Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if the car's parts just happened to gel at 800 miles, or the PASM decided to loosen up and learn my driving style, or my Audi-butt finally acquiesced to the Cayman's firmer manners, but everything came together today. In a three-hour, spirited jaunt across the foothills of Colorado, all my preconceived notions about how the Cayman should handle were laid to rest, all concerns about accelerator pedals and other minor points were erased, and any second thoughts I had about my purchase were permanently snuffed out. I saw the light -- and it was good. The combined effect of the heavy steering feel, the taut suspension, the mid-engine chassis, and the sublimely operating PDK transmission was simply perfect! All I can say now is that I'm a fully assimilated Porschephile.

(Oh, BTW, I do love the push button-style shifters on the PDK steering wheel. I don't care what anyone says.)

-Redbear

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Your good news gets even better, when the car in properly run-in with more driving experience you'll love it even more. I have 3700km on my CS and it's coming alive!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I thought the same thing. Right around 700mi for me everything loosened up. The engine was more free reving and I no longer felt the car wanted me to upshift at 2500rpm. Porsche must have something programed into the software to protect the car. I still waited until 2000mi as recommended for breakin though

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Really enjoyed you post. IMHO it takes about 10000 km
before a new car loosens up. Should be a lot of fun for you!:cheers:

·
Registered
417 Posts
just over 4K on my 2010 CS, MT, and love it. The car does come alive at high rev.
:thanks:

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Redbear,
Thanks for the positive PDK feedback. I have been a little bit anxious about my PDK choice. Glad you are loving your car!

·
Registered
444 Posts
6500km on my '10 and the thing loves to screaaaaaaaam above 5k RPM.
I am still breaking in my new 09 CS and have 1600 miles on it so soon I will finally know what it feels like when it comes alive! I have been having as much fun as can be had while following the break-in guidelines. My dealer told me there is no break-in and to drive it like I stole it but since I want to keep it for a long time I am driving like I stole it and the redline was at 4200 rpm!

After about 1000 miles I did notice the car felt better was asking to be reved! Another 2-3 weeks and she will get what she wants.....lol

·
Registered
417 Posts
. My dealer told me there is no break-in and to drive it like I stole it but since I want to keep it for a long time I am driving like I stole it and the redline was at 4200 rpm!

After about 1000 miles I did notice the car felt better was asking to be reved! Another 2-3 weeks and she will get what she wants.....lol
My dealer too told me there is no break-in period; I did not listen to him. I did follow the manual which does not state explicitly any rmp; only general guidlelines and common-sense.
Enjoy the car.
:thanks:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have almost 26,000 miles on my 2006 CS, and just last year it felt like it loosened up even a bit more, although that could be my imagination. As you know, when the CS was first introduced, Road & Track and a few other mags clocked it as fast as 4.8 seconds 0-60mph. I remember a few years back, one magazine road tested a brand new Carrera S, and then tested it again a year later, and it was actually .5 seconds faster 0-60. They concluded that it was due to the engine loosening up. I am curious if anyone with a G meter has found that their CS has gotten measurably faster after a few thousand miles?

I know that now days, 4.8 seconds is considered moderately quick. I am 55 years old, and when I was a teenager, the fastest road cars were the Ferrari Daytona and Lamborghini Muira. At that time, a 6 second 0-60 was considered blindingly fast. We considered the Daytona and Muira to be amazingly fast, yet they could not muster 0-60 in under 5 seconds. When I was a young adult, the Porsche Turbo was capable of a 5 second 0-60 and I remember thinking how badly I wanted to own that car because it was so fast. Now I own a car that is that fast, and it is only regarded as moderately quick. My how things have changed!

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Glad to hear it all came together for you.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Porsche must have something programed into the software to protect the car.
jman, that's an interesting thought. I hadn't considered that there could be some stealth electronics working behind the scenes to assist the break-in process.

So far, I've been sticking to the break-in guidelines, but I know she's getting ready for the 2K milestone too.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Redbear...where are you located in CO?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Car does feel stronger as the miles stack up..

Have a friend with a 2009 Carerra PDK and when we both tested our cars (when I had 2000km only) He would gain on me at around 160km/h.... We tried again when I was at 4500km and I was ahead till top speed.

Trust me, we are finally faster than carrera's :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Car does feel stronger as the miles stack up..

Have a friend with a 2009 Carerra PDK and when we both tested our cars (when I had 2000km only) He would gain on me at around 160km/h.... We tried again when I was at 4500km and I was ahead till top speed.

Trust me, we are finally faster than carrera's :)
Great to hear! Makes me want to go out and put more miles on the car to finish the break-in and see how much it opens up with mileage!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been having the same feeling about my 08CS tip. I think the car gets better and better. 16,000 miles in 11months and I love the tiptronic and the car more and more. I feel like the car revs easier and sounds better.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I'm about to turn 1k, and I have noticed the experience to be better, but I don't think its much about the engine. I think it is more me learning how to drive it better, being smoother with the clutch and knowing how hard I need to push the throttle to get acceleration in the power window. I am just itching to let it go, but I'm gonna baby it a bit yet till i hit the 2k mark... shouldnt be long as I am driving it every chance I get. Taking it it for tint and such this week. Let's see what loaner they give me... Hoping not Cayenne.

Actually I wouldnt mind that. The girl likes SUVs as she is like 5'1" and hates being in a low car. Got to get her hooked to get a cayenne as her next car so I can always be in a Porsche.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts