Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, may I know which and how much engine oil your dealer/workshop uses for your 981?

What engine oil does the car come with (brand new)? Should I do a run in service like BMW M cars after first 2000km or 1200miles?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
The oil is Mobil 1. Porsche schedule oil changes are 1year/10K miles. There is no change after break-in in the manual. You can do change after break-in, and many people do. But that's optional and not really necessary. As well as break-in itself :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
How much oil your car's engine requires may not be the same for other 981's. Changes during production can affect the amount of oil the engine needs.

The amount of oil is tied to the car's VIN. The techs have access to this info for every car -- not to imply that every car is different -- and might be willing to share this with you.

I believe Mobil 1 0w-40 is still the factory fill.

As for a run in service or an early oil/filter service my advice is to do this or have it done unless the owners manual prohibits it.

I changed the oil in my 08 Cayman S at 750 miles (and as I expected the oil was filthy!) and again at 1500 miles (the oil was not nearly as filthy) and again at 2K miles (at the end of break in).

My 2002 Boxster received an early oil/filter service (at around 4K miles) and every 5K miles afterwards and the original engine now has nearly 286K miles on it. Still runs as good as it ever did.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
How much oil your car's engine requires may not be the same for other 981's. Changes during production can affect the amount of oil the engine needs.

The amount of oil is tied to the car's VIN. The techs have access to this info for every car -- not to imply that every car is different -- and might be willing to share this with you.

I believe Mobil 1 0w-40 is still the factory fill.

As for a run in service or an early oil/filter service my advice is to do this or have it done unless the owners manual prohibits it.

I changed the oil in my 08 Cayman S at 750 miles (and as I expected the oil was filthy!) and again at 1500 miles (the oil was not nearly as filthy) and again at 2K miles (at the end of break in).

My 2002 Boxster received an early oil/filter service (at around 4K miles) and every 5K miles afterwards and the original engine now has nearly 286K miles on it. Still runs as good as it ever did.
This is exactly what my ST told me today. Every car is different. Mine took 8.25 Qts. and is one segment shy of the completely full indication.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
This is exactly what my ST told me today. Every car is different. Mine took 8.5 Qts. and is one segment shy of the completely full indication.
That's very interesting and informative Rockster and Bybybmw. Thanks for sharing.

LG is one segment down from full fill with 8 qts. Would not have thought there would be such a volume variation with a PCar.

:cheers:

·
Registered
309 Posts
That's very interesting and informative Rockster and Bybybmw. Thanks for sharing.

LG is one segment down from full fill with 8 qts. Would not have thought there would be such a volume variation with a PCar.

I wouldn't think there'd be much volume variation with any car, period. Are manufacturing tolerances that lax? Doubtful. Does it likely have more to do with how much you drain out?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wouldn't think there'd be much volume variation with any car, period. Are manufacturing tolerances that lax? Doubtful. Does it likely have more to do with how much you drain out?
last change i made took me 8 liters ( 8.454 quarts) to see all the 4 green segments ( oil filter change included )

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Possibly. But for both of LG's changes (2013 and recently 2014) I drained until hardly a drip - indeed about an hour drain each time. So my Feb 2013 281B S build is indeed at 8.5 (to full to mark) or 8 qts with with one segment showing.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was going to ask the same question. Do you guys have any recommendations on where to have this done? I had an Audi for so long previously, and oil change at the Audi dealership came free for so long during the first years of ownership, and was pretty inexpensive afterwards, that I just stuck with that. However, I know nothing about Porsche except their "a la carte" pre-paid service options didn't make sense financially, so I'm wondering if a simple oil change/fluids change is super overpriced. Anyone know what it averages at the dealership?

And, if not the dealership, do the chain oil-change places know how to properly change oil on mid-engine cars like these where they may rarely see them? I assume I'd have to be very direct about specifying Mobil 1 0W-40, for one thing. And this is the Fully Synthetic 0W-40, right?

·
Registered
911 Posts
so I'm wondering if a simple oil change/fluids change is super overpriced. Anyone know what it averages at the dealership?
I've been quoted $325 to $400 for a 10k, one year service which may include additional inspections/checks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My local Dealership charges $199 for the 06' Cayman S, I do it myself comes to about $90 for 10 qts M1 0-40, Filter and Crush Washer, and it takes just about 1 hour. I change mine every year or 10K miles. I like getting my hands dirty.

`Gary

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was going to ask the same question. Do you guys have any recommendations on where to have this done? I had an Audi for so long previously, and oil change at the Audi dealership came free for so long during the first years of ownership, and was pretty inexpensive afterwards, that I just stuck with that. However, I know nothing about Porsche except their "a la carte" pre-paid service options didn't make sense financially, so I'm wondering if a simple oil change/fluids change is super overpriced. Anyone know what it averages at the dealership?

And, if not the dealership, do the chain oil-change places know how to properly change oil on mid-engine cars like these where they may rarely see them? I assume I'd have to be very direct about specifying Mobil 1 0W-40, for one thing. And this is the Fully Synthetic 0W-40, right?
Expect the dealer to charge 3x what you can do it for yourself if you have access to a lift. I would steer clear of the chain oil change establishments. And yes the Mobil 1 0W-40 is fully synthetic.

Reactions: auditoporsche

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not to highjack the OPs thread but I am wondering about removing the Service Vehicle message on the dash after you complete the oil change. I plan to do this in the next few weeks and I am wondering if the vehicle does it automatically or if I need to disconnect the battery for 15-30 minutes?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Guys, may I know which and how much engine oil your dealer/workshop uses for your 981?

What engine oil does the car come with (brand new)? Should I do a run in service like BMW M cars after first 2000km or 1200miles?
Not an easy answer...
I've only changed the oil once - 981 BS 2014 (other years/models may have slightly different values) - so I need to (re)check on my next (own) service!

But first things first:
1) Porsche recommends «Mobil1» in their '0W40', '5W40' or '5W50' variants.
2) AFAIK, from factory all «Porsches» come with «Mobil1 0W40», which is understandable:
-> It's the "little thinner / less viscosity' sibling and the more appropriate for the first miles, aka, burn in.
-> It's the better choice for the "global climate/temperature, specially for the first drive minutes/miles/kilometers while the engine it getting to (normal/drive) temperatures, which is crucial for its "health & longevity"...
3) «Porsches» show the "4th Green Oil Level Bar" when factory delivered, so (apparently) they come filled up to maximum capacity, thus I don't see any reason for not keeping it that way all its life time.

As side-note and because we have a very hot Summer over here - at least one month minimum temperatures averaging more than 30 Degrees Celsius and raising to 43-45 in some regions, while the Winter very seldom shows negative ones - I decided using the '5W50' variant; in fact I have always used 5W50 or 10W60 for the last years in all my cars... ;)

Getting back to subject, here are my findings and report after the first «Oil & Oil Filter (own) Change/Service» - The listed values were measured with no drop of oil in the oil cans or engine or oil filter! Again, this is a «Porsche Boxster S 2014» delivered in September 2013. :taunt:

7,000 Liter - The «1st Green Bar after Minimum Oil Level Read Out» already shows (I was afraid of putting less than 7l and having the low level warning showing up...)
7,500 Liter - The «3rd Green Bar after Minimum Oil Level Read Out» already shows (I guess I should have gone for a smaller quantity, but I was impatient, mea culpa! :()
7,900 Liter - The «4th/Full Green Bar Oil Level Read Out» appears (From 7,500 to 7,900 I filled at 0,100 steps, so at 7,800 I still had 3 bars, the 4th bar appearing with the last 0,100 refill)
Therefore, Maximum Oil Level - with Oil Filter Substitution + Waiting for No-Drop in oil cans, oil filter and engine - lies somewhere in between 7,800 to 7,900 Liter! :dance:
Putting this into the manual described values which states that from minimum-to-maximum oil level is a 1,7 Liter difference, means approximately:
No Green Bar / Minimum Oil Level -> 6,150 Liter | 1 Green Bar -> 6,575 Liter | 2 Green Bar -> 7,000 Liter | 3 Green Bar -> 7,425 Liter | 4 Green Bar / Maximum Oil Level -> 7,850 Liter
(Of course, close to the frontier/step zone one may have a one bar difference, for instance, a little less than 7,000 Liter will show 1 Green Bar, a little more 2 Green Bars...)

...And regarding the first oil change, IMHO, changing it as early as 1200 miles / 2000 km is a waste both in oil and regarding environment... :( - Make it 7500 km, and we will agree! ;)

Hope this answers all your questions - Cheers! :beer:

P.S.
----
Before unscrewing, also measured/confirmed "Factory Torques" of:
-> Drain Plug = 37 ft-lbs
-> Oil Filter Cover = 19 ft-lbs

Tools:
-> (Best) Oil Remover Wrench = «Hazet 2169» (which is longer/better than «Hazet 2169-1»... :)
-> 12" (or slightly longer) Wrench Extension
-> 8mm Allen Type Wrench

Gear:
-> Ramps/Stands (Don't forget Safety!)
-> Drain Pan + Shop Towels

Hands & Patience:
-> Give it a time, lunch/dinner or go to sleep so the oil drains to the last drop
-> Use «Porsche» complete «Oil Filter Kit» / European (?) references:
1x 90012310630 (Oil Drain Plug Crush Metal Washer)
1x 99610731351 (Oil Filter Cover Rubber O-ring)
1x 9A110722400 (Oil Filter)

--> Take your time and enjoy! :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
and the original engine now has nearly 286K miles on it. Still runs as good as it ever did.
Good to read, I'll remember that when my Boxster is 40.86 years old. ;)

·
Registered
832 Posts
It is not manufacturing tolerances that affect engine oil capacity, it is the engine's oil sump capacity may have changed due to changes in the casting mold. Maybe Porsche decided to make a change so the engine carried a bit more oil? Or something in the oil increased (or decreased) in size or volume? For instance Porsche may have switched to larger or smaller defoaming pots. This switch may not have been do to a real design change just the supplier ran out of one particular part number and substituted another part number, but one that was of course approved for substitution by Porsche.

·
Registered
832 Posts
AFAIK disconnecting the battery doesn't erase or remove this service vehicle message. This has to be done by using the Porsche diagnostic computer. Some dealers will remove this for free, but some will not and I think more and more are electing to charge for this "service".

The reason is the Porsche diagnostics computer is very expensive to purchase and keep "alive". Thousands of dollars to buy and hundreds of dollars per month to keep the license active is what I've been told. As a consequence many dealers have elected to have just one computer. And it is busy in constant use. New car PDI requires the use of the diagnostic computer, as does warranty work. Even in some cases repair or service work in or out of warranty. The way the software works is different now too in that the diagnostic software wants to do a complete scan of the car's controllers and this takes time. So even to clear the service message can tie up the computer for 15 to 30 minutes.

All is not lost: You may be able to clear the service message using an aftermarket tool called Durametric.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
AFAIK disconnecting the battery doesn't erase or remove this service vehicle message. This has to be done by using the Porsche diagnostic computer. Some dealers will remove this for free, but some will not and I think more and more are electing to charge for this "service".

The reason is the Porsche diagnostics computer is very expensive to purchase and keep "alive". Thousands of dollars to buy and hundreds of dollars per month to keep the license active is what I've been told. As a consequence many dealers have elected to have just one computer. And it is busy in constant use. New car PDI requires the use of the diagnostic computer, as does warranty work. Even in some cases repair or service work in or out of warranty. The way the software works is different now too in that the diagnostic software wants to do a complete scan of the car's controllers and this takes time. So even to clear the service message can tie up the computer for 15 to 30 minutes.

All is not lost: You may be able to clear the service message using an aftermarket tool called Durametric.
My Dealer in CPa charges $37.50 (1/2 hr basic labor) to hook up the PIWIS (Porsche Integrated Workshop Information System) and then clear the "Oil Change Needed" display.

LG has lived with the this momentary 5-10 sec display for the last 18 mos - no problem. My INDE's off shore OBD reader/code clearer still would not clear the display as of Oct 2014 (my most recent oil change). But maybe someday when his UNIT's annual download catches up??

My Dealer has but one PIWIS unit for entire service department so always in demand; The units are expensive and require for more $$$ monthly data updates I was told. Porsche does not sell them even to Dealers - they are leased only. So any OBD units claiming to be PIWIS to be had/bought on the open market are clones at best.

Agree that the latest Durametric unit claims/will? clear this display, but little else it seems. Broader functionality/readout claimed/there? for older Porsche models does not seem available for the 981s and 991s when last I talked with them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts