Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finalized my build for a base 2015 Boxster MT, (after trading in my 991S), and now have a decision to make. I am hoping that this thread may bring some new insights to my dilemma.

I can go with normal delivery and get the vehicle here in Canada by the end of April. I also have an early July European Delivery booked which would likely see the vehicle arrive in Canada by the beginning of September. I am planning on touring Europe for 2 or 3 weeks and can either rent a standard sedan, (for example a VW Golf), and get the Boxster delivered here in April or do the ED and drive the Boxster for 16 days in Europe and get it 4 months later in September. The question is it worth giving up 4 months of good summer driving weather for the 2 weeks with the Boxster in Europe. I am planning on doing the Black Forest, Swiss Passes, south of France and Provence as well as a bit more of Germany. I am hoping those who have done the European Delivery will weigh in on this.

Any thoughts on the Pros or Cons? I appreciate the help!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have finalized my build for a base 2015 Boxster MT, (after trading in my 991S), and now have a decision to make. I am hoping that this thread may bring some new insights to my dilemma.

I can go with normal delivery and get the vehicle here in Canada by the end of April. I also have an early July European Delivery booked which would likely see the vehicle arrive in Canada by the beginning of September. I am planning on touring Europe for 2 or 3 weeks and can either rent a standard sedan, (for example a VW Golf), and get the Boxster delivered here in April or do the ED and drive the Boxster for 16 days in Europe and get it 4 months later in September. The question is it worth giving up 4 months of good summer driving weather for the 2 weeks with the Boxster in Europe. I am planning on doing the Black Forest, Swiss Passes, south of France and Provence as well as a bit more of Germany. I am hoping those who have done the European Delivery will weigh in on this.

Absolutely do the European delivery. Its a lifetime event and worth the money and the wait. Take a look at 'subshooters' videos to get a flavor of it.
'Subshooters' video : My European Delivery experience:

·
Registered
845 Posts
I did it in my bimmer, back in 2011. Drove 2600 miles in 8 days visiting 4 countries. Had a blast.

Not doing it with my porsche order, as there is no discount and harder to manage with 2 toddlers in the family now...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did Euro delivery a few years back on a BMW... great experience. Nothing like driving as fast as you want on the Autobahn.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your responses.

I will do the exact same route but be driving a Golf rather than the Boxster. In return I'll get a discount on the car and get to use it for almost 4 months this summer. Same route just a different car and no worries about dings on the new Porsche in Europe.

I think it would be very nice to be able to drive at Porsche speeds on the Autobahn and put the top down when warranted but I don't know if its worth getting the car in the fall rather than the spring!

·
Revhead
366 Posts
If I was buying new, and had the time and extra cash to do European Delivery, I wouldn't think twice about it.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Of course I would recommend the European Delivery. :) It was awesome and memories to last a life time.

Mine only took 28 days from drop off in Stuttgart to in my hands again at the dealership. (Pennsylvania, dealership)

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
I'm going to be the odd man out. I would have my car delivered to me at home and I would get a rental to drive in Europe. A European delivery has always been high on my bucket list. I give a BIG thumbs up to those of you who have done it. But when it comes down to actually doing it myself I always opt out. There are just too many things that I would worry about - parking, pushing my new car on the autobahn, leaving my car for it to be delivered later, etc. I would get a rental. That's just me.

Actually, I would rent a BMW motorcycle. ;)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Is there a single member here who's actually done an ED and regretted it? :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
I did it last August in my CGTS and it was trip of a lifetime. Put close to 3400km in two weeks touring Austria, Northern Italy, Switzerland and Germany. I had a chance to visit Grossglockner, Stelvio, Davos, Furka, Grimsel as well as Nurburgring in my own car. My 2 weeks of driving in Europe beats driving at home for 3-4 months. Plus where can you try out the true potential of your Boxster in Nova Scotia without risk of losing your license? I know I can't in Calgary.

Is you Europe Delivery scheduled in Stuttgart or Leipzig?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey everyone, I really appreciate all of the great replies.

I am positive that I would have no regrets with the European Delivery! It's just would it be good enough to offset 4 months of summer use? Crgkart points out that to him it was more than worth driving at home for 3 to 4 months and also that we can't enjoy the car as much here in Nova Scotia due to the speed limits and diligence of the folks in red serge. That's why I am trading in my 991 CS!

Leaning now toward European Delivery and it is booked for early July in Stuttgart.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Leaning now toward European Delivery and it is booked for early July in Stuttgart.
I was lucky enough to be able to pick up my car at Leipzig (Thanks Jamie). The 45 minutes on track experience is second to none and Axel (the instructor) taught me how to drift using their CGTS.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey everyone, I really appreciate all of the great replies.

I am positive that I would have no regrets with the European Delivery! It's just would it be good enough to offset 4 months of summer use? Crgkart points out that to him it was more than worth driving at home for 3 to 4 months and also that we can't enjoy the car as much here in Nova Scotia due to the speed limits and diligence of the folks in red serge. That's why I am trading in my 991 CS!

nsblue,

Right choice. ED 1st. 3 weeks of June last year...waited until all Alpine passes were open (June 1 for some). Thru the Alps via Dolomites ,Stelvio pass , Grossglockner High Alpine Road & other passes down to Sienna in Tuscany (side trip to Ferrari museum in Maranello) & back to Stuttgart via Lake Como & Switzerland (3400 km.)

Dropped car off @ factory June 19 & arrived @ dealership in Toronto August 19. I suspect that I just missed the boat leaving from Emden to Halifax & had to wait for the next one.

You won't be disappointed...truly the trip of a lifetime. Another item checked off the bucket list.

Oh, only one major downside after driving on European roads with disciplined drivers...impossible to get too excited 'bout any 'scenic' drives in North America ( I'm including the Rockies, Cabot trail etc.....nothing compares!):)

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Mercedes has the best European delivery program of all the German brands. I stayed at 5 star hotels the entire week on a Motel 6 budget. Free business class upgrade or free economy ticket, so much perks. It's just too bad Mercedes doesn't make any cars that excite me. I had a great time doing European delivery. Wished Porsche would give the same type of discounts and perks Mercedes does.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'd love to do European delivery, when we inquired about it this time, it would have delayed the build somewhat. We'd just negotiated up to a July build from September so didn't want to lose that.

Next time we'll plan in advance, order well ahead of time for European delivery at our leisure. It should be possible to get the car broken in and onto somewhere like Monza, Spa or Silverstone in the few weeks available. We can take in the Nurburgring on the way back.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
You have a really tough dilemma!

If the question was ED or nothing at all - then it's easy - do ED.

But if you are going to be in Europe anyway. Hmm. Driving Boxster through those roads is priceless. But so is 4 months of best driving weather here. October is practically winter in Canada.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think there's another option you could look at. There are motoring themed 'driver vacations' where you go to Europe and have a Porsche or Ferrari waiting for you along with some tour guides. They often talk about being very flexible and offering essentially infinite custom packages. Since it sounds like you already have an agenda planned you might reach out to them an see what renting a Porsche would cost as your flights and hotel are probably already set.

That might be a have-your-cake-and-eat-it too option.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm going against popular opinion and telling you to not do an European delivery. Unlike the US who receives a discount of 7-8% for choosing European delivery, Canadians gets nothing. No discount. For most people, that discount helps cover the cost of the trip which is a huge added benefit.

The other reason is due to to Porsche's rigid break in period which is 2000 miles. What is the point of taking it the car at awesome stretches of roads, only to keep the RPM's varied at below 4000 rpm? The car doesn't even come into life until after you break in the car, the exhaust opens up a lot more on the base model as you drive it. So you really aren't capturing the full experience.

I think every Porsche enthusiast's dream car is a 911. I want to reserve that once in a life time European Delivery for that car. Don't get me wrong, I also got a Base Boxster on order. But we all hope to move up the Porsche ladder eventually, and I think if you're going to Euro Delivery once in your life, you should save it for the 911.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I'm going against popular opinion and telling you to not do an European delivery. Unlike the US who receives a discount of 7-8% for choosing European delivery, Canadians gets nothing. No discount. For most people, that discount helps cover the cost of the trip which is a huge added benefit.

There is no discount for European delivery for US buyers. On the contrary, it is even more difficult to negotiate a normal discount because the dealer has to pay $3,000 when a buyer selects this option (albeit they get another allocation for their trouble)

The other reason is due to to Porsche's rigid break in period which is 2000 miles. What is the point of taking it the car at awesome stretches of roads, only to keep the RPM's varied at below 4000 rpm? The car doesn't even come into life until after you break in the car, the exhaust opens up a lot more on the base model as you drive it. So you really aren't capturing the full experience.
Not to get into another Break-in discussion, but I did not limit my car to 4000 rpm. I limited it to 7800 rpm for short periods of time racing around the Alps. It's no issue (just don't build up heat in the engine during break-in). I have had no oil usage and no detectable metal fragments in my oi filter after first change.

I think every Porsche enthusiast's dream car is a 911. I want to reserve that once in a life time European Delivery for that car. Don't get me wrong, I also got a Base Boxster on order. But we all hope to move up the Porsche ladder eventually, and I think if you're going to Euro Delivery once in your life, you should save it for the 911.
A bold statement...especially in this forum. :cheers: I think I found my dream car. That said, I am going to do another ED trip in a 911. ;)

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Actually, 4200 RPM limit is only for America and Canada. In Europe it's okay to rev your car from the start! Seriously. European manuals don't specify any specific number for break-in procedure. And since European Delivery happens, umh, in Europe. One should go with European instructions!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts