Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a 2006 Cayman S with 88,000 miles. I went through a PPI and bore inspection and everything passed. Driving it now for three weeks and oil indicator was at the lowest level. Added half a quart of oil next day after driving 20 miles it was back to low level. Added another half a quart and it is now full. Doesn't anyone else have erratic oil measurements or what could be the source of the problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recommend downloading the free document from LN Engineering titled "Correctly setting engine oil level (1997-08 Porsche Boxster, Cayman and 911)".

-RobT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
In my limited experience the oil level sensor is a persnickety little dude. Park on a slight upward incline, it reads low, park on a slight downward incline, it reads overfilled. Even parking in the same area on my gravel driveway it can give slightly different readings (one bar on the readout) depending on exactly where the tires are in relation to the high/low spots, which direction the car is pointing, and whether it's raining in Kinshasha on that day.

@RobT thanks - that's a handy tip.

·
Registered
872 Posts
In my limited experience the oil level sensor is a persnickety little dude. Park on a slight upward incline, it reads low, park on a slight downward incline, it reads overfilled. Even parking in the same area on my gravel driveway it can give slightly different readings (one bar on the readout) depending on exactly where the tires are in relation to the high/low spots, which direction the car is pointing, and whether it's raining in Kinshasha on that day.

Yes, if you want reliable readings you have to park it in the exact same spot every time you check it. When I first got mine I backed in one night and the next day it was real low. I was freaked out. Now I never back in, makes my car burn oil.;)

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
73 Posts
As long as it's between the high & low indicators, you're OK. I carry an extra quart bottle of Mobil-1 in the trunk, as well as a quart of distilled water for the cooling system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts