Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exclusive option: 987 "bespoke cayman" - gt street / turbo / full leather everything

We just got an interesting 987 project here at Exclusive Option. Initially, this enthusastic first time Porsche owner was looking to purchase a 07 997 GT3 and do several Exclusive Option leather interior upgrades. However after much time searching and unable to find a perfect car and contemplating the livability of the GT3 , he came to our shop for a bit of advice and consultation. Being a fan of the mid-engine platform and the possibility of unleashing some creativity, the result of our extensive conversation was that a 987 with tasteful and quility modifications would be a worthy compromise. So the project "BESPOKE CAYMAN" was born, a comprehensive plan to convert a stock 987 Cayman S into something special. Prerequisites for this project would be a unique Cayman that could be driven daily, turn heads, keep up performance-wise with the latest of Porsches, and lastly our specialty… an interior ambiance that would be second to none. Stay Tuned. IMG_1113.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Exclusive option: 987 "bespoke cayman" - gt street / turbo / full leather everyth

A last look at the complete white 987.1 Cayman S before surgery... DSC02327.JPG DSC02328.jpg DSC02337.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Exclusive option: 987 "bespoke cayman" - gt street / turbo / full leather everyth

A little peak at what interesting leather options our project Cayman will feature... can't forget that Exclusive Option Leather Key! DSC02295.JPG DSC_0532.JPG DSC01048.JPG DSC03358.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The most recent leather parts that have completed production...they look as beautiful alone as they will be once installed! 2012-01-11 17.50.31.jpg DSC00705.JPG DSC02666.JPG DSC02673.JPG DSC02743.JPG DSC07069.JPG

·
Registered
3,117 Posts

Very interesting. Can you share what the owner is planning to do performance-wise? The interior leather bits completed so far look great. Presumably the seats will also get the contrasting stitching treatment? Are you planning to redo the Sport Seats or use something else?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

This Cayman S is already a very capable out of the box, but the following performance upgrades will be made:

TPC Turbo Kit Stage II
Techart Lowered Suspension
Porsche Cayman R Sway Bar/Bushings
Porsche OEM Short Shift Kit
Sprint Booster Throttle Response Module

The combination of these selected performance modifications will yield a torquey 987 that will be as enjoyable on freeway runs, as it will be carving up the canyons. Not a complete track car, but a well rounded performer around town.

BTW: Here is a sneak peak at the sport seats... a work in progress. IMG_7414.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts

oh god why did you use a mig on a tig stainless exhaust! and on a porsche!
Interior work looks top notch, but as a welder seeing these not back purged makes me cringe as those welds will fail. (just caused a crap ton of "sugaring" on the back side of the weld which is oxidation of the base iron combined with chromium bonding with the carbon in the steel causing carbide precipitates which act as stress risers. couple that with the chromium no longer adding to anti-corrosion properties and double combine that with now you have (in effect) dissimilar metals in contact + a lot of heat and moisture and you should see pretty advanced levels of corrosion locally at that joint in no-time.

Mig is fine if you don't care about looks and inside penetration path intrusion, as long as you use the correct flush and purge gas (90/10 for mig. [90% argon, 10% co2]) and stainless filler, but those components are of utmost importance.

for best looks and quality it should have been fully back purged, tig welded, with a large gas lens gas distributor and 309 or higher 300 series filler used.

Reactions: the_vetman

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts

oh god why did you use a mig on a tig stainless exhaust! and on a porsche!
Interior work looks top notch, but as a welder seeing these not back purged makes me cringe as those welds will fail. (just caused a crap ton of "sugaring" on the back side of the weld which is oxidation of the base iron combined with chromium bonding with the carbon in the steel causing carbide precipitates which act as stress risers. couple that with the chromium no longer adding to anti-corrosion properties and double combine that with now you have (in effect) dissimilar metals in contact + a lot of heat and moisture and you should see pretty advanced levels of corrosion locally at that joint in no-time.

Mig is fine if you don't care about looks and inside penetration path intrusion, as long as you use the correct flush and purge gas (90/10 for mig. [90% argon, 10% co2]) and stainless filler, but those components are of utmost importance.

for best looks and quality it should have been fully back purged, tig welded, with a large gas lens gas distributor and 309 or higher 300 series filler used.
I think you may have missed that the didn't use that one pipe in question but simply replaced the TPC tips with longer ones to clear the valence. Thanks for the welding tips but not necessary in this case....

·
Registered
180 Posts

Would love to see the completed interior! Is it ready to be shown off??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts

I see that you guys are in California, will the car reside here as well? Wondering about the CARB with the TPC kit.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I think you may have missed that the didn't use that one pipe in question but simply replaced the TPC tips with longer ones to clear the valence. Thanks for the welding tips but not necessary in this case....
If you look at some of the welding pictures it looks like he welded new tips on, but also had to adjust the pipe as it comes out of the muffler.

While these are not critical joints, so they should be fine ( not in the header etc) the welder is still a MIG and it is still not being back purged.

not my best attempt, but I welded some scrap a while back to look at my root penetration.

This is what the inside of a stainless pipe should look like after welding. (must be back-purged. if not you get sugaring which messes with the boundary layer on the inside of the pipe and causes lots of turbulence and back pressure)

This is the inside of a pipe when mig welded and not back purged

that is a few things. Highly advanced levels of corrosion due to the presence of oxygen while the metal was extremely hot (facilitates the oxidation of the metal) -> gives you a electrolytic difference in the base material (facilitate future corrosion)

chromium carbide formation -> at elevated temperatures chromium moves through the steel (as does carbon) and they bond together and form a carbide precipitate which no longer fits in the interstitial points in the base material. This causes a local stress riser and is an EXCELLENT initiator for cracks and crack propagation.

Now, structurally this will probably be fine. It is a low load system. But I would not expect the tip weld or the weld on the muffler that they altered to last 10 years without cracking or developing a hole (provided the customer actually drives the car regularly. Less if they are up north and see road salt ever) (heat cycling from the engine + moisture from condensate will not help)

welds in question:

Interior work is truly top notch looking though.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts

Don't miss my article on installing some of the Exclusive Option interior parts in my car.

The article can be found here: Custom Interior Parts - Articles

1 - 19 of 19 Posts