Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been smelling a slight coolent smell for a month or so and the temp gauge has been just a smidgen (not much at all ) above the middle and not very often ,But now a engine warning light came on that says take to shop ? also the idle is not steady it goes up and down just a little .any ideas on what this could be ?
Darn just as I was installing my Gunmetal Grey wheels today too:(

On a second note I am out of beer for the 2 playoff games today .
afraid to drive as I dont want to damage my baby :)

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you check that? I see there is a resivour in the trunk with a big yelloe cap but its hard to tell the level ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
How do you check that? I see there is a resivour in the trunk with a big yelloe cap but its hard to tell the level ? Thanks
If you look in the filler neck after removing the cap, you will see 2 plastic level indicators marked "Min" and "Max" (you might need a flashlight to see clearly) - your coolant fluid level should be between those markers. By the way, I believe the coolant cap is blue (it's the one next to the oil filler cap in the back trunk) - if you are looking at a yellow cap, I'm not sure what you are looking at.

If it is low, then it sounds like you might have a leak somewhere, especially since you have been smelling antifreeze - possibly similar to what Pistol Pete reported in another thread here:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-tech/41206-coolant-level.html#post429552

If you are comfortable poking around under the engine cover, you may be able to find it yourself, otherwise, it sounds like a trip to the Service Dept. may be in order.

From the O.M.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ks-cs

Ok I will go do that and post my results ,Thanks so much :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re: Ks-cs

You can also run down to Auto one and ask them to read out the code that is being thrown at least that way you will have a better sense of what might be going on.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
coolent level is fine the smell is just an overspill that I caused when i took the filler cap off one time to check the level when the engine was hot.
Took the car to the dealer and they told me the reason the light is on and its not ideling smooth is the ECU is not working correctly with the car .They told me they could not correct it because I had a SRP and Flash .
They said the car is running too lean and that is the issue ,Air fuel mixture is not accurate due to ECU .
Should I call Scott? Or just check all the hoses and Re-Flash ? Thanks guys :)

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
moralem

I am going to another Dealer ,The one I bought it from .I am waiting for scott to resend my flash to me so I can unflash the car and take it in .The dealer in Seattle will work on it :) Thanks :)

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

Ok so I was going to Go to another dealer but before I did that I hooked up my laptop with my durametric software and OBD cable and ran the Engine ECU error codes selection and sure enough 4 of them poped up with some oxygen sensor and Idle error readings . I then chose to Clear them and completed the procedure .Unhooked the OBD and started the car and SCHZAM!!!!
Check engine light is off and it idles perfect!!!!!!!!!! can this be ? Took it out for a spin and WOW my car runs perfect again :)
:cheers::cheers: to Durametric and Softronic

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re: This is Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

What kind of exhaust are you running? If you have cats and headers they may be causing you to throw the 02 sensor codes like 2198 and 2272 which indicate too lean and too rich respectively. I run a REVO flash and it probably is not written with the parameters for my cats and headers. At least that is what the RUF guys tell me and that I should change out my flash......good luck

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
moralem

I have a Remus catback Exhaust (No aftermarket headers)and a H&R air filter .
Recently took a 2500 mile road trip to Ca so I dont know if that could have something to do with it but the Durametric is god send :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts