Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago I let the wife take my boxster to work. I needed to use the Expedition to haul some stuff. Well just happens we hit the same stretch of interstate at the same time on the way home and I was behind her a few cars back. I had to go about 85 mph or so to catch her :), which is cool at least she is having fun. BUT as we got near the off ramp she hits the only pothole in the area...then at the bottom of the ramp after turning onto the road to our house she hits 2 more holes in the road.:eek: Now I am aggravated. Just got aligned 2 weeks ago. I know every hole in the road from my house to most of my frequent destinations. When I questioned her about it she had no clue she had hit the holes and that it mattered. :wall:

Ever follow someone driving your car and truly consider never letting them again?

·
On Probation
582 Posts
get it realigned and give her the bill.....then tell us what she tells you

·
Registered
101 Posts
Get it realigned and pocket the bill, you don't want to be in the doghouse.
I don't think avoidance is the best bet. Only producing the bill will usually register the situation properly in the cerebral cortex in these cases... it's worth the risk of 'temporary banishment', IMHO. If there is a chance for these types to learn at all, it's by indicating the cost of ignorance or carelessness.

Otherwise it will just keep going on...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Don't sweat the small stuff. A good marriage is far more valuable than any car or any material thing. No need to have our beloved come to us with news of a terminal illness before we see the light of day.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A few weeks ago I followed my wife and daughter in my truck with them in the Cayman--my 26 year old daughter at the wheel. I worried about the well being of my car and was glad to finally peel off northbound as they headed south for a mother/daughter shopping afternoon in SLC. But in the 5-6 miles I was lined up behind them my car sure did look and sound good.
BW

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also enjoyed visually riding behind the car. for some reason mine looks better than other Boxsters I see on the road. I love to look at my car almost as much as driving it. The mods(doesnt look same as in my avatar) I have done to it, simple as they are (deambered, new wider wheels, painted callipers, chrome exhaust tips) make it a unique boxster here in Birmingham.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't sweat the small stuff. A good marriage is far more valuable than any car or any material thing. No need to have our beloved come to us with news of a terminal illness before we see the light of day.
Granted, but what I'm talking about is simple education. Nothing demeaning, do it constructively. If it is not addressed, you can be sure said driver is clueless to these types of things driving this type of car, and not only can these be costly repairs, but can be dangerous road-hazards to avoid.

Like I said, oftentimes what registers with people when they see how costly it is, not to mention the potential hazards that the may have never considered....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Granted, but what I'm talking about is simple education. Nothing demeaning, do it constructively. If it is not addressed, you can be sure said driver is clueless to these types of things driving this type of car, and not only can these be costly repairs, but can be dangerous road-hazards to avoid.

Like I said, oftentimes what registers with people when they see how costly it is, not to mention the potential hazards that the may have never considered....
Did not mean to imply that a discussion or education as you put it, is wrong. In fact, as you point out, educating our partner about how a Cayman should best be driven can keep damage, and so disagreements from happening later on. It's just that if a car can motivate a degree of emotional attachment, and a 987 certainly can, then discussion around it can easily become a bit or a lot heated. I feel that discussions regarding how a cherished auto is driven may best be done by first clearly realizing and feeling that compared to a loving relationship, all the things we own are small things.

Expanding my painfully myopic view of life to more clearly see what is truly important and what is not, is something I have been working on. So, it shows up in my posts.

There is no desire to be preachy or condescending. Please accept my apologies if I foolishly come across that way.
:cheers:

·
On Probation
582 Posts
oh come on...let him give her the bill...i,m bettin she chases him and the car down the driveway with a golf club sayin discuss this

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey, if your SO tells you something like, "Please don't slide chairs across the hardwood floors rather lift them please." Or something like, "Please use a coaster when setting a glass on my lovely dining room table", chances are you will understand this. It's no different.

Sometimes people grump at their SOs because it is fun to do so, but they still get it. Like we might grump if we are asked to take off our shoes before walking across the new carpet, but that doesn't mean we don't get it. Any reasonably mature man or woman, even if they don't love cars, understands their spouse wanting to take good care of their new/expensive things.

All that said, potholes come up fast and not everyone seems to be aware enough to avoid them all. Just one of those things. A lot of people drive moment to moment, and most really don't look ahead very far at the road itself. Especially not if they are use to driving a beater or something with big wheels and a lot of isolation from the road. It's not that they are being malicious, but their brains simply haven't be so trained.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did not mean to imply that a discussion or education as you put it, is wrong. In fact, as you point out, educating our partner about how a Cayman should best be driven can keep damage, and so disagreements from happening later on. It's just that if a car can motivate a degree of emotional attachment, and a 987 certainly can, then discussion around it can easily become a bit or a lot heated. I feel that discussions regarding how a cherished auto is driven may best be done by first clearly realizing and feeling that compared to a loving relationship, all the things we own are small things.

Expanding my painfully myopic view of life to more clearly see what is truly important and what is not, is something I have been working on. So, it shows up in my posts.

There is no desire to be preachy or condescending. Please accept my apologies if I foolishly come across that way.
:cheers:
Not at all James and I think I understand exactly what you mean. There's a difference between having things, and things having YOU.
Furthermore, cars are just things that can be replaced... no matter how wonderful they might be.. Loved ones can't be replaced.
Cheers!

·
Registered
882 Posts
AMEN to that. Your wife and your relationship are much more important. Sometime later, I would discuss the subject in a very neutral way, with a lot of forethought. We all need to learn. But there are easy ways and hard ways to learn. I would choose a method that does not threaten the relationship. Since we all make mistakes and all need to learn. IMHO Ed

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would not hesitate to show her a bill if there was damage and I don't see any harm to a relationship in asking your love to drive more carefully both for the condition of the car and her own safety. Even if she was going slow at the time she could damage a tire that could later blow out at high speed with dangerous consequences for whomever is driving.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I would not hesitate to show her a bill if there was damage and I don't see any harm to a relationship in asking your love to drive more carefully both for the condition of the car and her own safety. Even if she was going slow at the time she could damage a tire that could later blow out at high speed with dangerous consequences for whomever is driving.
Well said!

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I would contrive a reason to ride as passenger with her driving. Maybe she's not hitting anything to hard. If she is, you could bring it up nicely! and explain about the tires, alignment, etc.

Keep in mind - I'm not married so this plan could go horribly wrong in real life!

·
Screeech!
53 Posts
When I first got my C4S my girlfriend and I drove my old car up to the dealership and then each piloted a car on the way back. About 30 mins into the return trip, we switched so she could try out the new car. ...well she just starts hauling a$$ and I mean right from the rest area, onto the expressway and I can't keep up. I'm calling and calling and calling her on the cell phone but no answer 'cause she's blasting the radio! Later, she said "the car just wants to go fast". Frankly, I was a little jealous she was able to indulge more easily than I was.

The best part was when we went through a toll booth, the toll attendant sticks his head out of the booth to check out the car's a$$ and then shakes his head and mouths "damn!". Very gratifying.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.