Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On shelves now.. February addition of the EuroTuner magazine features the EuroTuner GP and a nicely tuned Cayman S Turbo.

The cayman Did better then expected against cars with double the HP. We spent 2 days tuning both caymans ( FrankinCayman and notquitefob's ) at BBI Autosports. They where excellent hosts to our tuning and where Very helpful in every way.
We decided to go with the Frankin-Cayman car for the event as it's suspension was tuned better and allowed us more of a chance at winning.

When we arrived at the dyno, we where a little put back by what we saw. Cars where being loaded and unloaded from trailers. Mike being the ultimate competitor, told us not to worry about the others but to focus on playing our game.

We did our first run which put us about 50 HP less the expected!

When we where at BBI we installed the boost controller in under half an hour with 4 experts working on the car.. Well we missed a wire on the solenoid. Opps. We put this on and the HP jumped up to where we expected them to be.. We tried a different plenum on the car during the dyno, but found that the original TPC version produced more HP.

----- SPOILERS -------

On the Dyno we ended up in 5th with 422.39 WHP with 100 octane fuel.

the GTpro guys where very supportive. 3 cars at this point did not even make it to the event, so this gave us a lot more time on the dyno to play around with the tuning, as we where the last car of the day.

That night we changed out the tires on the rims and put the HRE's back on FrankinCayman and left up to ButtonWillow..

On Drag Day, Mike from TPC was driving the car and team lead.

We started out with our tires at 26psi and we where using the dirty left side of the dragstrip. Everyone one else was choosing the cleaner looking side, but actually it was worn off rubber and was more slick :)

we put down better and better times trying different techniques with the shifting. The Frannkincayman has a light flywheel in it with a stock shifter clutch. We did not want to damage the clutch and actually we found the best 60 foot times where coming from a slow clutch let out, then dropping the clutch.

We did our best run when we where going sde by side against the 571 HP BMW M3. We won this side by side by getting a better start. tires where at 20psi put us in 3rd overall with a 12.442. I guess mike needed a little competition to get him to move faster!

During the drives back to the start on the back side of the track, Mike was able to determine what was needed in the car setup for the road course... So we ran off to do some last minute welding on the front suspension to make the car come alive....

We ended the day excited and ready to go for the next day.

Well unfortunately, our team split up and Not2Fob had to go home to work, and Mike had to leave to go home to an event on the other side of the country.

That was ok, because he made up with it by sending us a real Pro... Craig Stanton. Craig is a real pro, that is driving something 250 days a year. He really looked forward to getting behind the wheel of a Cayman, prior to his drive this year in he Grand Am Cayman!

We started out with a 2 hour test session on the full course at Buttonwillow.

I was the tire man, and Craig the lead and driver. He went out in the car and drove 4 laps and I called him in because the car was Smoking A lot. When he pulled in the whole rear of the car was covered in oil. OUC, so we took it over to the track shop and sprayed off all the oil and started to work to see that was happening. On the TPC turbo the VOS exits to a tube with a baffle on the bottom of the car. All of the oil was coming out of the baffle. We determined that the membrane in the VOS must have failed due to Craig's aggressive driving style and was allowing about a quart of oil to shoot out per every 4 laps! So we topped it off and and went back out again, same thing happened but oil levels looked good. It was a sight seeing the car come around the last corner onto the front straight, seeing the smoke coming off the back of the car, and then the 2 fold issues of the oil pushing one side and cavitation and a poof of white smoke coming out on top of the general smoke we had!!!

We decided the best tire PSI for the car was 32psi on the Contisport 3 tires.

We put in another quart and I went out for a ride with Craiige. WOW what a huge difference in lines between him and I. I would say that I am a good 15 seconds slower then him.. An example, going into the ssessess. most cars all the other cars would come around the corner and get the apex at the end of the long right hander. and then go into the ssessess. Well the way Craig did it was to enter the right hander at a high rate of speed, apex in the middle of the turn, then he would keep the gas on to keep the boost up on the turbo and he would tap the brake to get the car to do a 4 wheel side. when the car was lined up straight into the ssesses he would let up on the brakes and the car would shoot straight through the ssessess, at about 20 MPH faster then everyone else. Was just amazing

Another issue, on the PSS9's the car was bottoming out the shocks at the end of the bus stop and another bump as well.

Mike was on the phone with us every 20 minutes or so passing us orders as we went along..

After this we where paired up with another car on the track with a 20 minute timed lap run. We did not want to kill the car, so we topped off the oil again, cleaned off the car and went for it.

5 laps - the last lap we did a 200.927, with put us in 2nd place, only surpassed by a Audi A4 100% race prepped car.

The Audi ended up blowing something in his session with killed his car. Also the super charged Mini blew a header as well.

Overall we had a Great time, and pulled off something none of the other teams did. We drove our car from San Francisco to Los Angeles, did multiple days of tuning, dynos, drag racing, and road course, and I got back into the car and drove it back to San Francisco. :thanks: Porsche!

---------------------------

First I want to thank Cayman Club for all of the support with the car. Without this knowledge and articles from the users here, we would not have had a car that would be able to compete in this challenge.

Also Great praise goes out to Mike and the TCP team for all the support in this. You guys are Great!

Craig Stanton, We ALL look forward to seeing you take a Cayman to a Grand Am win, you Rock!

EuroTuner, BBI Autosports, GT Pro.. Thank you all, we all appreciate your generosity, maybe we can do it again next year!

notquitefob.... Lets do it again!

We are fixing all of the issues with the car, 150 LBS more spring in the front 100 in the rear, Porsche Motorsports VOS, and X51 Oil pan with catch reserve. ( BTW, I cold not repeat any of the above issues with my driving ability, no oil problems, and no bottoming out, just goes to show what a pro driving the car can do, they show you all the little faults that can happen... ) ( If I could drive like him :)....

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Yeah if you aren't getting smoke on the track with the factory VOS you just aren't driving hard/fast enough! ;) Mike should know better than to compete without the Motorsport one, we've been over that many times on the phone and even in person. :) I wish I could have made it out, sounds like a blast. Maybe I missed it, but what place did the Cayman come in overall? Sounds like 2nd on track vs. a race prepped car and decently on the drag strip, what other tests were there and what were the final rankings? Did they take cost into account? A built up M3 had to cost more than your Cayman with its mods. Thanks for the props to the site, but on a sadder note Betim at BBI chose not to renew his sponsorship last month, something about not enough Cayman work, perhaps that will change in the future and he will come back.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Hmm, a turbo Cayman doing only 12.44 seconds?
Sounds like plenty of room for improvement here.

12.6 here and no turbo.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I will get a PDF of the article on the 19th.

Good write up David.

We have had clients do faster quarter miles... The continental tires we were running on weren't that great and running with/o a "burn out" go get any stick likely made our run .5 seconds slower.

Casey

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Unimpressed by the Audi, watch their own video the Cayman pulls away in the S's until the Audi with 2X the HP hits the straights and can pull away. Yeah a gutted race car vs. a tuned street car and that's all the better they can manage? I'm sorry but for $200K I'm not impressed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so the tires on the Drag where the limiting factor. Plus it was cold and foggy and a little damp right before we did the drag. ( sun came out in the last 1/4th of it )

I Think we did great against the full prepped race car with the same weight as us and twice the HP! The tires where the equalizers... on the dyno, they where getting less HP they they expected ( blamed the dyno ) after a bunch of people looked it over, they determined that the tires where spinning on the rims! On the drag they have similar issues, the where spinning all 4 tires in all 4 gears down the strip! was interesting to see a smoke the tires at over 100 mph!

I agree, I was not driving it hard enough.. I really know what the car is capable of now. I think I have been driving it at about 70%, where craig said he was driving at 90%. He wanted to be sure I could drive it home after. I think if he drove the wheels off of it at 100% we could have won the road course portion.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
HAHHA K-man, your comments on the video on Youtube where deleted!

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
HAHHA K-man, your comments on the video on Youtube where deleted! ( sad, guess they do not like the truth to come out. )
See, they must have something to hide, like their car breaking down, etc. or else they wouldn't have deleted those commets, I didn't say anything there that I didn't also say here, in fact I said less because there is less space to do so.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
K-man - yep :-( They do have a lot to hide!

Casey, I sure have, and today I am in the garage putting in the TPC sways, Toa links, Drop links, Cross coilovers, Motorsports VOS, X51 oil pan, and a few more parts...... Oh yah, and as you know. this is the first car I have ever worked on as well!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fantastic job TPC - nice to see great driving and prep beat the big HP BMWs!!! Great to meet you all too - seems like a great crew!

We drove to and from the event from Utah with no special preparations - I agree that points should be given for streetabilty and the absence of a trailer! :)

Thanks again!

Eric Gustavson - Streamline Industries - SLC Utah

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Thanks Eric. We were proud to be part of it... Cayman Club people, please dont bash 034. They have a heck of a car and used a tremendous amount of talent to build it... I am an audi and vw owner and they are very good at what they do and have been now for a while. Please play nice.

Casey

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Thanks Eric. We were proud to be part of it... Cayman Club people, please dont bash 034. They have a heck of a car and used a tremendous amount of talent to build it... I am an audi and vw owner and they are very good at what they do and have been now for a while. Please play nice.

Casey
Casey,
I don't think anyone was "bashing" 034 but rather responding to what THEY put out on video which on the face appears to be very one-sided without giving all the facts and I stand by my statement that the Cayman clearly showed superiority in the corners on the track, simply a better platform, not a fault of 034, well other than choosing the wrong platform. :) I think we'd all like to see a competition with the participants on equal footing, this was far far from it and I'm disappointed that a magazine would stage a "shoot out" with this much disparity as it will likely lead to false conclusions by those who don't read the details, then again, that's par for a lot of magazines this day who are losing readers and trying to drum up support via sensationalistic articles, etc. Again, let me be clear, I'm not bashing 034 for their abilities, just disappointed in how the video portrayed the shoot-out and the lack of releasing all the facts.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,645 Posts
Read the article today. Fantastic showing against a fully prepped race machine!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did anyone gt this article to post up yet?

·
Registered
280 Posts
David,

Awesome write up. I'm still trying to find the darn magazine down here in San Diego. I think the one thing that sums it up, is that we were able to drive our cars from opposite ends of the state, meet, dyno, drag race, and then drive home without hiccups. Absolutely incredible.

A few things to add:

- the 034 Motorsport Audi was insane, but arrived on a trailer, and left on a trailer. I had my seat warmer on half the way down to San Diego before having dinner w/ Mike at El Torito and using my Navi to get him to the Holiday Inn next to the LA Airport... something I don't think the Audi could pull off. However, definitely don't mean to take anything away from it because it was a beast of a car. I'd love to see it up against the TPC 997TT = )

- After Mike put down the 12.44, the two S/C V8 M3s did like 30 more trips down the 1/4 before the 580rwhp one scraped up a faster time. Mike was able to split the pair, something no one thought was possible with a 100rwhp handicap. Mike didn't want to burn up David's clutch especially as a daily driver.... I think we did 8 runs, TOTAL!

- The 1/4 "drag strip" was essentially the mid straight at buttonwillow called the "drag strip." It wasn't really prepped for drag racing, nor were the Continental 3's up for the task. Traction was definitely a big problem for every car there. The best part was seeing Mike strap his laptop into the passenger seat before each run.

I haven't been on here in a while because of other obligations but did you ever get a chance to post pics/videos? I have a few drag videos and pictures of Mike welding your front sway bars hours before the street event. Let me dig thru the photos tonight and I'll post some here.

Oh, and for anyone that hasn't read it: Quick Spin: TPCRacing Cayman S Turbo picks up where Porsche left off — Autoblog (sorry if it's a repost!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts