Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the results of this comparison or can post the article? Evo Magazine ... March 2010.

·
Registered
143 Posts
They said spider had better steering and friendlier handling but in driving excitement ,looks and sound the Ferrari was in super car league. Evo said a 6 or 7 yr old 360 is still more desirable than a box spyder

·
Registered
882 Posts
They said spider had better steering and friendlier handling but in driving excitement ,looks and sound the Ferrari was in super car league. Evo said a 6 or 7 yr old 360 is still more desirable than a box spyder
While I agree on Ferrari looks and sound, I disagree on livability. Last year lots of Boxsters and Caymen drove thousands of miles to the PCA Parade in Colorado. Including all the stuff needed for over a week, plus car cleaning stuff. You can't do that in a Ferrari spider.

My wife and I packed our Cayman for a 3 week vacation and had room to spare for expected Parade purchases. THere are lots of places to store stuff in our wonderful cars. Like the helmet in its bag fits just right behind the head rest. THen drove 1400 miles from Virginia to Colorado comfortably. And we had to have a suit and dress packed as well. I just don't see doing that in a Ferrari spider.

I also disagree on dealer support. While we may gripe about this or that exceptional event, our Porsche dealer support is normally wonderful. While they may have a bad day, you and I have such bad days as well.

Speaking of Porsche dealers, sure there is a bad apple in the barrel, but I strongly suspect you have a bad apple in your own family. I know that I do. We don't condemn the barrel, rather we enjoy the many good apples. And deal with the bad apples on a case by case basis depending on the facts.

IMHO. Ed Merry

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'd rather have the Ferrari, but the cost of repairs on a Ferrari out of warranty spoils the equation, and brings me back to Porsche.

My friend had a perfect Ferrari 355 (bought it new) took great care of it, but little things were always needing to be replaced as the car aged. It kept him busy, but the price of parts made Porsche prices seem like a bargain ;)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
yeah all 360 challenge cars are coupes, they only made the 430 16m vert... i honestly think it is a bad move...

I have driven a few 360s and they are pretty nice cars... However, i prefer the coupe form.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd rather have the Ferrari, but the cost of repairs on a Ferrari out of warranty spoils the equation, and brings me back to Porsche.
The approved used scheme gives any Ferrari upto 8 years old a 2 year warranty when bought from a Ferrari main dealer. I am swapping the CS for an F430 when I find 'the one'.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
The approved used scheme gives any Ferrari upto 8 years old a 2 year warranty when bought from a Ferrari main dealer. I am swapping the CS for an F430 when I find 'the one'.
What to do after the 2 year warranty then? Big value hit for trade in or sell to other buyer who would then take on risk of maintenance? To me seems like cost deferment...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
they only made the 430 16m vert... i honestly think it is a bad move...
Having driven an F430 16M Scuderia Spider there is no comparison. I'd FedEx anything I needed on arrival to the other end of the trip. That would include a game plan for coming up with the next payment.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
The majority of Porsche sports cars are built for the affluent, people who have financial means that may be substantial and stable but are not unlimited. Ferrari ownership requires true wealth, i.e. people with blank checks who can pay for whatever it costs to acquire and maintain anything (car, yacht, race horse). Unless your idea of Ferrari ownership is an 18-24 month, 1500 mile/year stint mostly in the garage, a Porsche will always provide a more practical and less costly ownership experience.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What to do after the 2 year warranty then? Big value hit for trade in or sell to other buyer who would then take on risk of maintenance? To me seems like cost deferment...
Im not suggesting that the cost is not higher, just that you can have a little peace of mind and financial cushion when buying a used Ferrari.
All cars suffer depreciation when trading in, in the case of a used Ferrari the depreciation is actually often quite low and replacing every two years in order to maintain a warranty doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I rarely keep a car that long anyway.
If you cannot afford to buy and run a Ferrari and have disposable cash in the event of a failure then you shouldn't buy one. If you still want the experience every now and then join a supercar club.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The majority of Porsche sports cars are built for the affluent, people who have financial means that may be substantial and stable but are not unlimited. Ferrari ownership requires true wealth, i.e. people with blank checks who can pay for whatever it costs to acquire and maintain anything (car, yacht, race horse). Unless your idea of Ferrari ownership is an 18-24 month, 1500 mile/year stint mostly in the garage, a Porsche will always provide a more practical and less costly ownership experience.
I agree that a Porsche is a more practical and less costly ownership experience, even with the 24 month, 1500 mile caveat.
That said to me at least, a Ferrari is MORE of an experience.
Not that I don't enjoy the CS, I do, but I am not in the 'nothing else compares' club.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Indeed the Ferrari experience is unique, the music of the engine is a siren's song to be sure, often beckoning me against my better judgement!;) Whenever I get that urge I remind myself that I'm not in the league where I can wait 6 weeks for a replacement transmission costing $24k. Porsche has one item that nudges into this rarified atmosphere----PCCB. It "only" costs 8K to buy in, but crack a rotor and it's $4K. The Gen I PCCB "issues" had some owners facing $16K bill to replace the set.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've told my wife, if I hit the lottery, I'm building a 2nd garage that will hold four more cars: Turbo S, R8, F430 and Panamera.

In the meantime, I am more than fortunate to have been able to purchase my Cayman 35 years after my 356. I could not have even thought of this for the other cars.

I am thankful that Porsche, though not inexpensive, has taken the approach over the years to build wonderful cars, that give the stratospheric priced cars everything they can handle, but do it at a price point mere mortals like me can hope to attain.

My oldest son is just starting in life and hopefully getting his feet beneath him. He likes to read every issue of my Christophoros and yesterday told my wife and I he wants a Panamera some day. I could tell him with reasonable confidence that the dream IS attainable, if he works hard.:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with all the arguments that the Boxster Spyder is a much more practical and affordable ownership experience than the 360 Spider. However, Evo didn't consider any of the long term factors and judged the comparison based merely on the driving experience. I can't argue with their opinion that the 360 Spider is the greater thrill.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does anyone have a link to the EVO articke? I couldn't find it on the website.

Personally I would get the 360 Challenge Stradale - a much better car than the 360 Modena or Spider in handling and performance and in my personal opinion one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I'd even be prepared to put up with a roof for one of those cars! They are coming down in price too... hmmm

·
Registered
415 Posts
I guess I'm one of the only people who actually prefers the look of the 997s and 987s to the 360/430 Ferraris.

Look imho there is no prettier car than the 250 California Spyder, Daytona or Dino but the recent Ferrari's are rather too pointy and busy for my tastes.

I guess i just like rounded clean lines of Porsches. A bathtub on wheels from the 356 to the present their is something so true about the beauty of a Porsche the didn't have to change much after all these years

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I guess I'm one of the only people who actually prefers the look of the 997s and 987s to the 360/430 Ferraris.

Look imho there is no prettier car than the 250 California Spyder, Daytona or Dino but the recent Ferrari's are rather too pointy and busy for my tastes.

I guess i just like rounded clean lines of Porsches. A bathtub on wheels from the 356 to the present their is something so true about the beauty of a Porsche the didn't have to change much after all these years
I'm with you, I like the Porsche's lines better. Beautiful simplicity. And, it looks like TPC is going to put the Boxster Spyder in the supercar league real soon. Call me crazy, but I'd take a TPC Turbo'd Boxster Spyder over the Ferrari 458. I just love Porsches. The love goes way back. As a teenager I went to the Daytona 24 in '70 and '71 and Watkins Glen in '70 and saw the 917s thrash the 512s, so I've never been in awe of Ferrari, although it is my second favorite make.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts