Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've had my Cayman for about 3 weeks now and am thoroughly enjoying it!

Got a 2.7 Cayman with manual transmission. Options are short:
-Memory package
-Electric seats
-PCM with Nav
-19" Cayman S wheels
-Front and rear park assist
- Multifunction wheel
-Sports tailpipes

I've had one issue where the memory seats lost their ability to store and recall settings, took it back to the dealer and they reset the seat memory. Hope this won't be a recurrent problem.

It's also mildly annoying that the settings for leaving the stereo muted or AC off are not saved.

Overall, loving the car!

Took it out for some photos as well:

DSC04672-2.jpg DSC04677.jpg DSC04683.jpg DSC04688.jpg DSC04704-2.jpg DSC04716.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
Very nice car, the pictures are good as well.

·
Banned
548 Posts
As far as first posts go, that's a pretty good one. You could make posters out of a couple of those shots. :burnout:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice car and nice photos as well! Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Photos are just lovely; beautiful color; almost went that way, myself, but opted for the Rhodium Silver.
Also have a base 981, MT, lightly optioned; love the wheels.
Nice post; thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Photos are just lovely; beautiful color; almost went that way, myself, but opted for the Rhodium Silver.
Also have a base 981, MT, lightly optioned; love the wheels.
Nice post; thanks for sharing.
I also got the base 981 with Rhodium Silver... also with sport tailpipes and optioned similar to yours and OP.
I also picked up Sprint Booster, it really transforms the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also got the base 981 with Rhodium Silver... also with sport tailpipes and optioned similar to yours and OP.
I also picked up Sprint Booster, it really transforms the car.
Interesting; do you mind explaining a bit more about the Sprint Booster? Does it simply alter the throttle mapping? If so, more aggressively than the "Sports" button?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Congrats!

I love the 3rd pic against the grey wall. Fantastic shot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting; do you mind explaining a bit more about the Sprint Booster? Does it simply alter the throttle mapping? If so, more aggressively than the "Sports" button?
Yes it just alters the throttle mapping, much more aggressively then the sport button.
To be honest, I can barely feel the sport button when engaged.
Sprint Booster has 3 modes.. off, sport, race.
I run mine in sport most of the time, when I want some extra I'll turn the sport button on too.
Sometimes I go crazy and run it in race with the sport button.
I had to take it to the dealer to replace the rear shock, so I unplugged SB (10secs) and had to drive around part of the day without it.
The car was sooo anemic I couldn't believe I ever drove it like that before SB.
Really makes a difference.
I've used SB on other cars before this, I really like the product.
cost < $300 delivered. Never heard anything bad about it.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I think the car felt anemic because your muscle memory is used to spring booster. What's happening is you instinctively learn to apply that much pedal and so fast to accommodate your driving style. Then when you take Sprint Booster off - you do the same but results are different since mapping changed. And that *feels* sluggish. When in reality you can get exact same result, but need to apply more pedal, and faster. After a few days/weeks you'll adapt and be able to drive it like you want. Then when you turn sb back on - the car will feel wild for a while... and so on. At least that was my experience. No matter how you play with pedal mapping, after adaptation time I'll eventually drive car with the exactly same level of aggression, because foot/brain learns to work pedal differently depending on the mapping. Of course the extra-conservative mapping is just too much work/foot travel. But after some medium point - the further changing of the mapping curve doesn't really matter due to fact above.

Sport mode does more than just mapping the gas pedal, so I prefer it to spring booster. I just run my car in Sport Mode all the time (via mod) .

Yes it just alters the throttle mapping, much more aggressively then the sport button.
To be honest, I can barely feel the sport button when engaged.
Sprint Booster has 3 modes.. off, sport, race.
I run mine in sport most of the time, when I want some extra I'll turn the sport button on too.
Sometimes I go crazy and run it in race with the sport button.
I had to take it to the dealer to replace the rear shock, so I unplugged SB (10secs) and had to drive around part of the day without it.
The car was sooo anemic I couldn't believe I ever drove it like that before SB.
Really makes a difference.
I've used SB on other cars before this, I really like the product.
cost < $300 delivered. Never heard anything bad about it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the car felt anemic because your muscle memory is used to spring booster. What's happening is you instinctively learn to apply that much pedal and so fast to accommodate your driving style. Then when you take Sprint Booster off - you do the same but results are different since mapping changed. And that *feels* sluggish. When in reality you can get exact same result, but need to apply more pedal, and faster. After a few days/weeks you'll adapt and be able to drive it like you want. Then when you turn sb back on - the car will feel wild for a while... and so on. At least that was my experience. No matter how you play with pedal mapping, after adaptation time I'll eventually drive car with the exactly same level of aggression, because foot/brain learns to work pedal differently depending on the mapping. Of course the extra-conservative mapping is just too much work/foot travel. But after some medium point - the further changing of the mapping curve doesn't really matter due to fact above.

Sport mode does more than just mapping the gas pedal, so I prefer it to spring booster. I just run my car in Sport Mode all the time (via mod) .
I understand what you're saying T-Design... but I drove the car for 1 month without SB and wanted something more.
Then I drove for 1 month with SB, and no longer want anything extra. When I'm driving, if I lean on it just a little bit it makes a big difference
and feels very responsive.
There is a sort of natural, minimal amount you would/could press the gas pedal, and I think SB found that sweet spot.

But as with all things.. your mileage may differ.

·
Registered
294 Posts
So is it a dealer add on? Is it activated by a button on the console where the sports plus button would be, or with the existing sport button? Or is it a chip, and if so, who installed it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congratulations on the cayman. Yes i agree with Number 6, the SB for the price adds more smiles when driving. I have mine always on the green mode (sport). I couple it with the sport button when driving the canyons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Cayman is just awesome.

I previously had a 350z Track, which was totalled (some idiot turned across me from the opposing traffic lane) which led to the acquisition of the Cayman.

My impressions are that the Cayman essentially delivers very similar performance but at a much higher refinement. The Cayman does lack torque low in the rev range compared with the 350z but after driving it for a few weeks, I don't really miss it anymore. They both have useable power for daily driving without too much fear of endangering your life. The ride, whilst just as stable through corners as the 350z, is noticeably more compliant on bumps which is much welcomed.

The engine and exhaust note is much better than the 350z. The Cayman had a musical quality to the noises, the Zed was just noise (though it sounded nice in high revs from outside). The Cayman delivers a satisfying low growl in second gear from 2500 onwards (not loud at all but satsifying).

Interior quality and tech is without doubt vastly superior in the Cayman. Cabin noise is more refined.

The 350z was my first attainable dream car and it's sad that it didn't have a proper send off. However, I am very happy with the Cayman. It is a very suiting replacement for my previous 350z.

The Cayman is awesome.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts