Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a noise when I turned my car left or right. Porsche replaced the power steering pump.

Good thing is it no longer makes a noise when I turn left or right.

The bad thing is at low speeds I hear a whine from the engine.

I have a sound bite attached.

Any idea what it might be?

It is louder the warmer it is outside. If it is cold enough it is barely audible.

Attachments

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
sounds like a serpentine belt or belt idler pulley, tensioner.

Also sounds like a power steering pump gone bad.

Pick one to look at ... you could have lost the previous pump if a leak slowly drained the PS fluid. Could be happening again.

Strongly suggest you pull the top engine cover and check the PS fluid level. The min/Max marks are for level at min *temp* (cold) or Max (warmed up).

W/ that cover off, see if you can isolate the noise further.

When that proves fruitless pull the engine cover behind the seats and check belts, pulleys, alternator and water pump.

See if the noise goes away if the a/c is off ...

mmmv,
-PM.

·
Registered
279 Posts
+1 with Plainsman. Sounds like belt, pulley or steering pump. WP bearing also a possibility. Open the engine covers, start the car and listen carefully. Mechanics stethoscope may help you locate the sound more precisely. I had similar issue on my last MB and was terribly scared because I could not identify the exact location. Stopped by my indy for advice and he located the noise for 2 minutes as WP bearing. $65 and couple of hours work in the garage - problem solved. Where are you in SC?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.