Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

While changing my air filter I noticed that the 2 hoses which run over the top of my engine showed considerable wear from what I think it is safe to assume being in contact with the engine cover. When squeezing the portions of the hose which show wear, the hose is significantly not as firm at these sections in comparison to the unaffected parts of the same hose.

I took the car to my dealer with this and a few other minor issues/concerns and this was the only one they did not seem to address like I hoped they would. The response from the tech concerning this item my invoice was: "R/R engine compartment lid. All hoses appear in good shape. No unusual wear noted."

My question to the Planet 9 Community -
Is this wear normal and/or anything I need to be concerned about?

Thanks for any and all help,
Brad

·
On Probation
582 Posts
it may have a sleeve over the presure hose [thats what is wearing] is the metal lid bowed down ? the dealer looked at it so you have a paper trail

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
Those are not hoses (probably why the dealer said OK). Those are the shift cables inside of protective covers.

Since the transmission is behind the engine the cables come out of the interior, through the firewall, over the engine, and down to the transmission.

Cheers,

·
Registered
911 Posts
Regardless of what they are I don't think that's right. If I saw that in my engine compartment I'd be concerned. It's certainly not going to get any better on it's own and with time and I think it's safe to assume something's got to give.

That's just MHO.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have heard it is normal for them to rub on the metal cover and they also rub on the aftermarket clear covers (which I have seen in person). I can not say what is considered an acceptable amount of wear though. The clear engine cover I saw did not appear to have as much wear as you are showing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I took my cover off today and noticed the same thing. I recently bought my CS and the PPI came back all clear. I may call the shop that did the PPI to double check to make sure everything is ok.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
This is an old thread, and idle for a reason--there is nothing to be concerned about with the shifter cables rubbing against the engine cover. I would venture to claim that the cables on EVERY Cayman rub, and there has never been a cable failure due to this rubbing. The cables fail at either end...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Noticed the same thing on mine the other day. I looked carefully at the "hoses" and it's clear that there isn't any damage to them. It just looks like slight wear from rubbing against the metal engine cover.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Same here. I have the same exact marks on my cover as well. Don't think it's really an issue.

·
Registered
378 Posts
An interesting new issue to note.
A friend of mine had a shifter cable fail recently, and we found that there was no damage to either end of the cable.
The cable had broken somewhere in the middle!
Both the shifter end ball cup and the transmission end cup were perfectly intact.

Just wanted to throw this into the mix as an unexpected possibility.

Even if you have taken preventive measures to improve the reliability of the ends, the middle portion can still fail.

·
PCA member since 1998
295 Posts
Appropriate thread since I've noticed this on my car as well.

Haven't done anything about it though...

·
Registered
128 Posts
it is not rubbing on the cables, its rubbing on a sleeve that protects the duct that protects the cables (in other words, no way that it would affect the shifter cables)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts