Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this forum five times a day since the 981 rollout on June 27th 2012, I'm finally going to post a topic. First, thanks to everyone for all of their commentary as it has helped me immensely in my decision making. A special shout out to Mike R for the advice on the smoking package, PSE, stelvio pass etc.

I am in the early stages of price negotiation for a European delivery. I am well versed on the program and typical MSRP rebates just from reading P9. (e.g. $3000 dealer cost, extra allocation for dealer, VAT, PCNA press release etc) However, I am getting push back from three dealers who I am working with that the MSRP discount for the European program is much less. I recall another comment about this in a previous thread. PCNA says there is no cost to the customer however, the dealer’s response is while this is true, we just can’t give you the same discount off of MSRP. This effectively passes the cost of the European delivery program on to me.

Quotes from dealers:
Dealer 1: “While 5% off a Boxster is a fair deal for both the customer and the dealer, European delivery is a bit different, 2.5% off would be right at the best deal for purchase”
Dealer 2 : “Just got out of my Managers office and he stated he would still give you 2% off of the total price that European delivery adds $3000 to our bottom line so you would in essence be getting a 6% discount on the car.”

Any thoughts, advice or experience that anyone has with this topic will be useful for my negotiation strategy moving forward.

Mark

P.S. I will work on my avatar and build specs in the signature line soon.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
After reading this forum five times a day since the 981 rollout on June 27th 2012, I'm finally going to post a topic. First, thanks to everyone for all of their commentary as it has helped me immensely in my decision making. A special shout out to Mike R for the advice on the smoking package, PSE, stelvio pass etc.

I am in the early stages of price negotiation for a European delivery. I am well versed on the program and typical MSRP rebates just from reading P9. (e.g. $3000 dealer cost, extra allocation for dealer, VAT, PCNA press release etc) However, I am getting push back from three dealers who I am working with that the MSRP discount for the European program is much less. I recall another comment about this in a previous thread. PCNA says there is no cost to the customer however, the dealer’s response is while this is true, we just can’t give you the same discount off of MSRP. This effectively passes the cost of the European delivery program on to me.

Quotes from dealers:
Dealer 1: “While 5% off a Boxster is a fair deal for both the customer and the dealer, European delivery is a bit different, 2.5% off would be right at the best deal for purchase”
Dealer 2 : “Just got out of my Managers office and he stated he would still give you 2% off of the total price that European delivery adds $3000 to our bottom line so you would in essence be getting a 6% discount on the car.”

Any thoughts, advice or experience that anyone has with this topic will be useful for my negotiation strategy moving forward.

Mark

P.S. I will work on my avatar and build specs in the signature line soon.

Congrats! And I fear that's the story that they tell everyone. You could ask PCNA what the expected rules are, but given that the vendors are independent, I assume they have flexibilities around what they can "exclude" from the rebate. However note that the $3000 cost for the dealer gets them also an additional car to sell, which will provide more profit. They will have to wait a bit so there is a bit of time loss, but maybe you can use that during negotiation.

·
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to give an update on where this landed. I ended up getting 5% off of MSRP on a $79k build. It was not easy. Considering that the dealer has to absorb the cost of the $3000 European delivery cost, the discount was effectively 8.8%. :banana:

I live in a area with multiple dealers within a couple hours drive which is a big advantage. Negotiations were done via email and phone calls. I felt a little guilty about sharing emails between SAs but with this kind of money involved, it was all business for me. Ultimately, the highest volume dealer in the region gave me my price target.

Since European delivery has the option to deliver the vehicle to any Porsche dealer in the US, I considered having the car delivered to the dealer right around the corner from me (they were only at 3%)....but that would just be salt in the wound.

Also of note was that the reimburseable Value Added Tax (VAT) for European delivery is no longer required. Therefore, I didn't need to float $14k for 3-4 months.

·
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you mind giving the name of the dealer you bought your car?
Thanks
Sent you a PM. Porsche of the Mainline and Erik Neihof was my SA. I had a very positive experience with him and the dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wanted to give an update on where this landed. I ended up getting 5% off of MSRP on a $79k build. It was not easy. Considering that the dealer has to absorb the cost of the $3000 European delivery cost
I would assume that if I ordered one with very few options that it would be even harder to get a substantial discount. Do you also think that would be the case? I prefer to install aftermarket options such as a sound system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts