·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 987S with 280HP
I figure a Softronic flash should give me 15 hp
plenum if available another 10 hp
and a catback exhaust another 10 hp

Any recommendations? Are these hp estimates feasible?

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I have some ocean front property in Dallas...

All these claims are wildly exaggerated.

Look at the factory offerings from AM and Porsche, and you can draw your own conclusions. These are factory options, so they cannot throw around HP figures and run the risk of a lawsuit.

I have an AM Vantage V8, with the factory power pack. The stock HP is 380, and the power pack adds 20 HP with all the following modifications, for a total of 400 HP.

“To squeeze out more grunt, the engineers in Gaydon, U.K. employed a reworked induction system based on the unit used by the DBS. The system allows for more air to pass into the engine via valves activated at 5,500 rpm, thus creating further power. Matched to the induction setup is a recalibrated ECU. All told, the dealer-installed power pack raises the car's top speed to 177 mph and slightly decreases the sprint to 60 mph, so say the Aston Martin officials”.

Here is the X51 Power Kit that was offered for 2005-2008 997 Carerra S models. The stock car has 355 HP, and the X51 Kit adds 26 HP, for a total of 381 HP. Again, this was a factory offering.

“For those who crave just a bit more, Porsche also offers the "X51 Power Kit" for the Carrera S that includes revised cylinder heads, a carbon-fiber air cleaner housing, aluminum air intake, modified exhaust manifolds and revised engine control computer programming. Porsche says that's enough to punt output up to 381 hp and drop the 0-60-mph time by two-tenths of a second”.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
All these claims are wildly exaggerated.
How so. The difference you overlook is what the manufacturers can offer whilst still keeping with their local regulations i.e. TUV for Porsche and fitting into the market they are aiming for.

Exhausts as an example have been proven independantly on here to provide 8-31 hp and that is a fact you cannot argue with. Porsche cannot do this because they tune the exhaust sound to what they beleive a Cayman should sound like and to conform with noise output regulations from TUV.

The figures you put gtsilver could generate those gains alone, but you cannot say this mod gave such and such 10 hp so I will get 10 hp, because it is dependent on the mods on a specific car and a combination of mods does not always add up as expected. The figures you gave are at the upper end for the flash and Plenum and you could expect less, but the exhaust dependent on the system could be much higher or slightly lower than your estimate.

The exhaust system on the Cayman is definately restrictive and would be one of the first items I'd look to change personally....also because the car sounds much better afterwards as well!

Do some searching on here and you'll find plenty of info from members who've done before and after dynos for the mods you mention. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I stand by my post.

26 HP from all the following modifications, directly from the Porsche factory. Do you want me to believe that an exhaust gives "up to" 31HP?

Revised cylinder heads
Carbon-fiber air cleaner housing
Aluminum air intake
Modified exhaust manifolds
Revised ECU

·
Registered
975 Posts

You're in the ballpark for BHP, but a little higher than I'd expect to see if you're talking WHP. If you're interested in seeing the numbers on paper I'd suggest a baseline and a post mods dyno. But if you're just looking to have a car that feels and sounds faster you won't be dissapointed with those mods. Having all 3 will be something you will definitely feel, especially when the revs are above 4500.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

My understanding of dyno readings is that they don't always convey an accurate picture of actual HP gains. Therefore it's nice to get a consensus from some of the knowldegable folks on this board.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I stand by my post.

26 HP from all the following modifications, directly from the Porsche factory. Do you want me to believe that an exhaust gives "up to" 31HP?

Revised cylinder heads
Carbon-fiber air cleaner housing
Aluminum air intake
Modified exhaust manifolds
Revised ECU
I would say "some" manufacturer claims are either exaggerated or are a "best case" scenario that they advertise and not the average of what someone will get. However, I do think you are mistaken about the Cayman. You reference the 911 powerkit, there is no such similar thing for the Cayman. The Cayman has a more restrictive exhaust than the 911 both for technical and marketing reasons. I have installed exhaust systems that have netted 22 and 25 HP gains at the wheels as shown by back to back dyno runs, same day, same dyno. Can an exahust system get you 31? Maybe, but that's probably at the crank and not at the wheels.

There is also the issue of mods not being cumulative, but some mods working better with others. In a nutshell my car dyno'd at 265-267 hp bone stock, these days it dynos at 333-335 with my mods, same dyno, obviously different days but it dynos there consistently, even a year apart it still dynos in the same range. Does my car have more power from the mods? Sure. How much faster is it than stock? Don't know, never ran detailed acceleration tests to see.

So no, I would never take advertised claims as being what you are likely to get, but rather I'd recommend looking at what other members here have been able to get on their own independent dynos.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts

Being something of a tech nut, I have studied a lot of the data and combinations. I do not believe that incrementally modifying and documenting the power increase is worth the trouble or even much discussion. At the end of the day, you are measuring the complete system performance and because the intake, flash, and exhaust are all interdependent on the performance of the other two, it is not reasonable to bookkeep individual components. If I wanted to maximize the performance "gain" of an exhaust, I would put the best inlet and plenum and flash on the car with a standard exhaust, measure it, then put the high flow exhaust on and measure it again. I have also seen data plots that seem to make claims based on unexplained data spikes and before-and-after scenarios without documenting the atmospheric conditions. The bottom line is that after market parts makers are in business to sell their products and very few will advertise an "at least" or "not less than" number. IMO, the fact that Porsche consistently advertises minimum expected performance is technically admirable, but they could possibly make a few more sales by quoting performance from cherry-picked engines.

There have been hundreds of posts on power generation, dynos, and mods, some of which have become quite contentious. Plus, there are numerous considerations other than power that will influence your decision. I chose my exhaust more for sound than power, but I would have not replaced it without a power gain. I chose my flash and plenum because of the combination of performance, price, and customer support. I have never dyno'd my car and I performed the entire mod at the same time. The car is clearly quicker, gets better gas mileage, and has a sound that makes me smile without bugging the neighbors. I am 100% happy.

I guess the advice here is to take everything into account and your intended use of the car. Your exhaust selection may be different if you intend to transport the car to the track versus drive it in your neighborhood. If you are trying to balance power versus noise, think about the percentage of time you will be asking for the power versus hearing the exhaust. And then there is money.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Here's data point. On a Cayman S I saw +24 rwhp gain with the following mods:

Fabspeed headers (with 200-cell cats) + catback exhaust
SRP 4.1
Desnork

These gains were measured by before-and-after dyno runs on the very same dyno. You can find the results in the dyno forum.

For street driving, you want to focus on more than just the maximum hp gain. What really matters is where in the rpm range the gains are realized. Ideally you want to see gains from the bottom end to top end. Some people call it "area under the curve". That's what makes the car "feel" faster to most people.

With mods I listed above for the Cayman S, the torque gain was quite uniform (+20 to +25 lb-ft) from about 2500 rpm to redline. You could really feel the difference compared to stock. The infamous torque dip around 3500 rpm was pretty much eliminated and the modified car drove like a different machine with considerably more guts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i started with a stock cayman S tiptronic. 1st mod was softronic flash + SRP + BMC drop in filter. Could instantly feel the difference between stock. was deciding on which aftermarket exhaust since the stock exhaust isn't sounding great n wanted something more free flowing. finally decided to go with milltek catback and replaced the secondary cats with connecting pipes. Again, i could feel somemore power n torque gain. its significantly better throughout the rpm esp in midrange with millteks fitted. sounds great (more solid sounding) and no drone or watsoever. isn't too loud compated to stock until i wake up the neighbours. there is a slight resonance betwenn 2.8 to 3.3k rpm but its acceptable considering the gains it gives. no regrets with all the mods. i didn't do any dyno but my butt feel does tell me that its significantly faster than stock!
wat's next? just enjoy the drive!
:hilarious:

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,765 Posts
You can forget the SRP with the 3.2L. Best you can do is the exhaust and flash. The SpeedArt was dynoed at 15 WHP, you might get up to 20 with a flash on top. Your looking at a turbo or engine swap for more power than that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts