Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!!

I need some help from you fine Porsche experts. I own a 2009 Porsche Cayman (base) with PDK automatic. While driving to get lunch, my car makes a funny noise and drops dead. Can't start the engine and I tow my car to the local dealership for analysis. I find out my car has 3 blown valves?? "Engine looks to be dead, you may need a new one" Does warranty cover this?? What in the world could I have done to blow my engine that has only 5,000 miles on it?? I get questioned about chips and altering the computer system. Never touched it. I only touched my exhaust (replaced stock with a Tubi) which I was told has nothing to do with my engine (at least I was told by many mechanics). I am so depressed because I bought the car of my dream and here I am with a potential bill if they void my warranty. Please help. I am going to find out tomorrow more details as to what could have caused this problem. I am almost at a lost for words and the cost will honestly push me to losing my car. Any advise would be appreciated. :(

·
On Probation
582 Posts
how did you break it in ? did you check/change oil ?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you didn't abuse the engine (e.g., no over-rev), I don't see why PCA won't cover this under warranty. G'luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed my oil at around 3,000 miles per the suggestion of some members on this board. Did I over-rev it? It's a porsche, I took it easy for the first couple thousand miles, but cranked it up after 4k miles. How can I overrev the engine when it's an automatic? Is that even possible, I thought the gears shift automatically? Call me an fool, but I thought this car was fool proof on a pdk.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In order to void your warranty, they must prove that your modification caused the problem. I highly doubt that your exhaust caused any engine issues. The dealer can look at the computer and see if you "over revved" the car and how many times, but as you said, its a PDK, so that shouldn't even be an issue. Even if you didn't change the oil, the car only has 5,000 miles!!! They can't blame you for that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Green Bean. I mean, I feel like the dealership isn't on my side - scary how much power they have with issues like this. Anybody I can call from Porsche who may help "just in case"? Considering I dont even know how severe the problem is, I've been thinking about calling a lawyer to cover myself. Anybody on the board ever deal with warranty issues with Porsche that can lend any advice?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Call me an fool, but I thought this car was fool proof on a pdk.
No need to get all defensive about it. You don't need to convince me you didn't abuse the car. If you know you didn't abuse the car, then no need to over-react. Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't go to your dealer with the above tone of response...even if you're frustrated to no end.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would have a glass or two of wine, go to sleep and you will find out more factual information tomorrow, at this point you are suffering from FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) since you don't have facts.

See what the dealer says and then you can either react or celebrate, you are just driving yourself crazy tonite.:beer::beer:

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,661 Posts
If you don't have any fatal over rev's in zone 5 or 6 they should cover it. My experience is thst they seem to expect over rev's in Z 1&2
To get into z 5 or 6 you need to blow a down shift or reset the rev limiter

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Thanks Green Bean. I mean, I feel like the dealership isn't on my side - scary how much power they have with issues like this. Anybody I can call from Porsche who may help "just in case"? Considering I dont even know how severe the problem is, I've been thinking about calling a lawyer to cover myself. Anybody on the board ever deal with warranty issues with Porsche that can lend any advice?
Get the dealership's diagnosis first, then see what they propose that they do. Based upon what you have told us, there is no way they will deny warranty coverage.

As far as the proper attitude is concerned, if they are anything less than customer service oriented and professional, then **** them. Dealerships prey on the weak. It is sad, but true. Any bad attitude on their part should be met with an immediate call to Porsche of North America. Call them directly and get the rep on the phone that handles service issues at dealerships. I would not wait for the dealership to act if they give you a bad feeling.

PCNA reps treat people with respect and courtesy and are extremely professional based upon my experience, unlike the clowns at the dealership. It is sad that this is required to get the service they should deliver by default in many cases, but it may be your only option.

You should expect to be treated like a customer, not a suspect or an idiot. It is their job to deal with someone who is justifiably concerned. They should be reassuring you and setting expectations properly without promising anything other than adherence to a proscribed procedure moving forward. In a friendly way.

I have tried both ways. My people pleaser personality got me condescension and lies in return. Sad, but true.

Good luck.

My prediction: No problem. Engine will be replaced. Freak occurrence. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
You should not have any warranty issues. To deny an engine warranty claim based on an aftermarket exhaust they (dealer/MFG) would have to prove that the exhaust caused the engine to fail. Aftermarket exhausts are in common use and I can assure you that would not be the case if total engine failures were a common result of their installation. As stated above the diagnostic computer tells the dealer whether or not the engine has experienced any overrev conditions that could damage the engine. A brand new engine will likely be the solution. This is not a problem. Keep us posted.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,661 Posts
Interesting take. My experience was the exact opposite. My dealer was very professional and honest about problems with Cayman engines, brakes & power steering. PCNA was professional in that they did everything by the book, but they absolutley refused to admit that there where and are issues with oiling, AOS, soft & ice brakes and power steering.

Changes to the engine oiling, power steering lines & cooler and brakes are not "fixes" they are "engineering improvements" A classic case of CYA

If this car wasn't tracked or over revved PCNA will cover it

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
My experience has been @#$% from both PCNA and the dealers. If the above from the OP are facts it will be interesting to hear the reason for not covering under warranty.

·
Banned
464 Posts
Hi James,

I'm sorry to know that you have engine problems on your 2009 Cayman. Did you ever note bluish smoke (sometimes a huge cloud) upon cold start-up from your exhaust?

The reason i'm asking is the fact i've faced this smoking problem and have returned my 2009 Cayman because of that. So, what has this got to do with you and your problem?

Well, first it is also a 2009 base Cayman and since you've mentioned 3 blown valves on such a low mileage engine, it has strengthen my belief that there is a build flaw with these engines regarding (1)too much valve guide clearance or (2)internal head cooling issue leading to excessive valve guide wear in result of excessive heat (how was the coolant level? - the 'thing' seems to disappear by itself!!!:eek:). (1) and (2) would explain the smoke upon cold start-up.

You can learn more from this video.

Either way, the valve to seat sealing will probably deteriorate much more rapidly than if the clearance was to spec and you will probably also have a better chance of “burning” a valve, as it seems to be the case with your engine. And, as you already have guessed it only will get worse if the engine is revved too often and too hard.

PS: Porsche has a TSB addressing the blue smoke out of the exhaust upon cold start-up ONLY for the 2009 base Cayman's and Boxter's. It consists in a mere DME software update - yeah right!:rolleyes: As expected it didn't solve the problem on my Cayman, and i even went as far as to have the AOS (air/oil separator) replaced which didn't help either.

·
Registered
444 Posts
What is the build date?

·
Registered
444 Posts
No but I was just wondering if yours was the 1st batch made in 08 vs one made later in 09.

I think yours is the 1st Gen II engine problem so far as I haven't read of any others. The Gen II has been out now for almost 2 years so I think it may be an abnormal defect in your engine and not a design flaw.

·
Banned
464 Posts
No but I was just wondering if yours was the 1st batch made in 08 vs one made later in 09.

I think yours is the 1st Gen II engine problem so far as I haven't read of any others. The Gen II has been out now for almost 2 years so I think it may be an abnormal defect in your engine and not a design flaw.
There is others base gen II from some members here - extanker comes to mind, if i remember correctly - evidencing oil smoke upon cold startup, sometimes BIG clouds of smoke. And now there is jamesp07 who has 'burned' 3 valve in a 2009 gen II base Cayman with a very low mileage engine. People here seem to accept the blue smoke upon start-up as a normal:eek: trait of these engines, but Porsche has a TSB adressing that same issue, regarding all 2009 Caymans and Boxters, acknowledging that a problem exits and therefore it's NOT a normal condition but a design flaw. 1st batch was made later in 08 and as such is considered already MY09, precisely what the TSB addresses. Mine was also a MY09 Cayman - #98Z9U750#.

I'm convinced that the blue smoke upon cold start-up is a predecessor of what will follows with time. In James' case it didn't took long (provided that his cayman smoked upon cold start-up):

Did I over-rev it? It's a porsche, I took it easy for the first couple thousand miles, but cranked it up after 4k miles. How can I overrev the engine when it's an automatic? Is that even possible, I thought the gears shift automatically? Call me an fool, but I thought this car was fool proof on a pdk.
That's the reason why, after ruled out several possibilites, i returned my Cayman: before James' problem would happen to me as soon as i would start to crank the engine up which i didn't for obvious reasons. The car had around 10,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.