Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully, this is not a duplicate (did a quick search first). The new EVO magazine (available in booksellers in the U.S.) has a fairly in depth compare between the Jag F Type S and Cayman S. There have been some prior threads about the F Type and Caymans so found this interesting with a bit more 'objectivity' behind the comments. For what it is worth..................

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps but as memory serves there are threads of folks cross shopping these cars. Not defending, just saying, there is some logic. Also, the Jag is upwards of 40-50 hp more and I think that some of the reasoning was that hp would offset weight re: acceleration. Agree that the weight is a detriment in cornering and, of course, that was noted in the review.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeah, I don't think it's crazy at all. The F-Type is one of the closest competitors the Cayman has.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Perhaps but as memory serves there are threads of folks cross shopping these cars. Not defending, just saying, there is some logic. Also, the Jag is upwards of 40-50 hp more and I think that some of the reasoning was that hp would offset weight re: acceleration. Agree that the weight is a detriment in cornering and, of course, that was noted in the review.
I heavily researched the F-type V6s and V8, Boxster S, and C7 as I felt them to be close competitors. I believe there are some car and driver articles comparing the three as well.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Crazy to compare the Cayman to something that weighs 400 pounds more...
I was sort of offended they elected to match the Cayman up against the "lesser" Jaguar, just the paltry, puny 380 bhp V6.
Whats with that? :) First the 981 gets "no respect" or the full engine treatment from the 911 cabal, now the car has to play JV against the Jag V6?

What is the world coming to?

FWIW, @ 3,816 lbs/380 bhp = 10.042 lbs/bhp (? roadster or convertible weight, coupe might be less, @ 1594 Kg - 3,500 lbs)) vs.
Cayman/Boxsters at @3,000 lbs/325 or 340bhp = 9.230 - 8.823

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I heavily researched the F-type V6s and V8, Boxster S, and C7 as I felt them to be close competitors. I believe there are some car and driver articles comparing the three as well.
Same here, F-type, C7 convertible, Boxster, and an 07-08 Aston Martin vantage roadster, all around the same price in the used market. Drove them all except the Aston Martin.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Same here, F-type, C7 convertible, Boxster, and an 07-08 Aston Martin vantage roadster, all around the same price in the used market. Drove them all except the Aston Martin.
That's quite interesting...I also considered the Vantage in those years and early Gran Turismos as they are close in price point to my Boxster S. I'm a huge fan of Ferrari and ultimately that's the dream, so I also entertained the 355 and early 360s. Ultimately, I awoke from my day dreams and came to my more practical conclusion for a DD.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That's quite interesting...I also considered the Vantage in those years and early Gran Turismos as they are close in price point to my Boxster S. I'm a huge fan of Ferrari and ultimately that's the dream, so I also entertained the 355 and early 360s. Ultimately, I awoke from my day dreams and came to my more practical conclusion for a DD.
F430 is the only Ferrari I might considered, the other two is too expensive to maintain. AM service is right between Ferrari and Porsche. At the end, I wanted something comfortable, reliable, and relatively new. AM interior is kinda outdated compared to the 981.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was sort of offended they elected to match the Cayman up against the "lesser" Jaguar, just the paltry, puny 380 bhp V6.
Whats with that? :) First the 981 gets "no respect" or the full engine treatment from the 911 cabal, now the car has to play JV against the Jag V6?

What is the world coming to?

FWIW, @ 3,816 lbs/380 bhp = 10.042 lbs/bhp (? roadster or convertible weight, coupe might be less, @ 1594 Kg - 3,500 lbs)) vs.
Cayman/Boxsters at @3,000 lbs/325 or 340bhp = 9.230 - 8.823
I think it makes sense though because they're closer in price. The V-8 starts at $100k. Just goes to show that the 981 is a bargain!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it would have been fun to see the GTS used as some suggest but what is more powerful, to me, is that the CS fared extremely well in just about all categories. And, because Jag had Porsche Cayman/Boxster in mind with the Type F (if memory serves correctly) then the comparo is of some value as input for those who are thinking about cross shopping the two.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Crazy to compare the Cayman to something that weighs 400 pounds more...
If you look at the 'as tested' weight, the difference is actually about 370 kg which is roughly 800 lbs(!) I tested the F-Type S and loved the way it looks but man it's a heavy thing.

Good read. The Cayman S just dominated that test.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts