Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Discovered a pretty fast oil leak at the bottom of my engine (a 2.7 with 30K miles). Can you identify what this component is (red arrow)? It is located at the front (firewall side, where the accessories are), driver side:

Auto part Engine Fuel line

Auto part Rust

Auto part Metal

Thanks for your input!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently found some drips on the floor under my 2013 Boxster S. Bottom of the sump was wet, similar to the pics posted by the OP. Traced the leak to the flange of the oil pressure control valve. So most probably the same issue. Question to ratherBeDriving, do you know if the control valve itself was leaking (through the electrical connector?) or were it the O-rings? Looking at the workshop manual it does not seem to be a very difficult procedure to replace the solenoid, only draining the coolant seems a hassle, hope that part can be skipped.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently found some drips on the floor under my 2013 Boxster S. Bottom of the sump was wet, similar to the pics posted by the OP. Traced the leak to the flange of the oil pressure control valve. So most probably the same issue. Question to ratherBeDriving, do you know if the control valve itself was leaking (through the electrical connector?) or were it the O-rings? Looking at the workshop manual it does not seem to be a very difficult procedure to replace the solenoid, only draining the coolant seems a hassle, hope that part can be skipped.
The technician first changed the rings but that didn't pass dealer's own overnight test. So they changed the entire switch (see attached for work log).

My problem didn't end here as the technician somehow bent the oil pan, so started leaking from the pan soon after. I ended up going to a different dealer to address the mistake dealer 1 caused. So ended up replacing the oil pan too but the car never leaked from the pressure control valve again (or any other seal as of yet @ 47K miles).

Good luck let me know if you need more detail.

Text Font Monochrome Line Design

·
Registered
17 Posts
It turned out that the solenoid and associated o-rings were not the cause of my oil leak, which surprised me as the OP's pictures could have been taken from my car. Ultimately, I replaced the gaskets on the sump (top and bottom) and this seems to have solved the issue. Still do not understand why a rubber molded gasket starts to leak all of a sudden.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.