Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could be proceeding next month with EVOMS RS 350 kit (that is confirmed inshallah). What I couldn't make up my mind on is the exhaust!

Since I never heard any exhaust on a Cayman other than the stock and since I don't have all the technical details about any other, I really cannot decide by myself... so I'll be trusting you guys (without holding anyone responsible don't worry). The price is not going to be a factor here... the main factors are hp, weight & sound.

Shall I go with the Capristo (everybody's favorite) or the Cargraphic (default by EVOMS)? Or should I go for other brands like Borla, Remus, Fabspeed, Tubi, SpeedArt, AWE... etc.

Please state your recommendation, explain why and state the hp and weight if you have them.

I appreciate everybody's help/contribution in advance.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Absolutely go with Capristo. Although I cant quantify HP gain, I expect it to be the highest because it can literally bypass the muffler. -Although mine does a partial bypass to limit the max noise.
But the number one reason is the remote control. -The ultimate boys toy for instant loud or quiet :) .

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Re: EVOMS RS 370 w Capristo or Cargraphic ?!

Yep another victory for Capristo in head to head tests. I think you'd be very happy with the Capristo and guess what they are still on sale until April 15th!
Dear Ken, (thank you for pulling my leg into all of these mods :( ) Yes obviously I'm going after the Capristo... but I plan to go after the complete system as I wanna go now all the way up to the RS 370 kit instead of the RS 350.

The offer ending April 15th, is not for the full system. Therefore, I'd be grateful if you can help me get a special offer for:
1) Capristo Full System from nicksforzaferrari
2) RS 370 from EVOMS or Sharkwerks (Evo v-flow non-oil & without exhaust system)
3) Or better if one party can provide me all of the above at a very attractive price.

Otherwise I may hold my horses (horsepowers in this case) until a group buy gets announced.

Last but not least, I understood from Sharky that there is a louder gear noise at idle for using lighter flywheel. Can you elaborate on that?

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts

Dear Ken, (thank you for pulling my leg into all of these mods :( ) Yes obviously I'm going after the Capristo... but I plan to go after the complete system as I wanna go now all the way up to the RS 370 kit instead of the RS 350.

The offer ending April 15th, is not for the full system. Therefore, I'd be grateful if you can help me get a special offer for:
1) Capristo Full System from nicksforzaferrari
2) RS 370 from EVOMS or Sharkwerks (Evo v-flow non-oil & without exhaust system)
3) Or better if one party can provide me all of the above at a very attractive price.

Otherwise I may hold my horses (horsepowers in this case) until a group buy gets announced.

Last but not least, I understood from Sharky that there is a louder gear noise at idle for using lighter flywheel. Can you elaborate on that?
I can't help you negotiate with sponsors, you have to do that yourself, that being said I did ask Nick about why they were running a special on the catback Capristo only and not the headers and he said it was because the headers have gone up in price because of the rise in cost of materials from the cat supplier. He'll still sell the headers at a discount, you just have to ask him, but he didn't want to make it a part of the group buy and scare people away from the systems entirely because of the cost of the headers. Please note, you could always source headers from another vendor if you didn't want to go with the Capristo headers, but the Capristo headers have been the only ones I know of to never have had a cat failure on a Cayman, so those extra dollars may just be buying you some quality and peace of mind too.

The RS350/370 solution is a good one, but again, you'll have to ask Alex what sort of special he will run either as a sale or group buy, it is up to him, I can't make him put things on sale. :hilarious:

As far as noise from a lightweight flywheel yes you will get more driveline noise when the car is not under load, such as idling at a stoplight, it seems to vary a bit by car too, mine is pretty minimal and I've forgotten it is even there, but some cars I've heard have been a bit louder. In normal driving you hear nothing different, at least in my case I don't. If you are going to do LWF you really ought to do the LSD/TBD at the same time with the tranny down, both are good options/mods to have although I think the LSD/TBD is probably a bit more useful in track driving, I'm also spoiled with how fast my engine revs up.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you can afford the Capristo go for it, I have the Cargraphic exhaust/headers and I love it, not loud at all, which is what I wanted.
Thank you Rotaz for your input... to be honest, it is not a matter of affording the Capristo or not as I could be canceling all my vacation plans for this year in order to get my Porsche up to my expectations and demands.

When I first bought it, its performance was fulfilling... but now, I feel it's just another car. And in this town that I have been working in for the past year there is absolutely no competition from another car on the road within 600 km radius. But it is a matter of self-satisfaction.

The sound being loud could be a disadvantage (for me) in the case of the Capristo, because I know I won't be able to keep it fully open 99% of the time. But what I seek in terms of sound is the Lamborghini roar, which is best with Capristo.

After reading Ken's comment, I think I may skip the light flywheel option and I'll wait now for the offer of the full Capristo system. If it turned out to be ridiculous then I'll stick with their April offer instead. In other words, I'll settle for the RS 350 kit w the Capristo.

·
3,755 Posts
You can opt for what I did and get the reduced volume. I've often been driving around town in open mode :) :) and its loud, but not extremely loud. Contact Nick you may get a good price for the whole system.

BTW, the burble on decelerate is awesome :) .

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can opt for what I did and get the reduced volume. I've often been driving around town in open mode :) :) and its loud, but not extremely loud. Contact Nick you may get a good price for the whole system.

BTW, the burble on decelerate is awesome :) .
Thank you my friend... your opinion proved to be very valuable to me all the time!

My questions are:
1) Did the reduced volume affect the hp?
2) Did the reduced volume affect the price?
3) Did you get the complete system?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

ought to do the LSD/TBD at the same time
Ken,

1) I understand what LSD is but I didn't understand what does the TBD stand for. And the links do not work as they lead to CaymanClub.net

2) Where can I get the best LSD/TBD system and price? (I think the price will be a factor here)

·
3,755 Posts
Thank you my friend... your opinion proved to be very valuable to me all the time!

My questions are:
1) Did the reduced volume affect the hp?
2) Did the reduced volume affect the price?
3) Did you get the complete system?
1. no. Its just in open mode. But I do notice some drone in closed mode.
2. no. Just have to wait for it to be made.
3. yes. Allas to get max power ;) .

TBD: Torque Biased Differential. Use the search function here.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Capristo sounds great on YouTube when it is on song, but I am not so convinced at idle or low revs which is most of the time in town. Can owners please tell me if that is the case or is it one of those things that hasn't translated well on the internet.

Also, if I am spending these sort of dollars, I want a light weight exhaust. Until Nick can get me some data on this which proves that it is a light system, I won't be ordering one.

Hassaan, you might want to wait for a bit (you have a month before the group buy ends) to see what Akrapovic has up their sleeves. As an exhaust company with OE contract for the GT2 exhaust and a supplier of exhaust to Porsche factory race team, you know it's going to be something special if they release a system. It's not going to be cheaper than Capristo, but it will be made entirely of titanium and guaranteed to save lots of weight. I think their full M3 system saves 23kg!

·
3,755 Posts
I dont think the weight is less because the metal is rather thick and strong. Never weighed it. Also the headers have a lot more and long pipe work (good) but that adds weight (bad). Also because the header is catless, its not compromised power wise.

At idle and low RPM my old Milltek sounded better. Deeper with a grumble and at full RPM it was ok but lacked any roar. This is because the pipe length is quite long due to the design.

Capristo closed is similar to the P.S.E. (but slightly louder) and is sporty and Porsche sounding.
Capristo open blurts, pops etc at low RPM :) . Idle open sounds almost the same as idle closed. Full RPM its roars like a Ferrari or a GT3 Cup car. Has a massive resonance in open at 2-2,5K RPM, but blends out if you keep the pedal down to redline.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I dont think the weight is less because the metal is rather thick and strong. Never weighed it. Also the headers have a lot more and long pipe work (good) but that adds weight (bad). Also because the header is catless, its not compromised power wise.

At idle and low RPM my old Milltek sounded better. Deeper with a grumble and at full RPM it was ok but lacked any roar. This is because the pipe length is quite long due to the design.

Capristo closed is similar to the P.S.E. (but slightly louder) and is sporty and Porsche sounding.
Capristo open blurts, pops etc at low RPM :) . Idle open sounds almost the same as idle closed. Full RPM its roars like a Ferrari or a GT3 Cup car. Has a massive resonance in open at 2-2,5K RPM, but blends out if you keep the pedal down to redline.
thanks 4by4, that is very useful info. However, given yours is a bespoke system, I am wondering if other owners could share their experience as well and see if it's any different. And if anyone in Melbourne, Australia has one, please let me know and I would love to hear it!

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Capristo sounds great on YouTube when it is on song, but I am not so convinced at idle or low revs which is most of the time in town. Can owners please tell me if that is the case or is it one of those things that hasn't translated well on the internet.

Also, if I am spending these sort of dollars, I want a light weight exhaust. Until Nick can get me some data on this which proves that it is a light system, I won't be ordering one.

Hassaan, you might want to wait for a bit (you have a month before the group buy ends) to see what Akrapovic has up their sleeves. As an exhaust company with OE contract for the GT2 exhaust and a supplier of exhaust to Porsche factory race team, you know it's going to be something special if they release a system. It's not going to be cheaper than Capristo, but it will be made entirely of titanium and guaranteed to save lots of weight. I think their full M3 system saves 23kg!
Way,
I think you are looking at this in a skewed fashion perhaps. First off the entire Cayman system from the factory probably weighs 50 or 60lbs at most I'm guessing, it certainly is nowhere near as heavy as all the exhaust plumbing on the M3!, so even if you remove it entirely and replaced it with a system made of unobtanium that magically weighed nothing your weight savings of 50-60 lbs would be 5-6hp (formula is 10lbs = 1hp)

So let's say you have a Capristo system that weighs 10 lbs less than stock and produces 27 hp more than stock. Your total gain would be

27HP + removing 10lbs (1HP) = 28HP effective gain in the performance of the car.

Now let's say you have a titanium system that produces 21hp more than stock (I'm being a bit generous because I know of only 1 other system to dyno that well but I'm just making a point) and that system weighs 40lbs less than the stock system.

21HP + removing 40lbs(4HP) = 25HP effective gain in the performance of the car.

The titanium system costs more and the net effect on performance is less, and oh btw it isn't adjustable like the Capristo is.

I'm not sure how the titanium system "wins" other than you can tell people "my exhaust is made of titanium!" :)

BTW I also heard from Nick that he has an inquiry into Germany for the Capristo weights and is waiting to hear back. I'm sure he'll post something soon.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Way,
I think you are looking at this in a skewed fashion perhaps. First off the entire Cayman system from the factory probably weighs 50 or 60lbs at most I'm guessing, it certainly is nowhere near as heavy as all the exhaust plumbing on the M3!, so even if you remove it entirely and replaced it with a system made of unobtanium that magically weighed nothing your weight savings of 50-60 lbs would be 5-6hp (formula is 10lbs = 1hp)

So let's say you have a Capristo system that weighs 10 lbs less than stock and produces 27 hp more than stock. Your total gain would be

27HP + removing 10lbs (1HP) = 28HP effective gain in the performance of the car.

Now let's say you have a titanium system that produces 21hp more than stock (I'm being a bit generous because I know of only 1 other system to dyno that well but I'm just making a point) and that system weighs 40lbs less than the stock system.

21HP + removing 40lbs(4HP) = 25HP effective gain in the performance of the car.

The titanium system costs more and the net effect on performance is less, and oh btw it isn't adjustable like the Capristo is.

I'm not sure how the titanium system "wins" other than you can tell people "my exhaust is made of titanium!" :)

BTW I also heard from Nick that he has an inquiry into Germany for the Capristo weights and is waiting to hear back. I'm sure he'll post something soon.
Regardless to which one is better in the end, but thank you Ken for this very informative comment.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.