Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the alert that this article was coming and so, when the magazine arrived, I went straight to it.

I was interested in seeing a comparison of the best of the 987's to the best (but not GT4) 981 Cayman.
To be fair, I do own a '15 GTS (PDK, PTV, X-73, and various other creature comfort options) -- see my avatar.

Actually, I wan not sure what to expect, but I did expect the Cayman R to be a very special car, and the reports of the GTS's excellence are numerous. Maybe I was expecting a Randy Prost back-to-back road and track test. But what the article presented was a comparison of nominal acceleration specifications and a subjective comparison of a likely back-to-back spin down the road.

OK, the verdict was that the Cayman R was "... the better sports car" -- sorry if that is a spoiler, and I'm really not complaining about the article's verdict. But I was disappointed in the extent of subjectivity, e.g. "... Though it (the R) may be as fast as the GTS on paper, in the real world it actually feels quicker than the newer, more powerful car." There were a number of other and similar "feels..." this and that comments. Yea, I guess I was expecting that Randy Prost comparison at speed..

Extrapolating from the opinion's expressed in the article, here is "my" take: If you value an edgy, raw driving experience and equate that to "sports car", than the author made the correct conclusion. His last comment was, " I'll take the R's purity over the GTS polish any day of the week".

My take is that a more refined car can be the better "sports car", and definitely the better "GT car". I was interested to see if the 981's improvement in chassis rigidity and extended wheel base really made the car drive better. Based on years in my 07 Cayman and now the 981, the 981 seems to be a less edgy drive -- but that would be "subjective".

While this is turning out to be more of a rant than post, I can live with the Cayman R being the more edgy "sports" car, while the GTS is the more polished GT/sports car (not a GT in the sense of an Panamera, or Jag, or Tesla). And while I still would like Randy to do that back-to-back, I'd bet that the two cars would post very similar "times" on a performance track, though they would get there with their own, unique "feel".

Now, take the 981 and throw in total game changing mods (3.8 L, GT3 and bespoken suspensions, major aero mods) and THAT would make the better sports car/GT car -- no comparison at all!! My GTS and I can live with that!

D

·
Incurable Gearhead
948 Posts
Not to pick nits, but he's a great guy and his last name is Pobst. ;)

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I am actually not surprised about the outcome. The Cayman R is more raw, the HP difference (if any) is negligible. The steering is better, suspension is probably stiffer as well. At the same time the 981 GTS is more refined and "modern". However I don't get the last comparison - throw a 3.8 in a CR and let's see what happens.... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for correcting my mis-spelling of Randy's name -- Pobst -- got it.
My point with the GT4 references is that to significantly differentiate a Cayman from the R and GTS, you need significant mods.
Re-reading the article, I wonder if the subjective difference was also fueled by the often discussed differences in MT vs PDK boxes...
I still would like to get a read on the effect of the stiffer and longer wheelbase chassis.
D.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I liked the article (then again I'm obviously biased!). FYI Pobst turned a slightly better time at LS in a 981 CS then he did in the CR. I think his conclusion was the 981 chassis worked a bit better for him there. No reason to think a GTS wouldn't improve on that. Seems like all his testing for Motortrend now is being done at Willow springs so I doubt we get a same track based comparison from him.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI Pobst turned a slightly better time at LS in a 981 CS then he did in the CR. I think his conclusion was the 981 chassis worked a bit better for him there.
Thanks RDCR... I think this was the back to back comparo that I was looking for, and in particular the comment on the 981 chassis. .. and I do "believe" the difference was/would have been only "slightly" ---

Then again, Pobst could easily take a Prisus and blow "me" away... so maybe the track beast that cajundaddy was referring to isn't pulling out a couple hundred pounds, but installing a better driver !! I am, for sure, a poster boy for a driver that is not as good as many/most of our Porsches!!

D

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
From what I've read, the 981 chassis is also a bit stiffer, witha higher torsional frequency, and that helps too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts