Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the generation 1 engine is not a true Porsche racing engine, as in a cup car, how long are they expected to last using them in racing conditions? I am new to this, currently in a 06 CS. I thought I would ask this question in this forum, because you guys are really using the car for racing, not just a few track days. Are there are certain number of hours that you race the engines before having to rebuild? I understand that you have done mods to the engines that a "track use" car would not have done.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We are using the GenII Caymans which are considerably different than the "06 I think you may want to ask the guys who are running the earlier cars in the Cayman Spec Racing series. They have their own forum and I am sure they can help answer your question.

Ron

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. How many racing hours do you expect to get out of the Gen 11 engines, before a rebuild?

·
Registered
42 Posts
At this point,we have a total of about 35K+/- race miles covered if you add all the mileage on the cars.......leakdown on all the engines has been perfect,no oil leaks,bearing wear,or "funny noises". The engines have been extremely reliable. So it's hard to say what we expect.....

We will just keep running like that little pink rabbit!!!

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Taking the gen 2 out for a full day racing on Sat which shall will see me hitting over 200kph down the main straight. Should be interesting!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Wow... so over 400 hours on the engines, and they are still going strong. Maybe I need to upgrade....
I just made the switch for this reason. I started tracking my '07 CS last year and got addicted. Had the oppurtunity to pick up a lightly used '09 a couple of weeks ago. I realize it's too early to tell but the news on this engine, so far, is pretty positive.

Taking the gen 2 out for a full day racing on Sat which shall will see me hitting over 200kph down the main straight. Should be interesting!
You'll love it.

I had the '09 less than 30hrs and was already on track with it. Drove it stock except for sway bars and slightly lowered with a spring change. Really, really nice on track. To me it felt tighter than my '07 and there's good power in the higher RPM's. The straight speeds on this track had me closer to 220kmph and it felt very stable. I think they made some subtle aero tweaks and the tub seems more rigid. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Isn't this what driving a Porsche was (is) all about ?? Driving a car during the week which can be and is raced on the weekend.
This race series is GREAT stuff and may prod, encourage, and/or embarrass Porsche into the 21st century.

Jack
Tampa

·
3,755 Posts
Car went flawlessly.
Gots some great comments that the Capristo Exhaust sounded the best of all the cars.
Came 3rd outright. wooo

·
Premium Member
981CaymanS
611 Posts
Wow... so over 400 hours on the engines, and they are still going strong. Maybe I need to upgrade....
Hi JCay, nice pictures..! Is the the small square black thingy on the front of the center radiator a transponder?

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Isn't this what driving a Porsche was (is) all about ?? Driving a car during the week which can be and is raced on the weekend.
This race series is GREAT stuff and may prod, encourage, and/or embarrass Porsche into the 21st century.

Jack
Tampa
Jack,

I totally understand what you mean, but I would like to make a point on this subject. No flame intended.:cheers:

You can race a Gen I car, and it will do very well. Of course, when you race you will break things and wear things out. Like engines. ;) This is why they say the best way to end up with a half a million dollars in your pocket at the end of a season is to start with a million in your pocket.:eek:

Racing outside of pure stock classes means you will make the car be able to do things that the engineers who built the car never intended the car to be able to do. That will put loads on parts that will eventually wear out and break. Modifications move the weakest point somewhere else. Add sticky tires and better suspension and alignment...and a Gen I engine will have oil issues. Nothing that money can't fix, though.

There is a reason why Cup cars are so expensive...and they still break and wear out.

My point, I guess, is that sometimes I think our expectations are set a bit too high. We can blame the Porsche marketing machine, but not if we have any exposure to motorsports. Then we should all know better.

The Gen II series cars are certainly making a good name for themselves at this point. :cheers:

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
Jack,

I totally understand what you mean, but I would like to make a point on this subject. No flame intended.:cheers:

You can race a Gen I car, and it will do very well. Of course, when you race you will break things and wear things out. Like engines. ;) This is why they say the best way to end up with a half a million dollars in your pocket at the end of a season is to start with a million in your pocket.:eek:

Racing outside of pure stock classes means you will make the car be able to do things that the engineers who built the car never intended the car to be able to do. That will put loads on parts that will eventually wear out and break. Modifications move the weakest point somewhere else. Add sticky tires and better suspension and alignment...and a Gen I engine will have oil issues. Nothing that money can't fix, though.

There is a reason why Cup cars are so expensive...and they still break and wear out.

My point, I guess, is that sometimes I think our expectations are set a bit too high. We can blame the Porsche marketing machine, but not if we have any exposure to motorsports. Then we should all know better.

The Gen II series cars are certainly making a good name for themselves at this point. :cheers:
+1. Race cars break. All of them. Cup Cars (Grand Am, ALMS, PCA, etc) inlcuded. Infact, the cup engines are "freshened" at a lower hour count than most of the Gen 1 engines fail. Not too bad really.

Also, to clarify someones point from above, the 400 hours is the total among all cars in the Interseries, not just on one car.

Cheers,

·
3,755 Posts
Tell us more re your race. Was the capristo on # "3" ??

jack
Tampa
Yes I had the Capristo fitted 2 weeks ago so on Sat I was racing with it. Down shifting in open mode sounds fantastic and the best thing is it sounds serious and not like some added on piece of resonant junk.
I'll be posting a video soon as I get a bit of time.

Can you also tell us your thoughts on the Gen2 v. Gen1 on track?
I would say the car is a very slight improvement in handling or maybe even the same, its very hard to tell. But the biggest difference is the LSD and PASM.
With PASM it is way more planted, and the car does not lean so much.
With the LSD the PSM is not activating anymore on the same corner as before and allows you to keep the power up, but you can tell that the rear does step out a fraction more as a result but in a very nice controlled way.
I usually have trouble beating a fellow 996 GT3 driver, but I cleaned him up this time! He also said there is no way he can overtake me anymore.
:banana:

·
Registered
86 Posts
FYI one of the cars had a 2nd gear problem at Sebring this last weekend but I didn't see exactly what the cause was.
Well that happened to be the Hippy car, my hot rod.

It wasn't bad, I could still drive it, in fact I did... started the 3 hour enduro and then drove to the paddock, waited 2:45 and then went out and took the checkered flag, scored starting points, finishing points and a 10th place finish in that race. Points that could make a difference in total series points. I simply didn't want to make it worse by racing on it further until we could fix it. Team Napleton Motorsports got me running again between races and I went on to take my third podium of the weekend.

The car keeps getting better and faster everytime I drive/race it. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts