running? it was fairly warm near the grill, any idea of the sequence/timing of the blower, I know it runs off the temp switch but how quick should it be starting?....:thanks:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts