Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I picked up a 2006 Cayman S, manual transmission, in January and it has been sitting since I picked it up, until recently, the weather in MN can't make up its mind. One of the issues that I knew was present when I purchased the car was the error code P0431. From what I have read this could mean catalytic converter, O2 sensor, or an exhaust leak. I have also read that this could actually be an error from the factory requiring a tune and a replacement of the cat. My question to you everyone out there is, what are my chances of still having this happen? I have read that the warranty on emissions is 8 years and 80,000 miles, however my car is a 2006 with 84xxx miles on it. Does anyone think Porsche will still replace it?

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Hello all,
I picked up a 2006 Cayman S, manual transmission, in January and it has been sitting since I picked it up, until recently, the weather in MN can't make up its mind. One of the issues that I knew was present when I purchased the car was the error code P0431. From what I have read this could mean catalytic converter, O2 sensor, or an exhaust leak. I have also read that this could actually be an error from the factory requiring a tune and a replacement of the cat. My question to you everyone out there is, what are my chances of still having this happen? I have read that the warranty on emissions is 8 years and 80,000 miles, however my car is a 2006 with 84xxx miles on it. Does anyone think Porsche will still replace it?
Well you appear to be over 8 years and over 80,000 miles so I don't think they have to replace it under warranty, although they could as a courtesy if you have a good relationship with your dealer. Hard to say whether it is a faulty O2 sensor or the original cat and programming causing the issue. There are aftermarket tunes that disable the second o2 reading and prevent these codes from happening so depending upon what your dealer would want to replace cats and program your ECU with an update you might be better off getting an aftermarket tune unless you have a primary O2 sensor failure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well you appear to be over 8 years and over 80,000 miles so I don't think they have to replace it under warranty, although they could as a courtesy if you have a good relationship with your dealer. Hard to say whether it is a faulty O2 sensor or the original cat and programming causing the issue. There are aftermarket tunes that disable the second o2 reading and prevent these codes from happening so depending upon what your dealer would want to replace cats and program your ECU with an update you might be better off getting an aftermarket tune unless you have a primary O2 sensor failure.

Can you suggest tunes that are available?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
well the O2 sensor are about 7 years then go bye bye.. you usually change the before (four wire , black) and the rear , after the cat. (blue wire , 6 pin connector).. about 220 fronts and 250 rears... for the bosch (not exact numbers ) . about 1 hour of labor time..

Lemon

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Hello all,
Most of the early failures that required ECU tuning within 10,000 miles of new were replaced under warranty. It was a bad batch of cats. If it is the catalytic converter they should be replaced in sets. You may want to consider a set of aftermarket headers it would cost less than new factory headers.

Cman21

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Can you suggest tunes that are available?
I haven't kept track of which tuner's tunes will shut off the secondary O2 sensors and prevent this. I know that Softronic works this way because that's what I have on my car, but I'm pretty sure other tuners can do this as well, you just need to ask them and see if they do or not. I "think" FVD and BGB also do, but I couldn't swear to it since I don't have their tunes in my car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had that code pop up after replacing my exhaust with after market cat-back exhaust. After doing a softronic tune, I no longer see that code.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had that code pop up after replacing my exhaust with after market cat-back exhaust. After doing a softronic tune, I no longer see that code.
I had a CEL come on last week and it mysteriously disappeared. Forget the code it generated but it was the secondary O2 sensor problem code. but like I said, it disappeared.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts