Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a deposit for a GT4 at a Porsche dealer in So. Cal. Told them I wanted to do European Delivery however they told me it was not possible for a GT4 and not a good idea because the roads will beat up the car? Wants to hear your thoughts on if European Delivery has been possible for GT cars and any issues with excessive road debris chipping the bumper/windshield. Saw a post stating European Delivery doesn't come out the dealer allocations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Seems odd to me, I'd say that on the average ,german roads are better than US roads. I'd talk to PCNA to see if the dealer is blowing smoke.
The dealer has to cover a 3k charge for European delivery and do some 'additional paperwork' they may be trying to get out of doing this.

Go to the rennlist GT3 forum 991 GT3 - Rennlist Discussion Forums

to see if any body has done european delivery on the GT3.

Hey guys,

I have a deposit for a GT4 at a Porsche dealer in So. Cal. Told them I wanted to do European Delivery however they told me it was not possible for a GT4 and not a good idea because the roads will beat up the car? Wants to hear your thoughts on if European Delivery has been possible for GT cars and any issues with excessive road debris chipping the bumper/windshield. Saw a post stating European Delivery doesn't come out the dealer allocations?

Thanks!

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
You can do a ED with a GT car. Heck, you could have done it with a 918. It is also listed as an option on the configurator for a GT4. Dealers are probably trying to discourage you because they will lose money especially on the GT4. Since they will get MSRP regardless, they will lose 3,000 on the the car to pay for the ED. This should be fine for them since they should get another allocation to compensate them.

Agree with the comment about the roads. Yes, they are better in Germany - much better.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That seems like an odd thing for a dealer to say, especially since a European Delivery car doesn't come out of their allocation. For a low volume/high demand car like the GT4, dealers should be salivating to get you into an ED option, because they'd get another GT4 to sell to someone else.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sonnen also told me a European Delivery GTS comes out of their allocation as well. Either they're blowing smoke, or the whole ED doesn't come out of a dealer's allocation thing isn't totally correct.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
I think normally they get an allocation, but not necessarily of the same type of car. So they could get a Macan. Not sure if there are special rules for the GT cars. Asking PCNA may be a good idea. And most roads I drove during my last trips to Europe are better than the potholed stretches of asphalts that are called highways here...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I met a gentleman in Leipzig who picked up his GT3 and I don't recall him saying he had to do anything special to request ED. It is funny I saw his car back in Stuttgart a week later when I did the factory tour.

My experience after travelling over 3400km (2125 miles) duirng my Ed is that their roads are in great shape including the B roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
their roads are in great shape including the B roads.
I thought the B roads were the Best roads.
Ordering now would mean a spring or summer delivery, so no problem with the weather.
I would not hesitate for a second.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Since they will get MSRP regardless, they will lose 3,000 on the the car to pay for the ED.
Now I understand why there is no ED with Porsche Korea. Those cheapskates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
Pretty sure they get a GTS allocation to replace the GT4. Someone said it above - Euro delivery is $3k out of their pocket. Why take the hit when they can sell as many as they can get? My local dealer won't do Euro delivery on the car.
Don't know why they hit the dealer up for 3k though…2 weeks of insurance and one nights hotel ain't going to run that. I know it's apples to oranges, but BMW gives you 1/2 airfare, hotel, insurance and around 7% off….

·
Registered
229 Posts
Pretty sure they get a GTS allocation to replace the GT4. Someone said it above - Euro delivery is $3k out of their pocket. Why take the hit when they can sell as many as they can get? My local dealer won't do Euro delivery on the car.
Don't know why they hit the dealer up for 3k though…2 weeks of insurance and one nights hotel ain't going to run that. I know it's apples to oranges, but BMW gives you 1/2 airfare, hotel, insurance and around 7% off….
Just checked BMW doesn't provide 1/2 airfare or hotel. I copied the info below from the BMW site.

Learn more about each step of the journey you'll take:

Step 1
Order your BMW, andsave

Step 2
Plan your trip

Step 3
Pick up your vehicleat BMW Welt

Step 4
Drive through Europe

Step 5
Meet your vehicleback home

Enjoy all of that plus an added financial benefit of costingless than traditional delivery.

European Delivery price includes:
•Complimentaryshuttle service from the Munich Airport to the BMW Welt or downtown MunichHotel

•14 days of complimentary European road insurance andregistration

•Complimentary factory tour and museum visit

•European inland transportation from the drop-off point tothe nearest port

•Marine insurance

•Customs duty and clearance

•U.S. port processing and accessory installation

•Wharf and handling fees

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer won't do ED either because of the cost to the dealership and the demand for the car. There are just too many people lined up to buy one and since they (the dealership) aren't selling over retail they aren't going to eat 3k either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
European Delivery hasn't been ruled out for me (I'm particularly keen on the Leipzig option). My concerns are two-fold: Breaking in the engine properly (given the natural propensity to use the Autobahn and b-roads in the manner to which they were built) and paint damage. With regards to the latter, my intention would be to wrap the front end (and various other parts) in clear film. I suppose there are places that could do it there before I started my road trip. Anyone have any experience in one of both of these matters?

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
European Delivery hasn't been ruled out for me (I'm particularly keen on the Leipzig option). My concerns are two-fold: Breaking in the engine properly (given the natural propensity to use the Autobahn and b-roads in the manner to which they were built) and paint damage. With regards to the latter, my intention would be to wrap the front end (and various other parts) in clear film. I suppose there are places that could do it there before I started my road trip. Anyone have any experience in one of both of these matters?
Someone on here (crgkart? jengen?) did get a wrap I think. There is a place near the factory in Stuttgart. Not sure about Leipzig. However I don't know what they use and how the warranty will work.

My car came back well from the trip (others were not so lucky), and got all it's paint chips afterwards :).

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can do a ED with a GT car. Heck, you could have done it with a 918. It is also listed as an option on the configurator for a GT4. Dealers are probably trying to discourage you because they will lose money especially on the GT4. Since they will get MSRP regardless, they will lose 3,000 on the the car to pay for the ED. This should be fine for them since they should get another allocation to compensate them.

Agree with the comment about the roads. Yes, they are better in Germany - much better.
My understanding is they don't get another allocation for GTs. Not sure if BS because dealer didn't want me to ED.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
The rumor I heard is that they will, but it won't be another GT4. Take that with a grain of salt.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts