Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07-987.1. First mod de-snork. Second mod EvoMS intake. Third mod EPL headers.

The car feels fantastic. A definite mod I would recommend to anyone considering it. Improved gains in power and torque across the entire RPM range. Mated to the stock muffler (for now), you have no drone and a nice growl. Windows down you can definitely her the change, but for the good. This is how the car should sound from the factory. I am so glad I bought these. Worth every penny. I did pick them up from a member on this forum tho. :dance:

Install wasn't bad at all. I started with the passenger side first which took some time, mainly to figure out the process and which tools are needed. The last bolt above the thermostat is a chore but I could do this job in 45 min all day long. I didn't even have a lift. But I am also still somewhat young and agile. ;)

These headers come with only one 02 sensor bung. (per side) So you will need to use the pre-cat 02 sensor on the install. Remove from clips and stretch these babies all the way and tighten. I zip tied the after-cat 02 sensors out of the way. I do have a CEL, naturally. I am going to weld new 02 bungs in the stock muffler (pre-muffler/cat) and run these 90 degree 02 bung extenders from Speedtech. 02 Bung Extenders Then I will install the after-cat 02 sensors and clear the CEL. I will post my progress and thoughts as I go. I've heard pros and cons to the bung extenders, but my ultimate goal is to keep the CEL off. I know the tune will turn the light off but it will still pop up under smog.

Next mods: borla exhaust, plenum, throttle body and EVOms tune.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pretty sure the person you bought them from couldn't get rid of the mil with those headers and went back and forth with the company till he gave up and removed them to sell....to you. Good luck and let us know if you have better results

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy I bought them from had a catastrophic engine failure and pulled these off before he junked the car. He admitted that he was not mechanical savvy and paid some one to install them. He never did any further on the CEL issue. I've read of other success stories on 996-997 cars running the same 02 bung extenders. I have place the order today for the extenders.

FYI. I can easily replicate these headers and offer them at a more affordable price. I just need the interest.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got around to getting the 02 bung mounted. We had to move the bung right before the secondary cat. There is a heat shield that prevents us from tapping into the other portion of the exhaust. Luckily the secondary 02 sensors reach! Just reach up inside and unclip the wires and you will have plenty of room. Now for the real test. I'm heading over today to get the CEL reset. I will keep everyone posted to see if these "scrubbers" keep the light off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: The location of the scrubbers was too far back and I kept getting a to lean code. So I moved the 02 bungs up closer to the flange, which would be tough for a stock muffler. The reason being is there is a heat shield that will need to be cut away to weld the bung in. So I removed the entire muffler and replaced the old 2" tube with 2 1/2", and put the 02 bungs at the top of the curve before the tube bends down to the muffler. While I was at it, I also removed the inner cat as well. (Carnewal Mod) I purchased the Durametric cable and cleared all codes. The car sounds great and no MIL/check engine has come on. So the scrubbers work! If you purchase these headers and do not want the check engine light I would highly recommend using these scrubbers from Speedtech. If you keep your stock muffler just remember that some slight cutting of the heat shield will need to take place to move the 02 scrubber bungs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

here is the difference between the stock and EPL. You can see that there is only one bung for the primary 02's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Passanger side 02 location with speedtechs "mini cats"

Drivers sides

I went with a bolt in tip instead of the clamp on.

This is where you cut to remove the second cat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that everything is tight and works great, I am going to remove it all again and have the entire system ceramic coated. Header to tip!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Post a sound clip please!!! I want to know how it sounds with the Carnewal mod and the catless header. I am going to do my own Carnewal mod along with my own "dream" tip and larger diamter pipes leading up to the mufflers like the Cayman R. I was wondering what it would sound like if I added catless headers later down the road.

Nice work btw!:cheers:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I can get with Lemon he has a clean recording device that would work perfect for this. I will do my best to get a video.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone bought them recently? I would really like to add a set

·
Registered
55 Posts
im interested in a soundclip as well.
got the carnewal mod done and if the epl headers don't add too much noise i may be interested in going down that route.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts