Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read the v-flow air filter advertisement :

'' -Utilizes a custom 5 layer, non-oiled cotton air filter with pre-filter and a 6” injection molded Venturi that acts as a vacuum for cold-air ''

Why it says non-oiled ??? I Thought that v-flow is k&N oil filter...

Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I just swapped out my old V-flow filter for a new one and they both were non-oiled. I'll clean the old one and have it ready for the next swap in 10k miles or so.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I sent an email to EVOMS asking just that question, and also how to clean the filters. A new Cayman/Boxster filter is about $70 from them, and I don't believe it's a K&N as EVOMS has their own custom aluminum venturi.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
No. All I can do is provide what Justin at RennSport-1 said when I asked about the recent purchase. "The filter element is pre-oiled. There is no need to apply more oil at this time."

I also asked about a non-oiled version but can't find the response.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
O.k. guys, here's the story from EVOMS. The filters for the Cayman or Boxster are currently lightly oiled. They are working on getting some sort of dry filter like Synthamax, but the ones they sell now are oiled with K&N filter oil. They may be cleaned with a mild detergent or soap and water from the inside out. After drying the oil is lightly applied and slowly allowed to wick through out the body of the filter. The problem is that too much oil will cause certain MAF sensor fouling over time. One way of putting the oil back in a nearly dry way would be diluting the oil, say about 10:1, with a solvent like mineral spirits. After soaking the cleaned cotton filter in this dilute oil solution, the excess could be shaken out and then allowed to dry thoroughly leaving only a small safe oil residue. If any one else has or knows of a better idea, then please let us all hear about it. BTW, I took my filter out after only 5k miles and it was noticeably dirty but far from obstructed. EVOMS suggested cleaning the cotton filter elements every 10-20K miles under normal DD usage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone knows if you can order spare filters for V-flow ? Haven't found a link yet...Can you use only oil filter or someone else (except v-flow) have dry filters for 987 v-flow ??

Another question : is possible to use sock with the filter ??? I have see varius socks for air filters but don't know if these socks can apply to 987 v-flow ....

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
O.k., more poop. You can order an replacement filter for the V-Flow from EVOMS for $79 + shipping, but you have to call in the order as it's not online yet. You can order a K&N cleaning/oiling kit from lots of places or from K&N Air Filter Cleaning Kit for $24.95. I haven't tried the K&N kit yet, but it's made for these cotton filters. I don't know about using a sock, but there's surely plenty of room for one.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
One tip I've read for getting just lightly oiled is get the oil in a bottle and run a very thin bead down the top of the pleat only. And then let is set long enough to wick through. Blow it out with a compressor as K-man suggested makes sense for any excess.

The only kits I've found have the oil as an aerosol so I guess a very light hand and quick pass.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Seems a bit of concern piling in over this oiling thing. Put a very small amount on and it not a problem! I've posted much already on how to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.